Possible method to root 4.3

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Note that I have not tried this, cannot verify it works, and am not recommending it. If it bricks your phone, you're on your own.

If you have not yet installed 4.3, my recommendation is that you do NOT install the OTA or sideload the official zip. Devs on XDA have posted a pre-rooted, flashable 4.3 ROM that will completely bypass the KNOX bootloader and all the problems it is causing. There is still work in progress to deal with a few relatively minor issues.

But if you have already upgraded to 4.3, and want root, this may be the only way to do it right now.

|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 Update |22 Nov 2013| - xda-developers

EDIT: My instructions in post #30 of this thread have worked for several people who were unable to root previously:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/337722-possible-method-root-4-3-a-2.html#post3316246

Last edited:

629Classic

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I regrettably installed the update zip before I read up on Knox and 4.3 and am one of the poor unfortunate souls in what I will call 4.3 limbo, wishing desparately I could return to 4.1.2.

Anyway, I've been debating trying this method as discussed on XDA to gain root and flash the Knox remover. What I haven't been able to understand yet is whether flashing the Knox remover will allow me a gateway to unroot and flash 4.1.2 again. It seems that the remover just removes the Knox apps, not necessarily circumventing the bootloader so one could flash a previous version.

meyerweb, what is your understanding of this Knox remover?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't think I've seen anyone who applied he OTA successfully go back to an earlier ROM. There are 2 parts to Knox, one in the bootloader, the second an application. Like you, I think the Knox remover only removes the app piece. The bootloader is what prevents the ability to load other ROMS, or custom recoveries.

629Classic

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate your thoughts on it. Man, my overly-eager install of the OTA has severely wounded my pride. Never again will I be so anxious :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i was successful with rooting using CF-Autoroot.

after it rebooted Knox popped up saying that it blocked access to system files. But i updated su, and checked with root checker said i have root access, and confirmed with titanium back up was able to get root access.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
But what you can't do, and may never be able to do, is install a custom recovery and flash a custom ROM.

I just got CWM installed(used ROM manager). Will attempt a rom install after i make a nandroid backup, I will post back if i get it to work.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised CWM installed. Others have reported Knox will only permit the stock recovery. Will it let you do a nandroid backup? That would be some benefit, at least.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised CWM installed. Others have reported Knox will only permit the stock recovery. Will it let you do a nandroid backup? That would be some benefit, at least.

i did a nandroid back up b4 wiping and trying to install a rom. it worked, but when i went to restore it, it restored fine, but when i booted up, gapps would crash non stop swype was crashing nonstop. Deleting user data from CWM fixed it.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

i just got wicked sentsations 5.0 installed, everything seems to be working, including WIFI. i read wifi wasnt working for those that did get a rom installed.

I tried cm11 first which failed.

629Classic

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Tried CF-Auto-Root and it worked for me as well - decided to stick with stock recovery. Also FWIW, I used Triangle Away to reset the flash counter, but the Warranty Bit still remains tripped at 1, as warned by Chainfire http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/:

"KNOX WARRANTY
If you have a KNOX-enabled device, using CF-Auto-Root will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !"

629Classic

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
i just got wicked sentsations 5.0 installed, everything seems to be working, including WIFI. i read wifi wasnt working for those that did get a rom installed.

I tried cm11 first which failed.

So if I read right, WS v5.0 is a MD4 based ROM as of now, until the developer gets it updated to 4.3. Color me intrigued that you were able to do this. You rooted and installed the custom ROM AFTER taking the 4.3 OTA update, correct?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So if I read right, WS v5.0 is a MD4 based ROM as of now, until the developer gets it updated to 4.3. Color me intrigued that you were able to do this. You rooted and installed the custom ROM AFTER taking the 4.3 OTA update, correct?

Ya it installed fine, everything worked fine, no lag that i noticed. Only kept it for 30 min then went back to 4.3. Like 4.3 better

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
EVERY other person who has reported trying to flash a custom recovery after running the OTA has said it failed, and everyone else who has said they tried to go back to a 4,1.2 ROM has said it bricked their phone. Are you sure you did the OTA, or did you flash the 4.3 ROM from XDA?

I would not recommend that anyone else follow ab's procedure after flashing the OTA.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
EVERY other person who has reported trying to flash a custom recovery after running the OTA has said it failed, and everyone else who has said they tried to go back to a 4,1.2 ROM has said it bricked their phone. Are you sure you did the OTA, or did you flash the 4.3 ROM from XDA?

I would not recommend that anyone else follow ab's procedure after flashing the OTA.

It was the ota update. I think you are fine with an older rom, you just can't go with an older boot loader our it will brick.

Posted via Android Central App

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I was not rooted. Downloaded 4.3 via kies. And attempted to root for the first time(sph L710). THEN heard about all this Knox ****. I managed to get a custom recovery but no root access. I get the Knox security notice. I've tried to root at least 3 different methods. so many tar files on my computer I lost track of how I got the custom recovery to actually work.

This is my first time rooting any phone, I jumped in at the wrong time it seems.

Since I have the custom recovery working, an I any closer to gaining root access?

Posted via Android Central App

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i tried this method in OP and still no root access... before that i did a nandroid backup with cwm recovery(touch) just last night. 30 min later i tried to recover after it didn't root and now it boot loops. tried to recover. did every wipe and factory reset to no avail... i could use some help. this is my first attempt at a root, and it's going to hell.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Johnathin:

First, just to be sure, you do have a Sprint GS3, correct?

The link in the OP has two methods: Did you try both?

Can you boot into recovery or download modes?

In your first post, it seems your phone was working, but not providing root access. Your second post says you tried to recover, What did you do to "try to recover"?

johnathin15noob

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
HEY MEYERWEB thanks for responding. i have a sprint gs3 sph L710 running 4.3 that i "up"graded through kies like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

i tried both methods. i believe the first method gave me cwm touch but no root access. and i used cwm touch to "flash" (don't know if i'm using that right) supersu and knox remover. it did get rid of knox and installed supersu but still no root access. i can boot into recovery and download mode.

i tried to recover using the cwm (nandroid backup/recovery). i backed up just before trying the second method in OP (about 30 minutes). tried to recover using cmw and then bootloop.

thanks a million for even reading my post. this community is amazing. i can only contribute my mistakes for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC