06-06-2014 02:08 AM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Great, glad you're working. It seems there are only a couple of versions of TWRP work correctly with 4.3.

I would try installing SuperSU again, and updating the binaries. It should prompt you to do that, but if not see if there's a menu option to force it. Also, in the app's settings, make sure it's enabled.
    johnathin15noob likes this.
    12-12-2013 04:10 PM
    hey johnathin,

Thanks for your updates. I'm in almost exactly the same boat ( sprint gs3 sph L710 running 4.3 that i "up"graded through kies ). I tried to root using the instructions here: How to Root Galaxy S3 (Sprint) SPH-L710 on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Firmware - Honai of Android but, even though the process went exactly as described, the root did not happen. The comments on that post indicate that some other people have had similar problems.

My hope is to use the process described here : How to Root Galaxy S4 using TWRP Method! | GalaxyS4Root.com to get root access. Those instructions are for the s4 but they look like they should "port" to the s3. If anyone reading this knows any reason I should not attempt to get root access in this way, please let me know.

Thanks again.
    12-12-2013 04:13 PM
    It looks like that post is pre 4.3 so does not take knox into consideration. I doubt it'll work... but might not hurt.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-12-2013 05:52 PM
    Supersu says that it does not have su binary installed. Don't know how to force it

12-12-2013 06:18 PM
    I'm sort of making this up as I go along, but worst case you'll be no worse off:

Remove the back cover of your phone so you can easily pull the battery.

Download the flashable zip version of SuperSU from here: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip | by upndwn4par for Galaxy S 3
    and the Knox remover from here: [CWM][SCRIPT][4.2.2/4.3] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V4.1 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap - xda-developers

and copy them to the top level of your internal or external SD.

Install your custom recovery in Odin. Philz recovery seems to work for people who couldn't get TWRP or CWM to work.

Philz: http://d-h.st/users/philz_touch/?fld_id=25216#files (use the d2spr version)
    CWM & TWRP recoveries: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2151476 (use the latest versions)

Make sure the Odin options are as below, with auto reboot unchecked:

Once recovery is installed, pull the battery, so the phone doesn't reboot normally, and disconnect the usb cable.

Put the battery in, and boot into recovery. It is, I think, critical the phone doesn't boot normally. That's where your custom recovery gets clobbered.

Flash supersu and the Knox remover. DO NOT reboot or exit recovery in between.

Reboot. Download and install SuperSU from the playstore. It should prompt you to update binaries. If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.

Cross your fingers and reboot.

Let me know what happens.

NOTE: This process WILL trip the Knox warranty bit. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to avoid that when rooting the official 4.3 ROM. By all accounts, Sprint doesn't seem to care if you root your phone, but Samsung certainly does. Following this procedure, or any other root procedure on the stock 4.3, WILL void your warranty.
    12-12-2013 09:39 PM
    Did not ask me to update binaries "/

12-12-2013 09:56 PM
    OMG!!! Thank you Meyerweb! I followed your instructions below, and am now rooted. I've never been so happy over a cell phone. LOL
    I used Odin3v1.85 and USCellularGS3CWM6.0.1.2.tar
    Then flashed UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip and the DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0.zip
    Rebooted with no Knox policy notices. Supersu app finally runs without immediately stopping and I was asked to update the binaries.

Thanks again. You have been a huge help.
    12-13-2013 01:58 AM
    Did not ask me to update binaries "/
    Have you checked to see if root took anyway?
    12-13-2013 11:18 AM
    Yes, checked. Still no.

The only reason why I wanted to root was to get a Rom as near stock android as possible. Nexus experience on gs3.

I'm not sure it's safe to try to flash. I've read, technically, it should be ok as long as you don't care about knox warranty(which I don't).

I also read I can't try to modify to a past bootloader and I don't know if a new Rom would do that.

I know essentially nothing about custom roms. And even less considering there's not much information that considers a 4.e3 update. It's all new territory

12-13-2013 12:56 PM
    No, flashing a ROM won't affect the bootloader. In that respect you're safe. The Knox warranty bit has probably already been triggered by the instaaltion of the custom recovery, so that's not an issue any more.

I don't know what will happen if you try to flash a ROM. Can you make a nandroid backup?
    12-13-2013 05:05 PM
    removed due to improper admin actions.
    12-13-2013 06:11 PM
    Do you have Sprint or US cellular?

12-13-2013 07:50 PM
    No, flashing a ROM won't affect the bootloader. In that respect you're safe. The Knox warranty bit has probably already been triggered by the instaaltion of the custom recovery, so that's not an issue any more.

I don't know what will happen if you try to flash a ROM. Can you make a nandroid backup?
    I can make a nandroid backup, but I can't get the latest version of cwm 6.0.4.5. I need a tar. File... I Can only find an img. Of the latest version. If I could find that tar. I could try to flash a new Rom.

Note : sprint sph L710, mk3.

12-13-2013 07:54 PM
    12-13-2013 09:37 PM
    those are both disc image files... my computer says any disc image i download is currupt ...
    12-13-2013 09:55 PM
    those are both disc image files... my computer says any disc image i download is currupt ...
    try installing it with rom manager, that is how i installed my custom recovery
    12-13-2013 10:08 PM
    Sorry. I misread that post, and thought they were .tar files.

How about this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2533333
    12-13-2013 10:14 PM
    try installing it with rom manager, that is how i installed my custom recovery
    Can't via Rom manager because I'm only partially rooted thanks to knox so Rom manager doesn't work properly. I'll try again though.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it.

12-13-2013 10:38 PM
    So it sounds like you have a newer s3. I personally love team wins recovery. I too had trouble because I (unlike my wife) have a newer s3 with mount issues. So I started a thread to solve these issues. Link.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-fix-here.html

I would hate for you to be turned off of twrp. It's worth giving another shot imo.
    12-14-2013 02:34 PM
    Try Rom installer. It's by the same guys or devs of rom manager. Worked great for me on tw based roms.
    12-14-2013 02:37 PM
    Is there any way to remove "Warranty Bit:1" showing in download mode? I was able to clear the custom binary counter with triangle away.

12-15-2013 12:30 PM
    use the 1.80 apk file select "normal" it worked for me then reboot and verify with root access
    Attached Files
    AlieSkies likes this.
    12-15-2013 12:37 PM
    youre a freaken GENIUS! THANKYOU SO MUCH!! rooted and now I can cheat on pocket empires again lol
    I'm sort of making this up as I go along, but worst case you'll be no worse off:

Download the flashable zip version of SuperSU from here: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip | by upndwn4par for Galaxy S 3
    and the Knox remover from here: [CWM][SCRIPT][4.2.2/4.3] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V4.1 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap - xda-developers

Install your custom recovery in Odin. Philz recovery seems to work for people who couldn't get TWRP or CWM to work.

Philz: Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (use the d2spr version)
    CWM & TWRP recoveries: [Recovery] Flashable and the Latest - CWM 6.0.4.3 - TWRP 2.6.3.0 - Stock - xda-developers (use the latest versions)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69671105/Odin%20Start.jpg

Once recovery is installed, pull the battery, so the phone doesn't reboot normally, and disconnect the usb cable.

Put the battery in, and boot into recovery. It is, I think, critical the phone doesn't boot normally. That's where your custom recovery gets clobbered.

Reboot. Download and install SuperSU from the playstore. It should prompt you to update binaries. If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas.

Eman Albritton likes this.
    12-20-2013 08:32 PM
    This absolutely Worked!!!!! Thank you very much.

Philz: Dev-Host - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (use the d2spr version)
    CWM & TWRP recoveries: [Recovery] Flashable and the Latest - CWM 6.0.4.3 - TWRP 2.6.3.0 - Stock - xda-developers (use the latest versions)

12-22-2013 01:54 PM

Just wanted to say thank you as this worked perfectly on my phone! it was driving me crazy that I wasn't able to root and re-install my titanium backup.
    Catherine White likes this.
    12-23-2013 03:55 AM
113 1234 ...