Sprint Galaxy S3 - Custom ROMs opinions and help needed

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Golfdriver, I have a 32gb sd card and have a bit of music on it but for some reason that version of CWM recovery doesn't recognize it I guess. Is there a way for me to up/change the software to make a back up? If not what's the easiest way for me to do it? I know I'm probably asking what some might consider dumb questions but it's a steep learning curve for me right now.

I really do appreciate all the time and help you all have taken to help me. Once I learn a whole lot more maybe I will be able to pay it forward.

What class is the card?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
What class is the card?

It's a class 10 SanDisk.

MaXXimus & Golfdriver, I used this video as the instructions on how to root my phone before I found this forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukpBDTZQ_bM

Do I need to put my phone back to stock and root it again a different way to get the TWRP recovery?

I really do appreciate both of your help!!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's a class 10 SanDisk.

MaXXimus & Golfdriver, I used this video as the instructions on how to root my phone before I found this forum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukpBDTZQ_bM

Do I need to put my phone back to stock and root it again a different way to get the TWRP recovery?

I agree with superdave, Samsung doesn't like higher class cards. I never had a problem with lower class cards, myself. As for your root method, I don't think a different one will make a difference.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a class 10 SanDisk.

You shouldn't need to go back to stock to change recoveries. If you like CWM you can try to download a clean copy and make sure you have the new version. I know the Odin files here in this forum are up to date for newer devices.

I ended up using a ROM that likes TWRP better so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
OK I don't know how this happened but I now have CWM recovery v6.0.4.3 and it is backing up everything I would think like it should be doing. it did the system backup and is doing the data to my SD card. It's showing Backup complete. I guess this means it took? So is there a way that I can confirm that it did it by going thru the file explorer to make sure before I attempt to put MOAR on here?

Thanks to all for the help. As with my name I am a Hillbilly and sometimes technical tings like this tend to make me a bit nervous but with the help I have received so far I am getting to feel more comfortable doing this.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK I don't know how this happened but I now have CWM recovery v6.0.4.3 and it is backing up everything I would think like it should be doing. it did the system backup and is doing the data to my SD card. It's showing Backup complete. I guess this means it took? So is there a way that I can confirm that it did it by going thru the file explorer to make sure before I attempt to put MOAR on here?

Thanks to all for the help. As with my name I am a Hillbilly and sometimes technical tings like this tend to make me a bit nervous but with the help I have received so far I am getting to feel more comfortable doing this.

File explorer, and under Clockwork mod. Should be a sub folder labeled backups.

DaisFlaque

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If it didn't give you any errors while backing up then your solid. Otherwise it would've told you no SD card found. You can optionally also check to see if you can install something from your SD card, if it gives you no errors when you're great.

tooandrew

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am a BIG fan of the Carbon ROM nightly builds. Packed with features, stable, and generally awesome. And yeah, like he said, any Rom you find yourself installing should have d2spr in the name If you have a shooting galaxy s3, or your phone will be a brick. Install a custom recovery and make back ups often.

Posted via Android Central App

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I am finally going to bite the bullet and try to do my first install of a new ROM. I think for the sake of simplicity I am going to go with Cyanogen 10, seeing as how it does most of the work for me. I will be using their installer from the web site (CyanogenMod | Android Community Operating System). Is there anything I should know about a head of time so I don't wind up with a $$$ brick? I just got thru making a new back up with CWM about an hour ago, so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

As I have said before, I am new to all this and tend to sometimes over think things to the worst case scenario....

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I flashed Cyanogen 10.2 last night and now I need to figure out how to get certain apps that I backed up to my sd card back. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to Golfdriver for the help and encouragement thus far!

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
CWM recovery v6.0.4.3 and for some reason I am not able to access my SD card thru file explore. It shows that I have an SD card mounted but I can't access it except by the computer.