5 5.43%
  • I will wait for Sprint to release the Samsung S3

68 73.91%
  • I'm holding out for Iphone 5

6 6.52%
08-08-2012 11:19 PM
127 ... 3456
tools
    To be honest, like many of you I've been pretty hesitant to go back to Samsung because of faulty radios and gps that plagued the second generation of Galaxy devices. I am a frequent traveler, so having strong signal, in addition to reliable navigation is a MUST for me. I gave up after 10 months with the Epic 4g Touch and moved onto the Galaxy Nexus, which unfortunately, also had radio and gps issues.

Being burned twice by Samsung, I finally jumped ship and switched to the iPhone 4s which had phenomenal radios, but the OS was so severely lacking despite jailbreaking and buying $50+ worth of "tweaks" in Cydia, that I had to switch back to Android. Enter the HTC Evo 4g LTE; a phone that could only test my patience for a grand total of a week. I could not STAND the lagginess of the phone, especially coming from the iPhone 4s. It was night and day how SLOW the Evo was when opening apps (even STOCK apps), taking pictures rapidly without holding down burst mode (the speed of which was supposed to be it's main selling point). Along with Sense reloading repeatedly, the so called "multitasking" that HTC just had to molest, and the god-awful browser with its counter-intuitive UI and inability to access my notifications-- I had enough. Basically it was all these basic little things that most oems get right, HTC completely ruined. Sorry if this comes off ranty, but I am with Android because I want raw horsepower and efficiency performing basic tasks. If I wanted to blow $600+ on a device that's pretty and inefficient, I would just go back to iOS, or hell, even a feature phone.

Anyways, there wasn't one area of the OS, not ONE that HTC couldn't keep their hands off of. Everything in ICS had to be fiddled with, tweaked, changed, just out right MOLESTED for the sake of Sense's individuality and distinction between other OEMs. Motorola's latest ICS update for the RAZR Maxx did ICS right, keeping it fairly untouched from stock, and the latest iteration of Touchwiz (from what I've seen) does very little to get in the way of ICS, although IMO they are still pretty aggressive with some of Touchwiz's changes.

All this to say, I've been researching the GS3, trying to find the one phone that has the all-around best overall package without having to make too many sacrifices here and there. Despite my ranting, I am in fact, aware that there is no "perfect" phone. Still, if you're like me and you worry about the radios and gps, the GS3 thankfully has GLONASS in addition to GPS (google what GLONASS is, it's pretty amazing), and radio strength has been reported to be much better than the Galaxy Nexus. Fluidity in Touchwiz has been almost unanimously praised by reviewers everywhere, and the camera has proven to result in a much more stable video quality in comparison tests against the LTEvo, even against the iPhone 4s which still has a pretty competitive camera. (Exhibit A: Galaxy S3 vs. iPhone 4S Camera Photo/Video Shootout! - YouTube) The LTEvo's 1080p video recording takes it at 24 fps (I believe) while the GS3 takes it in full 30 fps, a very very noticeable difference. In addition, the LTEvo in my experience had troubles with stabilization when moving the camera too fast, creating this very distracting "wobbly" effect when taking videos. The GS3 did not have these issues.

I'm hoping the GS3 will be the last device I will upgrade to for at least a year. From everything I've read and researched about the device; reviews from Phonedog, Android Central, Phandroid, Arstechnica, TheVerge, Engagdget, Anandtech, and many many others, it looks like the GS3 is going to hopefully be the phone with the all-around complete package that I'll need until next year.

TL;DR: Samsung, Apple, and HTC have all in one way or another left out crucial features that make them the best well-rounded phone. However, Samsung has updated their radios, gps, and Touchwiz has been praised highly for it's performance and fluidity, as well as a better camera than compared to the LTEvo or even the iPhone 4s. Hopefully this will be the phone for me, at least until next year.
    06-29-2012 02:51 AM
    To be honest, like many of you I've been pretty hesitant to go back to Samsung because of faulty radios and gps that plagued the second generation of Galaxy devices. I am a frequent traveler, so having strong signal, in addition to reliable navigation is a MUST for me. I gave up after 10 months with the Epic 4g Touch and moved onto the Galaxy Nexus, which unfortunately, also had radio and gps issues.

Being burned twice by Samsung, I finally jumped ship and switched to the iPhone 4s which had phenomenal radios, but the OS was so severely lacking despite jailbreaking and buying $50+ worth of "tweaks" in Cydia, that I had to switch back to Android. Enter the HTC Evo 4g LTE; a phone that could only test my patience for a grand total of a week. I could not STAND the lagginess of the phone, especially coming from the iPhone 4s. It was night and day how SLOW the Evo was when opening apps (even STOCK apps), taking pictures rapidly without holding down burst mode (the speed of which was supposed to be it's main selling point). Along with Sense reloading repeatedly, the so called "multitasking" that HTC just had to molest, and the god-awful browser with its counter-intuitive UI and inability to access my notifications-- I had enough. Basically it was all these basic little things that most oems get right, HTC completely ruined. Sorry if this comes off ranty, but I am with Android because I want raw horsepower and efficiency performing basic tasks. If I wanted to blow $600+ on a device that's pretty and inefficient, I would just go back to iOS, or hell, even a feature phone.

Anyways, there wasn't one area of the OS, not ONE that HTC couldn't keep their hands off of. Everything in ICS had to be fiddled with, tweaked, changed, just out right MOLESTED for the sake of Sense's individuality and distinction between other OEMs. Motorola's latest ICS update for the RAZR Maxx did ICS right, keeping it fairly untouched from stock, and the latest iteration of Touchwiz (from what I've seen) does very little to get in the way of ICS, although IMO they are still pretty aggressive with some of Touchwiz's changes.

All this to say, I've been researching the GS3, trying to find the one phone that has the all-around best overall package without having to make too many sacrifices here and there. Despite my ranting, I am in fact, aware that there is no "perfect" phone. Still, if you're like me and you worry about the radios and gps, the GS3 thankfully has GLONASS in addition to GPS (google what GLONASS is, it's pretty amazing), and radio strength has been reported to be much better than the Galaxy Nexus. Fluidity in Touchwiz has been almost unanimously praised by reviewers everywhere, and the camera has proven to result in a much more stable video quality in comparison tests against the LTEvo, even against the iPhone 4s which still has a pretty competitive camera. (Exhibit A: Galaxy S3 vs. iPhone 4S Camera Photo/Video Shootout! - YouTube) The LTEvo's 1080p video recording takes it at 24 fps (I believe) while the GS3 takes it in full 30 fps, a very very noticeable difference. In addition, the LTEvo in my experience had troubles with stabilization when moving the camera too fast, creating this very distracting "wobbly" effect when taking videos. The GS3 did not have these issues.

I'm hoping the GS3 will be the last device I will upgrade to for at least a year. From everything I've read and researched about the device; reviews from Phonedog, Android Central, Phandroid, Arstechnica, TheVerge, Engagdget, Anandtech, and many many others, it looks like the GS3 is going to hopefully be the phone with the all-around complete package that I'll need until next year.

TL;DR: Samsung, Apple, and HTC have all in one way or another left out crucial features that make them the best well-rounded phone. However, Samsung has updated their radios, gps, and Touchwiz has been praised highly for it's performance and fluidity, as well as a better camera than compared to the LTEvo or even the iPhone 4s. Hopefully this will be the phone for me, at least until next year.
    I think you're making the right decision. Gps is amazingly fast and finds twice as many satellites as any phone I've seen. So far I have not had any problems with signal strength.

06-29-2012 06:39 AM
    I have had the Sprint Samsung S3 for a week, I preordered it. White, 16G, absolutely beautiful phone. I want to love it SO much but the signal is AWWWWWFULLLL! It goes into roaming while at my house, worse than my previous Samsung Galaxy Epic. If your hand happens to be over the left bottom of the phone it will also go into roaming. I purchased from BestBuy and they said there are no "known" issues yet but I can exchange for another one once they get some in stock. So very disappointed. If the same thing happens with the replacement I may have to consider another phone
    06-29-2012 01:24 PM
    I returned the SGS3 and kept the EVO LTE, for a few reasons, mainly radios, build quality, camera and software, Sense is way more refined and professional than Touchwiz and HTC's camera with the dedicated ImageSense chip is superior IMO. The EVO is typical HTC build quality, built like a tank, and the radios on the SGS3 were not even close to the EVO's in performance (speed and range). I also thought the SGS3 would perform better with the 2GB of RAM but I consistently got better benchmarks with the EVO LTE, I honestly dont put much weight on these but I know it's important to a lot of people.

I read and watched alot of reviews and comparisons between the HTC One X and the SGS3 and most sided with the SGS3, I think the EVO LTE has the few extras the One X lacked that put it over the SGS3. Most reviews of the EVO LTE vs. SGS3 reflect this.

Dont get me wrong, both are great phones, I just think the EVO LTE edges it on a few things.

Phonearena.com has a good comparison between the two phones, the EVO wins almost every category.
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sa...-4G-LTE_id3068
    Jaggrey likes this.
    06-29-2012 07:48 PM
    So I fully flashed my Evo over to cricket with everything working flawlessly and now my battery last over 2 full days! Crazy...so I'm using the s3 on Sprint and Evo (biz line) on cricket. So I'm assuming it's Sprint network that was draining my battery so badly when I wanted to blame HTC.

Using both phones frequently I can tell you there are pros and cons to both devices and probably comes down to personal preference and what you look for in a phone.

Check it out, this is been on cricket all day and I've lost no service quality, I'm stunned. On Sprint battery would be dead by now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    06-29-2012 07:52 PM
    A bad signal will drain your battery really fast.
    06-29-2012 08:00 PM
    Sprint and cricket get the same signal at my house but yes I agree.

06-29-2012 09:34 PM
    I'm seriously torn between these devices, very frustrating because thru both have options I want..haha

07-01-2012 10:25 AM
    I studied both for about a week online and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I just picked up my GS3 today and i'm loving it. The EVO sense UI is better but I did not like the exterior design. If Sprint had made the EVO look just like the HTC one X on AT& I probably would have got the EVO.
    07-01-2012 08:25 PM
    Had the Evo for almost a month and just picked up the GS3 today and it's a keeper. Multitasking was a major issue on the Evo and it would cause Nova Launcher to restart constantly. No such problem on the GS3. Also I happen to like the design of the GS3 better.

07-01-2012 10:50 PM
    A bad signal will drain your battery really fast.
    Isn't this the case with most phones?!?!? I remember ALLL the way back to my sanyo flip phone days and even the my Samsung A900 flip, whenever i would go underground to take the train, the signal loss would drain the LIVING HELL out of it!! Are there phones where this doesn't happen??
    07-01-2012 11:02 PM
    I will never ever, and buy any phone with a built in, unchangeable battery!!!

I have owned many HTC phones and after not enjoying my EVO 3D I bought a GS2 and LOVED it. I gave it to my wife and bought the GS3 and have to say best f-in phone on the market!!!!

This phone should, without a doubt, get me through my 2 yr contract. With the past 4 phones, I have replaced at full price after 12 12 months. The GS3 is ahead of itself in performance and should keep me occupied!!

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk
    07-02-2012 06:48 AM
    Isn't this the case with most phones?!?!? I remember ALLL the way back to my sanyo flip phone days and even the my Samsung A900 flip, whenever i would go underground to take the train, the signal loss would drain the LIVING HELL out of it!! Are there phones where this doesn't happen??
    It happens less on gsm

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    07-02-2012 08:18 AM
    Waited until I could have both phones in hand at the Sprint store. Was leery of Samsung for many of the same reasons mentioned before...had the 1st gen EVO before my Photon and loved it (except that I had to carry a spare battery with me at all times).

So...ended up with the SG3 and so far am happy. The only problem I'm having is that I can't use the typical iCal importer file for my big, fat Google Calendar export - it doesn't work, no matter which import utility I try. Plain old Google Calendar sync doesn't work well as my calendar file goes back to 1996-1997. I've got someone looking at it, and I can always go online on Google Calendar to look backwards if I have the need.

Otherwise I love this fast, sexy phone!
    07-02-2012 02:59 PM
    Long time AT&T customer here who received my SGSIII on the 21 and I love it.

I worked with a co worker today who has the EVO LTE and I must say it is a nice phone! I looked at the One X on AT&T but decided against it because of no expandable memory. The EVO LTE has a micro SD slot.

I liked the build quality and they are scheduled to light up Spint's LTE network here in Dallas on or before July 15th.

You Sprint folks have a tough decision on your hands!
    07-02-2012 03:57 PM
    I just picked up my Sprint Galaxy SIII on Monday evening - the blue one. Already compared to a co-worker who got the Verizon version and my battery life is much better - because of the LTE that he has and I don't have yet?

I love the phone!! It's absolutely beautiful. The screen is as big as cellphone screens should ever be. Seriously. It's light, thin, feels solid enough and I don't have any issues with it.

However, coming from an EVO 4G to the Galaxy SIII, I'm missing my 4G connection BADLY. 3g just doesn't cut it, and that cuts in and out at times. I'm really betting on Sprints ability to get Chicago lit up sometime this fall. I'll be really disappointed if I can't get signal most places with my beautiful phone. :P
    07-11-2012 11:04 AM
    I had the evo lte since launch, but exchanged it due to dead pixels. So on day 30 of the exchange, I exchanged for the Galaxy s III. I've been on the HTC side ever since Windows Mobile was around. I did take a break and go with a Palm Pre, but then went right back to HTC with the OG Evo. I love the EVo Lte, but the removable battery is a major concern for me, as I'm usually in a low signal area, and the battery drains quickly.
    I LOVED the Evo, but in the end I exchanged. I must say though, that other than the screen, I'm digging the features that Sammy packed in to s III. I miss Sense, but I usually cover it all up with Go Launcher or now Apex Pro. Either way you go, you'll have a great phone on your hands.. Each has it's own pros and cons.
    07-11-2012 11:32 AM
    Here's a little disappointing news on SGS3 And drop test.. http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/07/22/h...d=tc_home_art&

sent from EVO4GLTE
    07-23-2012 09:03 AM
    Here's a little disappointing news on SGS3 And drop test.. How Does The Samsung Galaxy S III Fare In A Drop Test? - TechCrunch

sent from EVO4GLTE
    Ha. I love the first few lines:

The Samsung Galaxy S III continues to be one of the hottest Android phones weve ever seen. When I reviewed the phone, I said flat out that this is the phone youve been waiting for.
    I'm sold!
    07-23-2012 09:31 AM
    I have both and I am keeping the gs3. Everything works superb and ergonomically designed better for my style and work. Better multitasking, way better camera, better signal, better Gps, clear calls, and tons more features.

I have always hated Samsung, but this is an amazing phone. I was always an HTC fanboy, but the evo has too many quirks and I can't deal with them. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and make an amazing device next time around.

I also was never big on camera's on phones due to poor image quality, but the camera in the gs3 is superb. It takes better pics than my iphone 4s.
    sandman132 and weknsmith like this.
    07-23-2012 02:48 PM
    Everything is subjective. The perfect phone would be the build quality of an iPhone , the size of the gs3 , the radio's of the motorola, and running the palm multitasking software..... But until that happens, it basically boils down to location. Strength of signal and UI preference. I like the htc phones but I kept having to deal with dialing problem and a crashing problem that was only fixed if I did a hard reset every couple months. ... Not the end of the world but un bueno none the less .
    07-24-2012 09:25 PM
    I believe the cameras are the same, I actually got an evo with no problems, now, I'm not a multi tasker per say so that doesn't bug me, I love my phone, but I will say I played with an s3 today at staples and would love to have that phone also, I'm betting if I had that phone id miss things from my evo and vice versa

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    bigrey81 likes this.
    07-24-2012 09:39 PM
    Everything is subjective. The perfect phone would be the build quality of an iPhone , the size of the gs3 , the radio's of the motorola, and running the palm multitasking software..... But until that happens, it basically boils down to location. Strength of signal and UI preference. I like the htc phones but I kept having to deal with dialing problem and a crashing problem that was only fixed if I did a hard reset every couple months. ... Not the end of the world but un bueno none the less .
    Perfect for you....and those issues with htc i haven't had them
    07-25-2012 06:30 AM
    cameras are not the same, s3 has a better camera and video.

07-25-2012 07:39 AM
    cameras are not the same, s3 has a better camera and video.

True. Cameras are different. I have both and the gs3 takes better pics and videos.
    sandman132 likes this.
    07-25-2012 11:53 AM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD