Sprint Customers: Evo LTE or Samsung S3

Evo LTE or Samsung S3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was was fine with the HTC Evo LTE, but I ended up returning it to Sprint on the 13th day of the return/exchange period.

At the beginning the phone was working great and the camera was awesome. But after about a week or so, issues begin to pop up. First off, sense kept reloading. This happened at least 2-3 times a day. At first it didn't bother me that much, but after awhile it became frustrating.

Another issue was the phone freezing up...especially the dialer. I would go to make a call and it wouldn't go through. Then a minute or two later, the phone would start dialing that person by itself.

And the multitasking...wow...I'm not going to go through that. But all I'm gonna say is that it's awful!

So I ordered me a SGS3...hopefully this is better than the Evo Lte...but who knows. Every device isn't always bug or problem free.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes you heard me right,I said lag as everyime Sammy came out with a new phone I would mess with them side by side and there was always a noticeable lag compared to HTC phones I was trying out . I had nexus s and is was real laggy I had to get rid of it and the're was screen burn issue other people experienced as well.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Than we will have to agree to disagree. I actually converted over a few HTC guys over to Samsung because of the performance difference. I will admit that samsung phones are flawed in there updates, and their radio's suck, but their processors are so far ahead of everyone else's that it more than makes up for their flaws in my opinion.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah to each their own I guess, we all have our individual likes and dislikes. That's what makes this world go round....:D

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine from Best Buy. Do they charge a restocking fee after 15 days?
Sprint is always changing their fine lines on returns. I was a trader for 8 days, and tried the iPhone. It was on the receipt I had 15 days for exchange return.

Here is there definition on their website...

Sprint Free Guarantee
With the Sprint Free Guarantee, you can try Sprint for 14 days. If you are not completely satisfied, you can get reimbursed for the device purchase, activation fee, monthly recurring charges, and you can get the early termination fee and all associated taxes and Sprint surcharges associated with these charges waived. In addition, Sprint will waive the restocking fee for new customer exchanges.1*

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint is always changing their fine lines on returns. I was a trader for 8 days, and tried the iPhone. It was on the receipt I had 15 days for exchange return.

Sprint Free Guarantee
With the Sprint Free Guarantee, you can try Sprint for 14 days. If you are not completely satisfied, you can get reimbursed for the device purchase, activation fee, monthly recurring charges, and you can get the early termination fee and all associated taxes and Sprint surcharges associated with these charges waived. In addition, Sprint will waive the restocking fee for new customer exchanges.1*
This I understand, but from what I understand, you have 14 days to reverse the upgrade with Sprint, but thru Best Buy I have 30 days to exchange the phone. So if on day 29 I don't like the Evo and want to get the Samsung S3, I can do that. Basically beyond 14 days and up to 30 days I can only exchange the phone; within 14 days I can return the phone.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Sprint Free Guarantee

14 days?

What happened to 30 days?

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

hbmindy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This has been almost exactly my experience. I really like the EVO LTE for the first few days, but it's just gotten worse and worse. The Sense reloading happens more often every day. It probably reloaded 20 times yesterday. And it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to reload each time.

There is significant lag on just about everything. It seems slower than my original EVO. Apps load so slowly. There is just nothing snappy about this phone.

The multi-tasking issue is so annoying. I feel like this will probably be fixed at some point by an update, but it's ridiculous that they couldn't even get that right, out of the box.

My GPS isn't working. This is probably a defective unit on that issue. If it were the only issue, I would return it and try another, but with everything else that is wrong and/or disappointing with this phone, I think I'm going to just return it and wait for the Samsung.

I really expected to love this phone. I have loved my original EVO from day 1 and just assumed this one would be equally great. I'm so disappointed.

I thought I was was fine with the HTC Evo LTE, but I ended up returning it to Sprint on the 13th day of the return/exchange period.

At the beginning the phone was working great and the camera was awesome. But after about a week or so, issues begin to pop up. First off, sense kept reloading. This happened at least 2-3 times a day. At first it didn't bother me that much, but after awhile it became frustrating.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
......The OG Evo was miles better than the Original Galaxy on Sprint (unless you wanted a keyboard)......

I'm going to have to disagree here with you. As a matter of fact, the Epic 4G is STILL BETTER than the OG Evo. Ask OG Evo users how ICS (rooted) runs on their phones vs. Epic 4G owners with ICS (rooted of course!)!

dhoshman

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm picking up my GS3 tomorrow and I've had the EVO since launch and I'm not expecting any big differences. Same processor close to same screen size, both great cameras. I can't say one bad thing about the Evo it is so far the best device I have ever had and I have had a LOT of devices lol. Its definitely a well built device though.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

carlos516x

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I orignally had the EVO 4G LTE and returned it on the 13th day. I mainly returned it because I want to try the SG3 before I decide which one to keep. I liked the EVO a lot but I didn't think the camera was a great as some were stating. I guess I will see what the opinions are between the two once the SG3 is released. I preordered a 32gb blue but I gues i have to wait until next week due to the delay.

tripsbacks

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think both phones are badass. I have an original Evo and would love to try the Evo LTE, but the removable battery is really the only issue for me. Watching baseball 24-7 requires power lol. As far as sense and touchwiz goes don't we all end up with a different rom within 6 months? My opinion is you really can't lose with either one.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I know it's impossible for anyone to really know but which phone is expected to have the superior developer community? Presumably Samsung will have a larger market share... does this have any baring on how fast popular roms such as cyanogen show up?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

samanticide

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
This has been almost exactly my experience. I really like the EVO LTE for the first few days, but it's just gotten worse and worse.

This is probably a defective unit on that issue..

I'm hoping mine is defective and a simple exchange will fix some of my noted issues below.
I upgraded from the OG HTC EVO 4G to the new LTE one, primarily
because I loved the OG, but was def looking forward to the upgrades to
the pictures, pixels, power, and performance. The kickstand is
spring-loaded now, and I love the form factor. ICS is an obvious plus
as well, but I don't know if I'm gonna root the phone to remove the
bloatware and truly unravel ICS's potential. I do feel like
multi-tasking has taken a step back (however threads/forums reveal
that rooting the phone eleviates this issue created by HTC Sense).
Battery-life ain't what it ought to be given that it's no longer
removable (my iPhone 3GS is 2.5 years old and can still carry a longer
charge). I'm not getting the same battery life as others have shared
in the forums. I do believe I may have a defective unit (hopefully),
because the new external camera button is quite unresponsive.
However, now I'm afraid that since SGS3 is in the pipline, I may be tempted to return the HTC and venture off to a
far, far galaxy...

...any thoughts?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping mine is defective and a simple exchange will fix some of my noted issues below.
I upgraded from the OG HTC EVO 4G to the new LTE one, primarily
because I loved the OG, but was def looking forward to the upgrades to
the pictures, pixels, power, and performance. The kickstand is
spring-loaded now, and I love the form factor. ICS is an obvious plus
as well, but I don't know if I'm gonna root the phone to remove the
bloatware and truly unravel ICS's potential. I do feel like
multi-tasking has taken a step back (however threads/forums reveal
that rooting the phone eleviates this issue created by HTC Sense).
Battery-life ain't what it ought to be given that it's no longer
removable (my iPhone 3GS is 2.5 years old and can still carry a longer
charge). I'm not getting the same battery life as others have shared
in the forums. I do believe I may have a defective unit (hopefully),
because the new external camera button is quite unresponsive.
However, now I'm afraid that since SGS3 is in the pipline, I may be tempted to return the HTC and venture off to a
far, far galaxy...

...any thoughts?

In my opinion you can't go wrong either way. I was very tempted to get the evo lte. My concerns being the non removable battery and the fact that the one x still didn't have a full unlock yet. Then I heard about the multi tasking issues with the one x and figured the evo may have the same issues.

About the time I decided I would give the evo a try, the the rumors that the gs3 would soon be released made me pause again. So I put my upgrade on hold again.

I think I made the right decision. At least for me.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty critical guy about phones and occasionally I'll mess with custom roms and tweakson my devices once I get bored with a device. The evo LTE is very nice phone and I think it comes down to personal opinion. I did order s3 32GB and will decide which phone I'll keep but I really enjoy this device. Htc really did a good job this time around, so many different options to customize everything in the phone so easy too.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
IMO, the original Evo was a kickass phone. The Evo 3D was a joke. I'm not stuck on brand loyalty and have no problem moving on.

For many of you the Evo LTE is the bees knees but why do you feel you have to kick people who don't share your glee about that phone? Some of these comments defending HTC to the death seem to be from dieharders that need to justify their purchase cause they didn't return it in time!!!!!

Reactions: Uncle Louie

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
The newest Galaxy is impressive for sure, definitely fills out the stat sheet nicely. But I'm honestly too in love with the new EVO to consider switching for differences that aren't game-changers for my use. Some of us will be driving a lamborghini, some of us will be driving a ferrari. But no one will be looking over their shoulder in envy.

joeydownsouth

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Galaxys3 is the , after airave issues solved one badass phone, super responsive thanks to 2 gigs of ram

Message brought to you by my stock GalaxyS3

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Out side picture are very close but low light or inside pictures s3 destroys Evo. Camera ui Evo however wins hands down, SAMSUNG should fix that very easily. Texting layout and functionality I think Evo wins that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan