Isn't tomorrow (June 12th) that Sprint event showing off the GS3?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Did you have hands on time? Did it feel as fast as it looks in the videos if the international version?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

scorpeo88

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Isn't tomorrow (June 12th) that Sprint event showing off the

very nice, I'm jeally. How was the pebble blue? Lag? Smoother than the iphone? How does it feel in the hands? Did you get a chance to mess with smart stay or direct call?

sly

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Event is over. Very fun. They had lots of games and demos. They used a point system using NFC. Our nametags had NFC stickers on them. As you went around to the different booths you accumulate points for asking questions and partaking in the demos. The games were the usual stuff like musical chairs and marshmallow eating. They had a leaderboard that refreshed every 5 seconds. The top 20 on the board then stood in the middle at the end. Using a random number generator they selected winners. 3 best buy gift cards 50,100 and 150 then the grand prize was a Samsung Smart Home Theater System. I won that! It will be shipped to me by August. Only thing I saw that I didn't know about before was the cover case will be available in more than two colors I saw a neon orange one that looked sick. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

I was there too! First off, the number of GSIII phones Samsung brought in for this was unbelievable. There were probably 100+ phones. I commented to Chris (one of the main Samsung guy), "I think there's enough phones here for everyone to walk out with one. Wouldn't that be something??" He was like, "You can walk out with one if you brought one in." lol

They only had 16GB white Sprint phones. However, one of the demo girls had a flip case that's similar to the Galaxy Note Flip Cover. The Flip Cover comes with a replacement back. She happened to have the blue and it looked pretty nice. I also saw the orange and yellow...interesting, but not for me. The blue looks metallic like the photos we've seen. I'm guessing it's the same as the regular blue cover. It was her own phone but I asked to play with it anyway. Very thin and light since the back cover isn't a protective cover. (Or is it? It doesn't really protect the phone but your original cover won't get scratched up. Hmmm)

Secondly, the TecTiles points were kinda lame. We didn't really need any incentive to play with the phone. And the games, especially the musical chair, were funny (especially when one of the chairs broke) but it didn't seem to fit with the whole event. People were just repeatedly going to the stations to gather points. And for what? Only four people won something, besides a T-shirt for all the 20 from the Leaderboard. But congrats on the Samsung Home Entertainment System!! I surely would've been happy to win that! hehe Having said that, I think Samsung would've made more of an impact if they gave everyone a T-Shirt and all 20 people from the Leaderboard an GSIII. The publicity and goodwill would've been immense. They should've skipped the alcohol and just serve regular beverages to compensate for the cost of the phones.

Anyway, it was a fun event (thank you Samsung/Sprint!). I really enjoyed playing with the phone before the launch. It's certainly not a one-handed operation kind of phone like my NS4G but felt comfortable. I'd say somewhere between the Galaxy Nexus and One X. But the speed, design, and display of the phone is stunning. It flies. Nothing I did (browsing, maps, video, flipboard, etc. simultaneously) would slow it. I recorded a video at one of the demos by zooming in on the different foods at a serving station. They HDMI-mirrored it onto a TV and it looked amazing. The camera did a great job. And it's pretty durable! One of the demo people accidentally dropped a phone from about 5' and it didn't suffer any damage.

And nother comment I made to Chris, "Holy crap, it's using 437mb of RAM and there's still 1.2GB free!"

Last edited:

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

did Sprint drop any hints (or say directly) about when pre-orders will begin shipping?

sly

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

did Sprint drop any hints (or say directly) about when pre-orders will begin shipping?

Sprint's presence at the event was pretty much non-existence. No Sprint logos and all the signage were Samsung. And I think most of the people running the show (if not all) were Samsung. I tried repeatedly to ask different people when we can expect the phone to ship. None of them would say anything except "Very soon."

I'm usually good at milking info out of people but it doesn't help when the douchebag with the WP7 whips out his phone and chimes in "Here, look, it says June 21st" and I'm thinking, "OK, you're a moron. Can't you see I'm playing dumb to get him to drop his guard and maybe get him to say something he wouldn't otherwise say?" lol

SirNickselot

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I am pretty sure Sprint had little to nothing to do with this. In fact I think they had multiple events like this. The voucher for my prize had a T-Mobile logo at the bottom.

I actually liked the TecTiles. They can be programmed to do a lot. I am going to put one on my night stand so I just have to wave the phone by it and it will turn on my alarm for the morning, turn off sound, sync dropbox, etc. Then in the morning just wave the phone and it will turn off alarms, turn on sound, wifi, etc.. whatever you want. Samsung is selling them 5 for $15 I know you can get them online for closer to $1 a piece.

The phone was very fast. One of the booths was showing off S-Beam by having people walk around and shoot video then going back to the booth where the girl would then beam the video to her gs3 which was hooked up to a tv and then show the video. A 2 minute video took just a few seconds to go from the gs3 I shot it on to her phone to the tv.

Also the picture on the tv was great and there was no noticeable lag when she played around with the home screens. Also switching from portrait to landscape was instant on the tv.

I did learn one other thing about the flip cover case that my girlfriend pointed out to me. When the cover is over the screen there is a hole over the earpiece which means you can talk on the phone with the screen covered. For guys it means no super greasy phone screen when you get off the phone and for girls no make up on the phone just on the cover.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure Sprint had little to nothing to do with this. In fact I think they had multiple events like this. The voucher for my prize had a T-Mobile logo at the bottom.

I actually liked the TecTiles. They can be programmed to do a lot. I am going to put one on my night stand so I just have to wave the phone by it and it will turn on my alarm for the morning, turn off sound, sync dropbox, etc. Then in the morning just wave the phone and it will turn off alarms, turn on sound, wifi, etc.. whatever you want. Samsung is selling them 5 for $15 I know you can get them online for closer to $1 a piece.

The phone was very fast. One of the booths was showing off S-Beam by having people walk around and shoot video then going back to the booth where the girl would then beam the video to her gs3 which was hooked up to a tv and then show the video. A 2 minute video took just a few seconds to go from the gs3 I shot it on to her phone to the tv.

Also the picture on the tv was great and there was no noticeable lag when she played around with the home screens. Also switching from portrait to landscape was instant on the tv.

I did learn one other thing about the flip cover case that my girlfriend pointed out to me. When the cover is over the screen there is a hole over the earpiece which means you can talk on the phone with the screen covered. For guys it means no super greasy phone screen when you get off the phone and for girls no make up on the phone just on the cover.

And the phones you got to play with were definitely the sprint version? I am very happy to read that the phone feels fast and and lag free, just as I was hoping. Can't wait to get mine!

SirNickselot

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I am pretty sure they were branded with Sprint but I could be wrong. I was told by several people that they were preproduction units. I think they may have said that only when things went wrong. One device suddenly lost it's wifi connection and thats when it became a preproduction unit.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure they were branded with Sprint but I could be wrong. I was told by several people that they were preproduction units. I think they may have said that only when things went wrong. One device suddenly lost it's wifi connection and thats when it became a preproduction unit.

Well it must have been the krait powered variety since it was said in an earlier reply that there was 1.2 gb if ram free when they checked.

SirNickselot

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Looks like it, that food wasn't that great either. The clock\weather widget says Boston but the time is off. I was at the event 6pm-8pm. They may have had an earlier one too.

sly

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube

Is this a video from that event? If you check under comments, the person confirms that it's the Sprint version. That thing just flies through homescreens, smooth as butter!

That looks like the food I ate so it's probably from the event with the wrong time zone in the clock? I did ask a few people at the event and they all said the demo phones were Sprint's version.

I got yelled at for taking pictures. Weird, cause they didn't tell us we couldn't when we came in. But here's a few I snapped before being told. Nothing too exciting but yeah, it looks huge in my hand.

I don't think there should be any concerns with the speed of the phone. I mean, it's quick. It doesn't lag. You tap an icon, and it loads. I hit the camera icon and it's ready to take a photo. But there wasn't any opportunity to actually test using the phone, like sending an MMS/SMS, making a call, running Facebook app, running a different launcher, adding third-party widgets, etc.

Reactions: calvin35 and Clocks

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed in the video I posted that when he brings down the notifications, you can make out Sprint as the carrier.

Still wondering why no pics or videos were allowed, I mean really, the cat is already out if the bag.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I just noticed in the video I posted that when he brings down the notifications, you can make out Sprint as the carrier.

Still wondering why no pics or videos were allowed, I mean really, the cat is already out if the bag.

You would think these events were meant to HYPE the phone, instead of trying to HIDE the phone.

sly

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

You would think these events were meant to HYPE the phone, instead of trying to HIDE the phone.

In retrospect, I think the event was mostly to highlight Samsung-specific features in the GS3. If I remember correctly, these were the demo stations they had:

1. AllShare
2. TecTiles - Programming/Scanning
3. S Beam
4. Best Shots
5. TecTiles - Memory game

A 6th station was where Chris and the main event people were hanging out chatting with people. Not once did I hear anyone mention S Voice. But two stations for TecTiles? Hmm...what exactly is Samsung trying to promote here?

The S Beam station handed phones to people and told them to go and record a cool video. I should've just hid in a corner and downloaded some benchmarks or something :D But I was fixated on doing a cool video.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae