A few differences between the international and Sprint version

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
When comparing the know specs and what we have seen from unboxing videos of the GS3 to what is listed on the Sprint site, two major things stick out to me.

1. The micro SD card capacity is listed as 32 GB
2. No headphones included with the phone.

Now what's up with that? The headphones I don't care too much about if they are missing although it would have been a nice touch to have them, but I am most confused about whether the Sprint version will be able to read 64 GB cards. I'd hate to buy one and then having to return it just because the card can't be read. I can't imagine why Samsung would change this spec eventhough the phone was introduced as being able to handle 64 gb cards.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: A few differences between the international and Sprint versio

I am pretty sure it will be able to read the 64gb cards.

A bunch of recent phones said only 32gb but they can handle the 64gb.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Yeah. I was on their site snooping around for the specs of the 32 gb model when another csr popped up. I asked him the same thing and he said either one of them can only read 32 gb cards. I mentioned the international version and he didn't know what I was talking about...no surprise there.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

HTC also said the new LTE could only use up to 32 gig cards and 64 worked fine with them so my guess is all will be fine...but seriously....what could you possibly need 80 gigs of memory for on a cell phone?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Currently no phone manufacturer has stated 64gb cards work. But we as the 1% know better. As for headphones it could b carrier electing not fork over extra cash like the deal on drop box with att and vzw

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

hounddogdaddy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That would be a bummer about the headphones, I was really looking forward to having a set of earbuds with the inline controls. :sly:

Not sent from my Pre-Ordered Galaxy S3 as it is currently busy being taken to court by Apple, whose motto must now be "Don't innovate, just litigate"!

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I have a 64gb card in my EVO 4 LTE and its working like a charm.If you look at the Best Buy pre-order page online for the GSIII, it actually has as a product feature the ability to support a 64gb card.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

The biggest difference, that you should all be up in arms over, is that the S and VZW versions will come with a dual-core processor, making them only slightly better than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus hardware. Only the international SIII has the quad-core processor that has the reviewers drooling.

Is the 32Gb SIII worth $249 when the 32Gb Galaxy Nexus is now $149? Is it worth100 bucks for .3 Ghz bump in processor speed and an SD slot plus TouchWiz/bloatware?

--Qfg

naysay123

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

it is the snapdragon s4 has much better performance than what the galaxy nexus has. at least in terms of benchmarks.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

it is the snapdragon s4 has much better performance than what the galaxy nexus has. at least in terms of benchmarks.

It will be interesting to see what the real difference is. Galaxy Nexus is a 1.2 GHz TI OMAP, while the GS3 is a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Krait. Both are ARMv7 implementations. Krait has 3 more pipeline stages.

AC hasn't benchmarked the S/VZW GSIII officially, but here's are report with benchmarks on a Qualcomm developer platform handset:

AnandTech - Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait) Performance Preview - 1.5 GHz MSM8960 MDP and Adreno 225 Benchmarks

It squashes the CDMA Galaxy Nexus in benchmarks like Linpack. Then again, the old Galaxy SII beats the Galaxy Nexus as well. The developer handset's real-world performance advantage in things like task switching and browser launching was more like a half second. Load the GSIII up with Touch Wiz, bloatware and carrier monitoring, and I'm curious as to what the real-world difference will be.

I think the choice will come down to how much you want that SD slot.

--Qfg

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Guess u haven't been around AC doesn't do bench marking any more. With a few tweaks I can make any app say my nexus is awesome.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Where does it say that no headphones will be included? I don't really care one way or another since I have my own headphones, but its nice to have some included.

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site

I hope the menu button stays. I have the Evo LTE and frankly almost every non google app (and even some google apps) are still using the physical menu button and thus tons of screen real estate is lost on the Evo. I also am just fine holding the home button instead of hitting the multitasking button on the new Evo. I use the menu button much more often.

mgre03

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

About the headset. On the order page look at the bottom in the "what's in the box"
2100 mAh Lithium Ion Battery
Micro USB Cable and Charger
3.5mm Headset