HD Voice?

El Nivek

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know if the GSIII is gonna support Sprint's HD Voice network, like the Evo LTE does? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, both phones need to be HD voice capable to take advantage. I guess Wifey will get an upgrade!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 does not support HD voice, the only phone currently on Sprint that supports it is the Htc Evo 4g LTE. It won't work until Sprint's new network is up and running and it will only work between two phones that have HD. There is no mention of the GS3 supporting HD voice anywhere and if you don't believe Google it.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm a little sketchy on this whole thing. First HD voice wireless protocol only works when both users have hd voice phones on both on HD voice networks. Then i see some references to the EVO LTE already being considered "HD Voice" on account of dual mics and earpiece noise cancellation???? What the heck? I have a phone with 3 separate mics for noise cancellation only. My 12 month old phone isn't HD voice, and neither is the EVO LTE until multi-rate wideband is deployed.

That said, i dont recall seeing support for it in the FCC filing so it wins the war on that :p. Someone could double check though.

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little sketchy on this whole thing. First HD voice wireless protocol only works when both users have hd voice phones on both on HD voice networks. Then i see some references to the EVO LTE already being considered "HD Voice" on account of dual mics and earpiece noise cancellation???? What the heck? I have a phone with 3 separate mics for noise cancellation only. My 12 month old phone isn't HD voice, and neither is the EVO LTE until multi-rate wideband is deployed.

That said, i dont recall seeing support for it in the FCC filing so it wins the war on that :p. Someone could double check though.

Right and the chances of right now 2 phones being connected at the same time that will both have HD voice is what? Probably slim.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Is HD Voice still on schedule for Sprint by the end of the year? I have not seen any much discussion of this anywhere.

It's available in some areas but it really only helps those with an hd voice phone like the evo lte. I thought the gs3 wasn't.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Noise cancellation has nothing to do with HD Voice. HD Voice is just a new codec with less compression that Sprint will use over the 1xAdvanced protocol.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

That is completely different. While most carriers around the world are using "HD Voice" to mean Voice over LTE (VoLTE), as is the article in question, Sprint is using HD Voice as a marketing term for their new audio codec. The Sprint S3 will not get an update to make it compatible with the new codec.

Plus, even if Sprint's HD Voice were VoLTE, Sprint isn't planning to roll out VoLTE for the foreseeable future due to concerns over battery drainage, so our S3 still wouldn't be getting HD Voice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz