Are ota's safe after root?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Rooted my first Android device today but didn't rom it because I'm just getting into this stuff, but I have a quick question, as a rooted non rommed user, are ota's safe?

Like will I be a able to get jelly bean and everything will work fine or will I have to unroot before any ota updates?
On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Normally you don't want to accept an OTA while rooted. Most likely if you do, you will just lose root but if you've messed with system files like freezing/deleting bloat (pre-installed apps) or any other system file including an unlocked bootloader... you run into the chance of soft bricking the phone.

So you can either unroot/return the phone to stock... then accept the OTA and re-root the phone afterwards (given the OTA doesn't mess with the root procedure)...

...Or usually developers will release a version of the OTA that's safe to flash to a rooted phone. (your best bet)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response, I only rooted, i didnt unlock the bootloader and have 0 idea what that is anyway

I'm only concerned about this for the upcoming jelly bean update that we will eventually get so I guess I'll deal with this when the update comes out

And I haven't frozen any apps or anything

So how does this unroot thing work anyway? Is it easy?

To root u just added a file to my phone, plugged it into my computer, ran it, popped out the battery etc

So is unrooting a simular process?

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
-Yes unrooting is the same procedure.. you just take the stock ROM image and flash it back to the phone in the ODIN program.
-You'll need the bootloader unlocked if you're looking to flash/install custom ROMs.
-You can freeze the OTA update file so you're not caught unexpectedly by the update being pushed automatically to the phone: (this is for Verizon, not 100% sure if its the same file name for Sprint)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-latest-verizon-ota-rooted-phones-imm76d.html

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
-Yes unrooting is the same procedure.. you just take the stock ROM image and flash it back to the phone in the ODIN program.
-You'll need the bootloader unlocked if you're looking to flash/install custom ROMs.
-You can freeze the OTA update file so you're not caught unexpectedly by the update being pushed automatically to the phone: (this is for Verizon, not 100% sure if its the same file name for Sprint)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-latest-verizon-ota-rooted-phones-imm76d.html

Oh ok, thanks for all the info, I guess I'll either start looking at roms this week :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The Sprint version gs3 doesn't have a locked boot loader. All you need to do to flash a custom rom is flash custom recovery in Odin and superuser in recovery. Everything is spot on. Once rooted the easiest way to update is flashing an updated rom from one of the great developers.

However going back to stock has been made easier. The Sprint guys can now flash a single file IN RECOVERY that removes root, busy box and installs stock recovery and stock rom. Doesn't get much easier than that.

To stop ota notifications on the sprint gs3, the best way is to accept the ota. It will boot to custom recovery and fail. Then reboot the phone and the ota notification doesn't come back. You won't lose root not will you brick the phone. T

The Sprint and AT&T versions aren't locked down like Verizon and therefore much easier to deal with. Many of the things that can kill a Verizon gs3 has no effect on the gs3's from Sprint and AT&T.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The Sprint version gs3 doesn't have a locked boot loader. All you need to do to flash a custom rom is flash custom recovery in Odin and superuser in recovery. Everything is spot on. Once rooted the easiest way to update is flashing an updated rom from one of the great developers.

However going back to stock has been made easier. The Sprint guys can now flash a single file IN RECOVERY that removes root, busy box and installs stock recovery and stock rom. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Thanks

In can you tell me in your opinion what is so special about roms?

Like I always hear they are like launchers but better, but can you like give me a insight into what big features they have and maybe your top 5 roms for this phone please? Thanks so much in advance

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

In can you tell me in your opinion what is so special about roms?

Like I always hear they are like launchers but better, but can you like give me a insight into what big features they have and maybe your top 5 roms for this phone please? Thanks so much in advance

ROM's are not really like launchers. The rom is your operating system and resides on the phones "read only memory" which is why it's called a ROM. The ROM is you is your operating system and user interface.

The kernel is what connects your hardware to your rom kind of like the device manager on your Windows machine.

There is no "best" rom for your phone. It is pointless. If you ask 10 different people what their favorite rom is, you are likely to get 10 different answers.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, btw will you lose Samsung specific software like smart stay and smart alert after romming?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, btw will you lose Samsung specific software like smart stay and smart alert after romming?

The ROM's I've listed are touch wiz based and smart stay is still included and much of the software.

Jellybomb is the most stripped down and AnaKonda is the least. Wicked Sensations is sort of in the middle. But I believe smart stay is in all of them.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
How about cyanogen mod 10? I keep hearing about that one

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded rom manager and flashed that thing at the top, i think it's called clockwork mod recovery or something

So all I have to do now is download,backup, wipe and then run the rom I guess?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just downloaded rom manager and flashed that thing at the top, i think it's called clockwork mod recovery or something

So all I have to do now is download,backup, wipe and then run the rom I guess?

Please do not use rom manager if you can help it. It has been known to mess up.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Please do not use rom manager if you can help it. It has been known to mess up.

I'm not suprised, when I was downloading the flash thingy it stopped responding so I closed it and did it again and it worked

But it seems like the easiest fastest way to rom I guess, idk

I don't intend on download roms every day, like I see cyanogen has updates every day and I don't see a need to constantly update unless its a huge upgrade

I sort of feel safer doing it the rom manager way than the usb computer way, but I'll see, still looking up videos and stuff on these roms

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You can still use ROM Manager.. to boot into CWM Recovery.. Just dont download ROMs or mods through ROM Manager. Download the ROMs straight to your phone from the developers threads (Rootzwiki, XDA Developers).

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You can still use ROM Manager.. to boot into CWM Recovery.. Just dont download ROMs or mods through ROM Manager. Download the ROMs straight to your phone from the developers threads (Rootzwiki, XDA Developers).

Ooh ok, thx

I just backed up my stock rom and then it booted back up and now I see that I only have like 3.50 gb left when the other day I had 8gb and the backup said it only took 23mb in my files

What the heck took up 5gb?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke