Sprint Customers: Evo LTE or Samsung S3

Evo LTE or Samsung S3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Loved the EVO LTE but after having 3 of them all shut themselves down and then lock up on boot over the course of two weeks, I gave up and preordered an SIII....(all came from Bestbuy and even they couldn't get them out of the boot screen)

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, good luck with Sammy lll ...

sent from my Evo4LTE

ItsMeCD

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Loved the EVO LTE but after having 3 of them all shut themselves down and then lock up on boot over the course of two weeks, I gave up and preordered an SIII....(all came from Bestbuy and even they couldn't get them out of the boot screen)

Ouch. I had one with a broken camera button out of the box. The second has been great. I don't think I can use another Samsung device.

Sent from my EVO

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
All I ever read is Samsung has crap radios. Call me lucky, blessed or fortunate cause I've never had any radio issues. The ONLY phone that was a nightmare for me was the Evo3D.

uberterrific

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy S III all the way!! I went through the EVO 4g LTE pre-order fiasco and was VERY disappointed in the Evo that's for sure! Signal strength/Quality was TERRIBLE!! Sprint luckily has a GREAT signal where I am, but I was CONSTANTLY roaming with the Evo 4g LTE. The sound quality of the speakers were very good, however the loudness was SO low, I could hardly hear the darn thing ring half of the time. A high speed cellphone, that cant hardly make a call or ring loud enough to hear, to me is JUNK!! Their antennas really suck! I returned it 12 days & 2 phones later LOL!! I had the Epic Touch 4g before & IT WAS GREAT!!! I just hope GPS works a bit better on the GSIII :p

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the Evo LTE for almost three weeks now and I ordered the s3 too for my wife...haha unless I really like it she gets the Evo. But I have to say this phone is amazing, HTC really did a good job this time. Everything about this phone is amazing and to think HD voice is coming.

I did buy the HD media adapter for my TV and I can wirelessly stream my videos and play HD YouTube videos flawlessly on my Samsung LED! Looks better then anything I've seen. If I could play movies onto my TV now from this adapter or directly would top it off.

There are so many different options in the phone to customize texting, layout, colors and much more with out downloading any apps off the market.:)

I also just got the Bluetooth adapter for my car and have been playing Pandora and the sound is amazing with the new beats audio. I still have to see the Samsung but this HTC is seriously one bad @ss phone. For me to switch the Samsung will have to seriously wow me above and beyond belief cause this HTC is the real deal.

Something else to consider is if your really into Facebook the HTC syncs up beautifully with Facebook. Hopefully Samsung has thought of these things too.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What makes you say that? I've got 28 days to change my mind :) Prolly won't be worth the $50 difference I'd have to pay tho :p

I thought the multitasking thing might have been overblown, but it goes deeper than just apps reloading and it has truly ruined the operating system.

App updates (like when you go into google play and hit "Update 5" or whatever) stop in the background, even if the screen goes off. Airdroid stops transferring files. Forums like this in tapatalk take you back to the main screen if you do ANYTHING else. Web pages reload, so good luck following comment threads on this site because you'll be back to the top of the page.

There's just no memory left over thanks to sense. If I knew a hard date of Cyanogenmod or something I'd keep it, but 350 days later after I got my EVO 3D, there STILL isn't an AOSP build that works for it, so I can't rely on the community to fix HTC's problems (that is not knocking the community, I'm just saying I can't just wait for them to hopefully get around HTC's mess).

Maybe I'll hate the S3, but 20 days in and this phone just feels worse every day.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Going for the s3.

Reasons are the multitasking bug and removable battery.

Plus this will be my first samsung phone so i have pretty much given every phone maker at least 1 chance. Some more then others like sanyo and htc.

Reactions: Dazo

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought the multitasking thing might have been overblown, but it goes deeper than just apps reloading and it has truly ruined the operating system.

App updates (like when you go into google play and hit "Update 5" or whatever) stop in the background, even if the screen goes off. Airdroid stops transferring files. Forums like this in tapatalk take you back to the main screen if you do ANYTHING else. Web pages reload, so good luck following comment threads on this site because you'll be back to the top of the page.

There's just no memory left over thanks to sense. If I knew a hard date of Cyanogenmod or something I'd keep it, but 350 days later after I got my EVO 3D, there STILL isn't an AOSP build that works for it, so I can't rely on the community to fix HTC's problems (that is not knocking the community, I'm just saying I can't just wait for them to hopefully get around HTC's mess).

Maybe I'll hate the S3, but 20 days in and this phone just feels worse every day.

There actually is a good rom over on xda that has the majority of sense removed and its what I plan on loading up.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: jll3174

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually holding out for the Mopho II LTE. Other than using a different launcher, I haven't felt the need to run anything but stock with my Photon. The radios are superb and the battery life is the best I've had with a smartphone. I suppose for those who have that custom ROM itch that just has to be scratched, it's not the best option, but for me, this phone has met all my needs and then some, and I am looking forward to the next iteration.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm still debating a bit on what to do myself since I'm inside 30 days of having my Evo LTE (currently on day 5... lol)

After having my Evo for a little less than a week, I'm enjoying the phone. I have no real issues with it. I don't know if the S3 is more "future-proof" because of the extra gig of RAM. That's really the only thing that kinda bugs me, even tho I don't notice the whole multitasking thing on the phone much. I've noticed it reloading a couple of things on occasion, but if I didn't read this forum it probably wouldn't bother me :p

The reasons I don't wanna get the Samsung is because of the Epic I had before. It was solid a lot of the time, but the updates that came out seemed to introduce more bugs. A good phone that started having more issues, and after 3 replacements I was ready for something else. I don't want another Samsung to be good then get all weird a year in. And I'm not into rooting & ROMing so I don't consider those options.

I guess all I can do is see the S3 when it comes out and compare. If there's no sale on it, I then have to decide if it's worth paying $40 for it over what I got the Evo for.

Ahhh..... analysis paralysis at it's best! :confused:

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Only thing could get me to switch is if the camera pictures look amazing on FB. I really love sense and all the skins options and texting options on the Evo. I'm getting pretty stuck on my evo actually but if Samsung camera is just amazing I would highly consider it.

This is definitely the best cell phone camera in the U.S. right now.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I will keep my Evo4GLTE over the years I've had many issues with Samsung phones. They all have a noticeable lag feel to them. HTC is much faster imo.:):D:p::thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Last edited:

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the EVO LTE, but am seriously contemplating the SIII ... I have only owned HTC devices in Android beginning with EVO 4G, but the software is really bugging me. If I am unable to return my phone to Sprint or Best Buy in exchange for the SIII, I will open another line on my account just to get the phone with the discounts available.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the EVO LTE, but am seriously contemplating the SIII ... I have only owned HTC devices in Android beginning with EVO 4G, but the software is really bugging me. If I am unable to return my phone to Sprint or Best Buy in exchange for the SIII, I will open another line on my account just to get the phone with the discounts available.

I wanted to keep the EVO too...the hardware was fantastic, but the bugs were killing me. The final straw was when I woke up one morning to find that the phone had rebooted (again) and it decided to kill off the alarm clock.

Hopeful that the S3 will have fewer bugs; at the very least the multi tasking will be better. Had a great experience with Epic Touch, so I think it will work. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy