Sprint Customers: Evo LTE or Samsung S3

Evo LTE or Samsung S3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well it's been about a week for me now and I'm enjoying my phone. Not sure what I'd have to see to make me switch. A friend of mine is getting his this week (preordered from Sprint) so I'll have an opportunity to compare :D

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
GS3 easily.

You cant even change the battery on the evo.

I'm thinking of switching carriers, verizon has the best service, but overly priced AND they limit data.

Att's service isn't as good, they limit data, and almost as expensive as verizon

T mobile seems to be the only decent choice, but it throttles data

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Evo4GLTE Seems to be the stronger on the exterior of the two, the S3 it's mostly plastic...imo

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've chosen to go w the S3. At first I was leaning towards the LTEvo but the multitasking bug on it and the extra GB of RAM on the S3 made me rethink my decision. The removable battery wasn't an issue for me as I have a mini battery pack for all of my gadgets. The screen is supposedly better on the LTEvo, but the S3 is still an upgrade from my OG Evo.
My main concern is the bad radios Samsung is notorious for. I'm hoping that it won't be the case in this phone... But not holding my breath.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

LoveMyPhone

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo LTE and took it back. Worked nothing like the original Evo, in my opionion. I loved my original Evo 4G! But the LTE just didn't come close to doing what I wanted. So I went back to my Samsung Epic Touch, which I love almost everything about! I have pre-ordered the SIII (for the future LTE world) . I hope I like it at least as much as my Epic Touch. I guess I have been lucky but I have had several Samsung's over the years and have never been unhappy with them!

Reactions: Uncle Louie

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still debating a bit on what to do myself since I'm inside 30 days of having my Evo LTE (currently on day 5... lol)

After having my Evo for a little less than a week, I'm enjoying the phone. I have no real issues with it. I don't know if the S3 is more "future-proof" because of the extra gig of RAM. That's really the only thing that kinda bugs me, even tho I don't notice the whole multitasking thing on the phone much. I've noticed it reloading a couple of things on occasion, but if I didn't read this forum it probably wouldn't bother me :p

The reasons I don't wanna get the Samsung is because of the Epic I had before. It was solid a lot of the time, but the updates that came out seemed to introduce more bugs. A good phone that started having more issues, and after 3 replacements I was ready for something else. I don't want another Samsung to be good then get all weird a year in. And I'm not into rooting & ROMing so I don't consider those options.

I guess all I can do is see the S3 when it comes out and compare. If there's no sale on it, I then have to decide if it's worth paying $40 for it over what I got the Evo for.

Ahhh..... analysis paralysis at it's best! :confused:
Not trying to be rude, but you do not have 30 days. You have 15 days if you do not want to get stuck with a re-stocking fee. Just a friendly warning...I know it sucks!

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
No removable battery, so the Evo fails... Also hate the on screen menu button. The Sgs3 isn't enough better than the Epic Touch that I have. I will wait for the upgrades to sell theirs on Craigslist for around $300 in a few months to go to the next big thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
If you a great android phone I say the Evo4GLTE for sense quickness and lightning speed, design solid and functional in form.
On the other hand, If like plastic toy feel then I say definitely I say go for SG3. You will experience their trade mark lag touch wiz system and plain ordinary design.

Reactions: sandman132

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If you a great android phone I say the Evo4GLTE for sense quickness and lightning speed, design solid and functional in form.
On the other hand, If like plastic toy feel then I say definitely I say go for SG3. You will experience their trade mark lag touch wiz system and plain ordinary design.

I noticed you kept on mentioning lag on samsung phones esp compared to htc phones. I let it go at first until you kept on bringing it up. Are you sure about that? Because the EVO3d was extremely laggy compared to the epic touch 4G. Every single version of the EVO vs every version of the Galaxy S has the Galaxy winning in smoothness and speed decisively. I mean even the EVO 3D still can't run a live wall paper without lagging. The GPU is not even close between them.

I mean the EVO3D was so bad, that even the Nexus S can keep up with it, and still beat it in a few areas. Your brower on your EVO LTE is very laggy to me. Hell its even laggier than my original Galaxy S running AOKP ICS. Droid800 claimed it was because sense 4.0 had a buggy web browser that lags before he got banned.

Just looking at the videos alone you have to be blind to not notice the GS3 runs smoother than the One X.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes you heard me right,I said lag as everyime Sammy came out with a new phone I would mess with them side by side and there was always a noticeable lag compared to HTC phones I was trying out . I had nexus s and is was real laggy I had to get rid of it and the're was screen burn issue other people experienced as well.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
let's face it both HTC and Samsung have produced crap phones. Evo LTE is the best Android right now unless the s3 can take the #1 spot. Right behind though is the RAZR Maxx.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
One thing I love about my evo that I didn't know it had. Be on a phone call and use 3g at the same time.

hypedave

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the HTC Evo LTE was week was very happy until I saw videos of the Samsung S III. I originally started my Android journey with the Samsung Epic but got quickly disjointed. I became quickly happy with the iPhone 4s because it just worked.

The new touchwiz has impressed me, Ice Cream has given me the Wow factor I was looking for and had wanted back when the Epic first came out. The EVO LTE is still a great phone, no complaints here.

I'm switching to the Samsung Galaxy because
- 32GB Model
- Storage card up to 64GB
- New Touchwiz
- Removable battery
- Slim like the EVO LTE
- Better responsive
- Moveable video player
- Saw videos on youtube with xbox remotes, ps3 remotes, external usb drives hooked up to it.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be rude, but you do not have 30 days. You have 15 days if you do not want to get stuck with a re-stocking fee. Just a friendly warning...I know it sucks!
I purchased mine from Best Buy. Do they charge a restocking fee after 15 days?

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't mind Mercury he is a huge HTC fanboy...

The OG Evo was miles better than the Original Galaxy on Sprint (unless you wanted a keyboard).

The Evo 3d wasn't a great device. It lagged and while the 3d function was cool and worked well the only time I ever used it was to show off that it could do it. I never used it day to day. It was better than the Nexus S, but worse than the Galaxy S II. To be fair the Galaxy S II came out a few months after the 3d.

It looks like this round is even (for the most part) and will be up to personal preference. One of the things the OG Evo had that helped it so much was the XDA developer community giving the device a MUCH longer shelf life. But in this round a lot of the OG Evo guys are switching. For me if I can find an S3III I will be switching.

Evo Pro's:
Screen (is amazing)
Sense (the best looking UI added by manufactures)

Evo Cons:
NonRemovable Battery
Sense (barely have any free RAM)
Multitasking (see Sense)

SGIII Pro's:
Replaceable Battery
2 GB Ram
3rd Party accesories
Availability of 32GB and eventually 64GB storage.

SGIII Cons
Screen (nice screen but not as clear as the Evo)
TouchWiz (isn't as polished)
Update history (hopefully changes since there aren't multiple variants of the same phone, plus there is going to be a HUGE development effort for this phone)

For me the Cons of the Evo is a bigger reason for me to try to switch than the pros of either phone.

Reactions: samanticide

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I went with the EVO LTE. After two Samsung Android products (Epic 4G and Galaxy Tab 10.1) I've ended up disappointed with the Samsung experience.

The Epic with its wonky GPS, odd Bluetooth issues and a screen that started to die on me after 14 months of use was like a spoiled child that needed constant attention to perform as expected. I admit it was fun at first, tinkering with ROM's to get the most out of it but after trying ROM after ROM, the end result was that I was never happy with it. Vanilla TouchWiz? Hell no! It was ugly, laggy, and had too much crapware.

I gave Sammy another chance when I got the Tab 10.1. I admit it was the form factor that got me since it thinness made it the easiest HC tablet to cart around in my camera bag. I now regret it as Sammy can't seem to update it past 3.2 and there's no excuse for that: contemporary tablets have been updated to 4.0 and being the WiFi tablet, Samsung is not being held back by any carriers to perform the update.

So when I saw the S3 and the EVO LTE I chose EVO. Sure, the Sense multitasking thing is a disappointment but not nearly as frustrating as the negative GPS and Bluetooth issues with the Epic for my use. Besides that, right out of the box the EVO LTE is the most satisfying device I've used. Yea, the 2GB of RAM is extremely tempting but if I were to give my money to Samsung once more it's be like staying in an abusive relationship...

So that's why I'm keeping an eye on this forum; if Samsung cleans up their act my next device may be a Samsung, but as it is I didn't want to give them my money once more.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep, after owning several Sammy's, saga was real head ache, nexus s another head ache. I tried and stuck with HTC and me head aches is all gones.....lol:D:thumbup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol