[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do get a number in the com block and how do I remove kies from the phone its a stock app and kies isnt on my laptop

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes I do get a number in the com block and how do I remove kies from the phone its a stock app and kies isnt on my laptop

I was talking about your laptop....If it's not installed no problem... which file are you flashing in Odin? It should be
recovery.tar.md5 on your laptop.

"Team epic root from recovery" should be on your phones sdcard and flashed from cwm immediately after flashing recovery in Odin.

You may be doing this, just covering the bases....

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
When I plug my phone into the computer it detects it as a media device and not a mounted SD card and does not allow me to transfer the zip file (or any files at all) into the Phone or ExternalSD card. What am I doing wrong? Win7 here.

Usb debugging is checked
Connected as a media device (not camera)

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
When I plug my phone into the computer it detects it as a media device and not a mounted SD card and does not allow me to transfer the zip file (or any files at all) into the Phone or ExternalSD card. What am I doing wrong? Win7 here.

Usb debugging is checked
Connected as a media device (not camera)

you should be able to go to my computer and see your phone listed with the drives as SPH-L710. Double click on it. It should open another window that shows 2 drives (card & phone) double click on either the card card or phone and copy the file you want there.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was talking about your laptop....If it's not installed no problem... which file are you flashing in Odin? It should be
recovery.tar.md5 on your laptop.

"Team epic root from recovery" should be on your phones sdcard and flashed from cwm immediately after flashing recovery in Odin.

You may be doing this, just covering the bases....

Ive tried both recovery.tar.md5 and I have team epic root from recovery on my external sd card not the phone memory. And my laptop does show both cards if I just plug my phone into it

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
you should be able to go to my computer and see your phone listed with the drives as SPH-L710. Double click on it. It should open another window that shows 2 drives (card & phone) double click on either the card card or phone and copy the file you want there.
Still doesn't work. I'm pretty familiar with rooting phones like the HTC evo 4g but for some reason after getting this new galaxy the phone doesn't 'Mount' like the old phones did. It only reads it as a media device and doesn't allow me to do copy anything to the root directory (SD or Phone folders). The reason I'm needing to root is because I accidentally deleted some photos and this program won't work unless it's mounted on the computer. And the only way to mount this phone to the computer is to use an app that requires root....

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ive tried both recovery.tar.md5 and I have team epic root from recovery on my external sd card not the phone memory. And my laptop does show both cards if I just plug my phone into it

Try redownloading the files.

droidsg3

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Nice Write up. Was able to get the SG3 rooted with the insturctions provided here on the site, and loaded Wifi Tether - Trev E Mod that was recently released for the wifi. However, I ended up loading up Super Su from the market, as with just Superuser the Wifi Tether would not work. Question - Does it hurt to keep both applications going? Both Super Su and Superuser - my phone seems to be working well with both of them. Read post about people trying to remove one or the other and when instructions are not followed correctly they get wierd errors due to rooting and binary things that I don't understand yet. Currently there are alot of compatibility issues but if removing Super Su and the newest Trev Mod and installing just one other Wifi Tether App is better that would be easier than anything that might involve flashing for now.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Nice Write up. Was able to get the SG3 rooted with the insturctions provided here on the site, and loaded Wifi Tether - Trev E Mod that was recently released for the wifi. However, I ended up loading up Super Su from the market, as with just Superuser the Wifi Tether would not work. Question - Does it hurt to keep both applications going? Both Super Su and Superuser - my phone seems to be working well with both of them. Read post about people trying to remove one or the other and when instructions are not followed correctly they get wierd errors due to rooting and binary things that I don't understand yet. Currently there are alot of compatibility issues but if removing Super Su and the newest Trev Mod and installing just one other Wifi Tether App is better that would be easier than anything that might involve flashing for now.

You can leave both... but it is pretty easy to remove the old superuser. Using a file explorer, just delete the superuser apk in system apps.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
After updating are you going to want to root again?

Also needed to know if you removed or froze any of the Sprint or Samsung pre-installed software?
When I rooted I immediately removed Sprint and Samsung apps and when I updated to the version before the current one I had no problems - it just reinstalled most of them. Will this update be different? I assume I'm fine because I was fine before and it restored some apps.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Try redownloading the files.

I got a sucessfull root I had to reinstall the drivers and everything on another computer. I noticed when I reinstalled the drivers there was different drivers that were installed

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a sucessfull root I had to reinstall the drivers and everything on another computer. I noticed when I reinstalled the drivers there was different drivers that were installed

Great news. Removing and re-installing drivers is the first thing i said. Yes, I updated the drivers with windows 8 compatible drivers.

mcasas

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
gottta say much easier to root than my optimus s. almost fool proof with the directions as long as the drivers and the computer coperate

edit: what apps are safe to remove right now im stock rooted custom recovery backed up,and how do you rename backed nandroids

Parnelli98

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
gottta say much easier to root than my optimus s. almost fool proof with the directions as long as the drivers and the computer coperate

edit: what apps are safe to remove right now im stock rooted custom recovery backed up,and how do you rename backed nandroids

To rename the backups go to the cwm folder / Backups hold press and hold the file you want to rename choose rename from the menu. Name it what you want but you can't have any spaces in the name.

Example: 12Dec2012_Wicked_Sensations

neyox

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Are there any requirements that your S3 must have, such as Android version? (Mine is 4.1.1) Or anything else? Or is the only requirement that it has to be from Sprint?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Are there any requirements that your S3 must have, such as Android version? (Mine is 4.1.1) Or anything else? Or is the only requirement that it has to be from Sprint?

Did you read the thread? This question is answered about a dozen times in the thread.

Simple answer. Yes, the only requirement is that you have Sprint Samsung GS3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol