http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...sensitive.html

Hello,

The other day I thought I had all of my preliminary questions and concerns answered about rooting my Gs3, based on weeks of reading through threads, watching videos, the whole nine ... until I came across the link above.

This stopped me cold in my tracks for days, now after doing more looking and reading and rereading related items on this, I want to just plainly ask here in this forum, if I may.

Here's my situ:

I have GW installed on the phone, but I have only opened it a few times. I have never completed the set up on it.

Ever since I saw the thread above, I've been avoiding buying anything from the Play store ( haven't bought anything from the PS since I bought the phone) because it says by clicking buy, you accept the terms of GW.

My question is... since I haven't set up GW, nor purchased anything from the PS, if I root...( just root and keep the stock ROM) will the secure element on my phone be broken?

Is this still a general issue for root users? Also, that thread was for the HTC EVO, does make any kind of difference here?

Any answers, tips, recommendations, warnings, etc. are greatly appreciated.
    08-08-2013 08:12 PM
    ... uh... did I say something wrong above? Or is the answer already out there and I just need to keep looking?
    08-09-2013 07:13 PM
    You can always keep looking...otherwise have patience.

The couple of times I have actually used wallet, I had no issues. And this was after flashing custom ROM.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    Tahe likes this.
    08-09-2013 07:30 PM
    You can always keep looking...otherwise have patience.

The couple of times I have actually used wallet, I had no issues. And this was after flashing custom ROM.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked
    Thanks, SeanskiT1! I appreciate your response and you sharing your experience with GW. And.. yes...Patience is a virtue. :-) Many thanks. ~Tahe
    08-09-2013 10:25 PM
    i use wallet all the time for nfc payments, on a custom rom.

i know in the past the secure element of nfc would mess up, and couldnt be fixed, if you installed a new rom without wiping wallet.

I just go to the settings in wallet on reset the app b4 i installe a rom, just to be safe
    Tahe likes this.
    08-10-2013 11:41 AM
    I'm using GW on a rooted, ROM'd, themed and bastardized <g> GS3 with no problem. GW does display a message that my device saying it's unsupported, but it works just fine.

The issue, and why Google says rooted devices aren't supported, is security. A rooted device is, in theory, easier to hack and gain access to the saved credit card info.
    Tahe likes this.
    08-10-2013 01:03 PM
    i use wallet all the time for nfc payments, on a custom rom.

i know in the past the secure element of nfc would mess up, and couldnt be fixed, if you installed a new rom without wiping wallet.

I just go to the settings in wallet on reset the app b4 i installe a rom, just to be safe
    Thanks for your response, ab304945! That's definitely good to know. Right now I don't plan on running any custom ROMs, but I think I'll do like you when I do and be sure to reset it.
    08-10-2013 03:24 PM
    I'm using GW on a rooted, ROM'd, themed and bastardized <g> GS3 with no problem. GW does display a message that my device saying it's unsupported, but it works just fine.

The issue, and why Google says rooted devices aren't supported, is security. A rooted device is, in theory, easier to hack and gain access to the saved credit card info.
    Many thanks, Meyerweb! I really appreciate it. Ok so...if I may ask, you don't have any worries about the whole "security" thing, then?

Based on all of the responses in this thread, it sounds like I should be good to go, but to just proceed with caution (reset the app) when it comes to flashing ROMs and such to be safe.
    08-10-2013 03:29 PM
    The way I look at security, in the worst case it's the same as if I lose my real wallet, or real credit card. Just report the card lost / stolen ASAP.
    Tahe likes this.
    08-11-2013 07:39 PM