Are ota's safe after root?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. The backup should be more then 23MB... Im using CleanROM which is a stock based ROM and its about 700-800mb.. close to a gig.. and thats just the ROM itself. A nandroid backup is backing up everything on the phone including apps + data. Depending how much is stored on your phone.. 2-3gb sounds about right.
You can always move Nandroid backups to your computer to free up space. I recommend keeping at least one backup stored on the phone though in case of an emergency.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is supposed to be the file

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349734089745.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349734089745.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 11
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I was able to free up a few mbs by un installing some useless apps

But still cannot find it

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349734383707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349734383707.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 222

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I was able to free up a few mbs by un installing some useless apps

But still cannot find it

Yea its showing your system ROM at 1.5gb.. Something is wrong with that backup you made.
Here is my stock ROM backup:
uploadfromtaptalk1349734914261.jpg

What cant you find.. the sdm file? It might be different for Sprint.. Im on Verizon.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Was just playing with widget locker home helper when I noticed some weird thing at the bottom

Wth is that zzz thing?

Also I wonder if the 5gb had something to do with me backing up apex and widget locker

But I cannot find them on my card either...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349735015112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349735015112.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 7
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Yea its showing your system ROM at 1.5gb.. Something is wrong with that backup you made.
Here is my stock ROM backup:
View attachment 40351

What cant you find.. the sdm file? It might be different for Sprint.. Im on Verizon.

I really don't know, I made the backup using rom manager and did the whole screen boot thingy so I know it worked, but the file says 23mb

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
This is what's in there but it only says 23mb

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349736668331.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349736668331.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 5
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm worried if I run it again later it will do the same thing and I will lose all my memory

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I would run another backup.. Ive run into situations before where a nandroid failed on me... and it was actually the first one I ever made on the phone.. same issue you're having.

You can do it manually by booting into CWM Recovery from ROM Manager and scrolling down to backup/restore.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I would run another backup.. Ive run into situations before where a nandroid failed on me... and it was actually the first one I ever made on the phone.. same issue you're having.

You can do it manually by booting into CWM Recovery from ROM Manager and scrolling down to backup/restore.

I just deleted that backup via rom manager and I still only have 4gb free

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Went through my apps and my biggest is in the 70mb area so it definitely isn't an app that took up all this space

And I don't keep music on my phone, just the sd card

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349740216269.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349740216269.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 12

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Went through my apps and my biggest is in the 70mb area so it definitely isn't an app that took up all this space

And I don't keep music on my phone, just the sd card

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now. Yes, The files that are taking so much space is your nandroid. the new cwm stores the backup in two separate folders clockworkmod / backup you will find backups. in clockworkmod / blobs you will find backup data.

The way I understand the blob folder contains all the data for all of your nandroids. When you have more than one backup and they have common files such as apk's they share them. In the long run, if you have multiple backups it saves space. Roms from touchwiz roms can easily reach a gb. When you delete a backup you also need to delete the unused backup data. To do this, boot into recovery and go to "backup and restore. Then choose free unused backup data. This will delete all backup data that is no longer being used by a current backup... I hope this helps you understand.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The OS takes about 4-5GB. If you have a 16GB internal storage.. You should only have about 12GB showing for storage.. The rest is used up by the phone. So before you go crazy trying to figure out whats using all your storage space.. the answer is the operating system.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread until now. Yes, The files that are taking so much space is your nandroid. the new cwm stores the backup in two separate folders clockworkmod / backup you will find backups. in clockworkmod / blobs you will find backup data.

The way I understand the blob folder contains all the data for all of your nandroids. When you have more than one backup and they have common files such as apk's they share them. In the long run, if you have multiple backups it saves space. Roms from touchwiz roms can easily reach a gb. When you delete a backup you also need to delete the unused backup data. To do this, boot into recovery and go to "backup and restore. Then choose free unused backup data. This will delete all backup data that is no longer being used by a current backup... I hope this helps you understand.

Yup, that was it, thank you very much I got my space back

So all I do for the past 3 hours was run in a circle, lmao, ah well, i learned some new stuff from you guys in the process

So thanks for all the help

So all in all, it had worked I guess? Right?

So now that I've deleted it I need to create the backup again. And then download the rom online, put it on my sd card then go into recovery mode and install it?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
The OS takes about 4-5GB. If you have a 16GB internal storage.. You should only have about 12GB showing for storage.. The rest is used up by the phone. So before you go crazy trying to figure out whats using all your storage space.. the answer is the operating system.

I already knew about the reason for having 12gb,my issue was the fact that I had 3 left, lol but now I understand why and where exactly the backup was located

Sorry for being such a noob, lol I literally just rooted my phone yesterday morning and am just getting user to all this new information

sinisin

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Now that you have a custom recovery OTAs are no longer a worry. OTAs only push to phones with stock recovery. OTAs always get posted for download to flash just like a ROM so don't freak out if you end up loving the stock, you can still get them.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Now that you have a custom recovery OTAs are no longer a worry. OTAs only push to phones with stock recovery. OTAs always get posted for download to flash just like a ROM so don't freak out if you end up loving the stock, you can still get them.

Oh really? Thanks, I was going to ask how to block ota's in the future, and now I don't have to

I think I'm going to flash cyanogen 10 jellybean , but not today

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
ive been doing some more research and apparently i also need a few other packages before i flash the cm10 nightly packs

apparently i need a Google Play Store app zip file

a camera data zip file

and a mms zip file

is this just for at&t users who are flashing roms or for every phone because i found it here: How To Install CyanogenMod 10 on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy III (SG3) | CincyGeek.com

and they say you need all those packages

also, will their files work on the sprint version of the GS3? (not talking about the CM10, just referring to the Camera zip, mms zip and the google play zip)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12