Would it be wise to use Google wallet while rooted?

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It's the same app nothing changes lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Well I'm rooted and when I pull up the app there's a banner at the top stating device not supported. I touch the banner and it takes me to Google stating its not safe to use device while rooted for security reasons. I don't remember it showing that while stock.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The banner is only there because it's rooted....the app still works as it normally would.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm rooted and when I pull up the app there's a banner at the top stating device not supported. I touch the banner and it takes me to Google stating its not safe to use device while rooted for security reasons. I don't remember it showing that while stock.

the only reason that's there, so If someone hacks your phone and gets into your account, you can't blame it on them.

el_mariach

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
the only reason that's there, so If someone hacks your phone and gets into your account, you can't blame it on them.

How likely is that to happen? Anyone hear of some one being hacked on their phone? It just kinda sounds silly to me someone hacking my phone. Guess they can hack it if they want a bunch of pictures of guitars or something nothing really important on here. Hahaha

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How likely is that to happen? Anyone hear of some one being hacked on their phone? It just kinda sounds silly to me someone hacking my phone. Guess they can hack it if they want a bunch of pictures of guitars or something nothing really important on here. Hahaha

While I trust all the developers I've dealt with, it would be pretty easy for some code to be put into a custom ROM that could send the bank account information to him.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

There's been a couple of nfc hacks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The reason it's there is more of a disclaimer. It's telling you that if you have issues with Google Wallet and your phone is rooted, you're sh!t outta luck. It's not so much about your phone being hacked.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
If you use Cyanogenmod 9 or 10, you can actually turn root on/off with the touch of a button (in settings). So you could run Cyanogenmod and then turn off root access for apps to better protect the phone.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you use Cyanogenmod 9 or 10, you can actually turn root on/off with the touch of a button (in settings). So you could run Cyanogenmod and then turn off root access for apps to better protect the phone.

You can also do this with OTA RootKeeper. It would suck having to load cyanogenmod just for wallet.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, no thank you. I really don't trust using my debit card to pay for stuff. I could only imagine having all my info on my phone that can be easily retrieved by a hacker. I rather pay with cash.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power