Is 16gb really enough?

Jimieo

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Like many of you, I use cloud services... Google Play Music has all of my songs. DropBox and Google Drive handle my important documents. Google+ handles my photos and videos.

My concern still lies with the space limits. It appears as if apps can no longer write to and be stored on our micro SD cards on ICS? Is that correct? The chances of me using 16gb on ONLY apps is not that likely, I think.

I am a huge fan of emulators. NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64, GBA, GBC, Atari.. I have roughly 1 gig of roms for various emulators. I also like games like GTA III, Modern Combat 3, but I do not know how much space these take. Several other apps, though not nearly as demanding when it comes to space.

As far as music, I would probably only have a few albums saved for offline listening...

Okay, I rambled a lot... Those of you with your 16gb models, is that enough for you all? How many apps/games do you generally have installed?

Maybe I just over analyze things. :confused:

epic_samantha

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think I should have ordered the 32GB S3. I love this phone but I have 11GB of music I can't download because I'll run out of space. I can't figure out how to move to the SD card (that's even if I can) which I doubt I can do. SMH :confused:

Send from my Samsung Galaxy S lll

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think I should have ordered the 32GB S3. I love this phone but I have 11GB of music I can't download because I'll run out of space. I can't figure out how to move to the SD card (that's even if I can) which I doubt I can do. SMH :confused:

Send from my Samsung Galaxy S lll

I put all 20 gb of my music on the external sd card. Downloaded to the computer, inserted the sd card into the card reader on my computer and copied the music to the card. Piece of cake.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Great post. Looking forward to hearing suggestions received. Although I ordered the 32gb, still interested in the various ways people are using different resources to conserve (take advantage of) the space options available.

Jimieo

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain what a Rhapsody account is either, but if you can download your own music, you can upload it to Google Play Music. Up to 20,000 songs can be stored on there for free. If you have more than 20k songs, well upload what you can and keep your favorites on your phone/card.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It should be enough for apps. Get a big Micro SD card for all music, video and pictures. Some apps can be moved to micro SD card as well.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I thought i read somewhere the issue with moving app data to SD is because of a naming issue samsung decided with the internal external partitions and is fixable after rooting. The move to SD function is definitely still native in ICS so it's a device specific issue. Also, people may be confusing useable internal storage with the /system (where the core OS lives) or /data partition (where apps live and app cache, dalvik cache, apps etc) because these are separate sandboxes. They may reside on the same flash chip, but obey different rules and have different intended functions. When they say 16GB internal storage, that may indicate that the chip was orignally 16gb but after the OTA update space partition, cache, boot, system, data ... you're left with 8gb internal to be used the same as an SD would be, or maybe Sammy flipped the script and 16gb means 16 usable internal. Either way i digress, 16gb internal storage doesn't translate into 16gb of /data partition for apps to use, it's describing the internal storage set aside to be used as a standard SD space.

Theres a long history of upset android consumers being sold "16gb internal memory" only to receive 9 usable because they neglected to mention partitions. Don't get me started on the OEM mislabeling storage and memory ::SMH:: (I'm guilty above only to prevent confusion)

Regarding space, i know the world is moving to cloud solutions but with the sprint network degradation where i live, streaming any media is not pleasant and usually results in as much buffer time as you have play time. Locally stored media doesnt have that problem. Remember, this phone can handle a 64gb micro sd so even if you went with the 16gb, you can have 80gb of local space (16 partition, 64 partition) which is nothing to be ashamed of. My current phone was marketed with 16gb internal (only 8 is useable as internal SD) and a 32gb card of which i'm using a combined 1gb probably but the tech geek in me says go 32 or go home lmfao.

I really believe it depends on use case and everyone has their own preference and habits but if you aren't on the immediate map for LTE deployment, if you stream a lot of media, if you use the device for as much entertainment as a phone .... probably smart to shell out the extra $50 to be safe. Those who don't use the phone for media often may be better suited to save the $50 for an accessory. Ha ha what a funny problem to have ... a 16gb phone or 32???

EDIT - A little google-fu showed me the way to partition mapping and sizes on the SGS3. I believe thats the international version but minimally the partition sizes would likely be the same, even if mapping was slightly different.

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Im big on the cloud too. So I guess I just need the internal storage for mainly apps. Which should be more than enough.

My Dropbox:
-all documents ever created/saved
-movies downloaded from my computer for kick ass streaming
-Photos from computer, ipad, and soon to be GS3

My Google Drive:
-recent/important documents.

My Google Music:
-streaming the music from my cousins itunes because Im too lazy to buy my own and we have the same music taste :p

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
where i live, streaming any media is not pleasant and usually results in as much buffer time as you have play time. Locally stored media doesnt have that problem." This describes my situation, too. And I will be surprised if I see LTE within a year.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been just fine with 16GB in the past. I don't foresee myself filling up all of the internal storage. Especially with the micro SD.

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I filled up 16 gigs in a few months. But get the 16 anyway and use the $50 you saved to buy a 64gb sd (try to get a high class, like 10 if you can). Then you have 80 gigs for the same price as 32. I really don't know why anyone is buying the 32 gig version? What am I missing?

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

joeydownsouth

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I use wd2Togo app for my network drive, no need to store music, pics, or documents, when you can just pull them wirelessly at anytime with 3g or WiFi

Message brought to you by my stock GalaxyS3

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How many apps can you roughly store in a 16gb? I know it depends on the app size but......roughly? Don't wanna buy a 16gb then regret it, I'm not worried about music etc

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
How many apps can you roughly store in a 16gb? I know it depends on the app size but......roughly? Don't wanna buy a 16gb then regret it, I'm not worried about music etc

I have 100 apps and I am only using about 2.6Gb. The system files take up quite a bit.

16Gb Internal Storage
-4.05Gb System files
----------------------------
11.95Gb available
-2.6Gb Apps and other data that needs to be on internal storage
----------
9.35Gb available now for anything new. 16Gb of internal storage seems ok for now (32Gb certainly would be nice). I have a better understanding of what I can move to the external SD card so I have kept internal storage lean. Thousands of songs, lots of pictures, ROMs, and a couple of Nandroid backups (only 2 but they are over 2Gb each), and other movable files are on the 32Gb SD card that has about 18Gb left.

In summary, I think 16Gb internal and a 32Gb (recommend 64Gb if affordable) SD card is sufficient for all but a few.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree, 16gb + 32gb sd should be fine for most people. You can also use a 64gb if you want to store all your music and pictures. More choices than Iphone users have! :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If you go with the 32GB version, you may never need all that space, but you'll be glad you won't have to say, "I wish I had gotten..." If you have lots of photos, etc., a 32 or 64GB card is the answer, regardless of your phone's internal memory. Class 10 32GB micro SD cards are available for $20-$25 and 64GB cards are $60-$65. Just make sure you get a reputable one or you may be wasting you $ just to get a bargain.