I have rooted Androids in the past and I liked it a lot. I recently bought the GS3 and I love it. I want to root it but I also really like everything about the stock platform. Would it worth it to root my phone, and just keep Android 4.1.2?

Posted via Android Central App
    09-23-2013 07:19 AM
    Is it worth it? I guess that depends on what you expect to get out of rooting.

I think quite a few people root in order to get certain benefits (WiFi tethering, the ability to use apps like Titanium Backup, etc.) but keep the stock ROM. If rooting will provide useful benefits to you, then do it. But if you don't know what benefit you'll get from rooting, then leave things be.

The rooting instructions post in this forum don't seem to work with the latest Samsung phones. Here's an updated version that will:

[Beginners Guide] Rooting the Sprint GalaxyS3 the Easy Way - xda-developers
    09-23-2013 07:38 AM
    Can someone just help me with useful links over rooting Galaxy S3??? Any help would be appreciated.
    09-23-2013 07:51 AM
    What do you mean by "useful links"? If you mean how to root, you need to confirm what version of the S3 you have (Sprint, Verizon, International, etc.). Using the wrong root procedure can cause major problems.

Since you're in the Sprint forum, I'll assume for the moment you have a Sprint S3, so look at the link in the post immediately above yours. That will tell you how to root a Sprint Galaxy S3.
    09-23-2013 08:20 AM
    Well is there any additional functions I can do besides download certain apps?

GS3
    09-23-2013 09:45 AM
    All rooting does is give you access to the system partition which is normally locked. That means certain apps that need that access to perform their functions will only run on a rooted phone. And it means you can customize things more (and break things more, if you don't know what you're doing). But no, rooting by itself doesn't change the way your phone works at all. If you're happy with it the way it is, you're probably better off leaving it be, until the time comes when you say "darn, I want to do [whatever] and I can't unless I root.'
    09-23-2013 01:51 PM