Google is suggesting that I may be the only person that's ever done this, but... (soft brick)

Holly Harris

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
so I was running M.O.A.R. on my l710, with no issues. then I tried to install the new Pac man 4.3 hybrid rom, and this is what happened. I went into twrp and took a backup, then on the wipe, at updating partition data It hung for a while, then told me

E: couldn't access data/ data/ com. Symantec. mobile protection

E: I/o error

or something along those lines.
but it said it was successful, so I went ahead and flashed. boot loop. didn't concern me at first because, for whatever reason, most roms simply don't work on that phone. whatever, right? wrong. I try to recover my backup and, lo and behold, I don't have a backup. I went to flash moar again and it said everything was fine, so I go to boot and it simply freezes at the kernel screen (ktoon) so I reinstall using all the other kernel options, none work. so I try like two more roms I have on my internal sd. bean stalk and illusion. boot loop. and illusion ****s up my permissions. so I fix permissions.

**** it, flash a stock Rom with Odin. first boot, the little android dies, and it tells me it can't mount... anything, really. I can still get to download mode, but no recovery. I'm gonna flash cwm when this road trip is over, try fixing permissions.... but ****.... stock flash has never not fixed it...

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
so I was running M.O.A.R. on my l710, with no issues. then I tried to install the new Pac man 4.3 hybrid rom, and this is what happened. I went into twrp and took a backup, then on the wipe, at updating partition data It hung for a while, then told me

E: couldn't access data/ data/ com. Symantec. mobile protection

E: I/o error

or something along those lines.
but it said it was successful, so I went ahead and flashed. boot loop. didn't concern me at first because, for whatever reason, most roms simply don't work on that phone. whatever, right? wrong. I try to recover my backup and, lo and behold, I don't have a backup. I went to flash moar again and it said everything was fine, so I go to boot and it simply freezes at the kernel screen (ktoon) so I reinstall using all the other kernel options, none work. so I try like two more roms I have on my internal sd. bean stalk and illusion. boot loop. and illusion ****s up my permissions. so I fix permissions.

**** it, flash a stock Rom with Odin. first boot, the little android dies, and it tells me it can't mount... anything, really. I can still get to download mode, but no recovery. I'm gonna flash cwm when this road trip is over, try fixing permissions.... but ****.... stock flash has never not fixed it...
This could have been solved easily with a full data wipe (including data/media) in TWRP recovery. The amount of times I've seen this happen is troubling. I have however been able to help people solve the issue. Please get the latest version of twrp available and flash it to your phone. If you can get it to boot into recovery, we might have something to work with. If it gives you mount errors, just ignore them and go to the wipe section in twrp. Select format data (it may be called something different in the newest version) and make sure it wipes data/media. If it receives no errors, you can now begin to flash to stock using odin. This should hopefully solve your issue if everything works out properly (I've dealt with this problem once on my personal phone).

A WORD OF CAUTION: You might not have a rom installed after this, but you should still be able to get into download mode. You will lose all of the files saved on the phone. The functionality files (the imei, important system files, etc) should be intact after this process.

Last edited:

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
so i went to wipe, wiped more or less everything, got the SAME error.

Updating partition details...
E: error opening '/data/data/com.symantec.mobilesecurity
E: error: I/O error

im terrified if i shut it off i'm going to be like 100% hard brick. help me out yall

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
btw, sorry, i am the op. i used my moms phone to post (decided to join her for a road trip to see a family friend for his birthday) and i used connect to fb and i was in a rush so i used her fb without noticing. i'm now on my laptop, and using my account. update : after the wipe, everything is still on the internal storage, i reinstalled moar, just so i knew i would at least have a boot loop. what do i do now?

Last edited:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
btw, sorry, i am the op. i used my moms phone to post (decided to join her for a road trip to see a family friend for his birthday) and i used connect to fb and i was in a rush so i used her fb without noticing. i'm now on my laptop, and using my account. update : after the wipe, everything is still on the internal storage, i reinstalled moar, just so i knew i would at least have a boot loop. what do i do now?

try doing a factory rested in the recovery

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
ab304945 i get the same error on a factory reset.

flashed cwm instead of twrp, the only error i got on boot was can't mount /external, but it couldnt see the things that twrp suggest are still there, though it does see the folders apparently.... though there's nothing in them. i tried fixing permissions, it said everything was ok. loaded flash from sideload, adb... galaxy s3 toolkit failed to recognize the device i flashed twrp back on. it still sees my files, but gives me the same error. i suppose i should mention that i had to use a modded version of twrp to be able to see my files (i used root from recovery). there were two different versions of the modded recovery for both twrp and cwm but since adb has never worked for me, i had to use the odin versions, of which there were only one version for each, and the cwm version didnt work. i tried converting the img files to tar files with the toolkit, but it didnt recognize them.

when i try to load adb from twrp, it just sticks on loading sideload forever. when i flash things, most of the time (if not all, ive only been able to test with the stuff i already have on my internal storage) it says flashing file 1 of 0. what happened? did norton antivirus mobile **** me over and break my phone?

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
New recoveries for new phones that won't mount storage!! - xda-developers i use the odin files from the bottom of the first post here. could anybody make all the .img files into .tar files and upload for me? also i should note that when i did the first boot to stock, it not only says that it can't mount said partitions but that they don't exist

also i did flash to unrooted stock it still wont boot, says partitions don't exist, but twrp has no problems mounting data and cache whereas the stock rom cant mount anything

Last edited:

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
hate to be the guy who bumps his own thread, but it's been a minute so.... bump. i need you guys' help. where'd you go, DroidArmy

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll help you bump this but really have no idea about your problems. I hope someone can help.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried returning to stock, as suggested in post #5? At this point, I really think that's your best bet, then you can reroot, and start over.

Holly Harris

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I did flash to stock and it went without issue until the first boot, the os said data and cache and everything else couldn't be mounted because, apparently they don't exist. So I reflashed the twrp and a wipe couldn't be done, but twrp can see said partitions. So I reinstalled moar, and there I was. Back wherevi started. Stock rom didn't help

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
so i went to wipe, wiped more or less everything, got the SAME error.

Updating partition details...
E: error opening '/data/data/com.symantec.mobilesecurity
E: error: I/O error

im terrified if i shut it off i'm going to be like 100% hard brick. help me out yall

You didn't do it right, you need to select format data. It should ask you to type "yes". Please follow my instructions

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
i misunderstood you. i formatted data, and i didnt get any errors anymore, so i flashed a stock rom, and it just kept looping saying it was booting recovery, so i flashed the twrp and i opened it and it ran "openrecoveryscript" then it booted up into recovery fine, but when i try to load the actual rom, i'm stuck on the samsung galaxy s3. i still can't mount usb-otg, i take it that's how i am supposed to make the filesystem accessible via usb? thanks for helping me out, sorry i misunderstood

EDIT: i'm just going to format data again and wait for your next step. ill probably **** this up worse, so let's do the step by step thing

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
downloading stock rom from a different source. maybe it's corrupt....

Everything you're doing is correct. When it gets to the samaung galaxy s3 screen again, go into stock recovery and do a factory reset. It should be able to boot then

Posted via Android Central App

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
it couldnt access stock recovery. shows booting recovery, then the screen goes black, the rom tries to boot up normally, then tells me it couldnt mount /everything it tried to mount again, then stock recovery opens on top of the huge list of errors. and it can't do anything, because it cant mount anything. it won't let me factory reset, it fails because it couldnt access anything.

twrp can access them though because when i flashed twrp and a different modded version of cwm, they both saw folders for twrp/cwm that had been placed on the storage.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
it couldnt access stock recovery. shows booting recovery, then the screen goes black, the rom tries to boot up normally, then tells me it couldnt mount /everything it tried to mount again, then stock recovery opens on top of the huge list of errors. and it can't do anything, because it cant mount anything. it won't let me factory reset, it fails because it couldnt access anything.

twrp can access them though because when i flashed twrp and a different modded version of cwm, they both saw folders for twrp/cwm that had been placed on the storage.

Okay, that's an issue. Can you clarify a few things? When you did a full data wipe, did you flash to stock with odin? Where did you get the stock file from? Could you try to explain the errors or post a picture of them? Maybe a youtube video showing the exact issue?

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
oh i was flashing the wrong stock rom everything is situated, thank you

how do i +rep or thanks or whatever. is that a thing here?