Wifi Issues

scipio11111

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having wifi issues? My Evo 3D held my signal like a rock throughout my house, but my S III keeps dropping. Tried changing from auto to 5 to 2.4 with no effect. And no, I don't have any cordless phones.

Thanks

souljourn

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. It doesn't just drop, it's as if the Wi-fi toggle was turned off. The toggle icon is on green, but the task bar doesn't show the Wi-fi signal indicator anymore. So I turned on WiFi manually in Settings, as of now, it seems to stay on. So I hope its just a widget issue and not a hardware issue.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My moto is a little weird sometimes. Maybe once every 2 weeks it will get stuck in the obtaining IP process which results in the wifi availability not displaying in the status bar (like you described) and the wifi won't connect. If i go into system settings, into wifi, and select the network it's stuck on, it usually optains the IP and connects. Again, only happens every couple weeks but is annoying none-the-less.

Off topic but a cool wifi app, there used to be an app called auto wifi enabler, one of my favorite apps. The premise is it's an app which uses cell tower ID (not GPS polling so it doesnt waste battery) to turn the wifi radio on and off. If you connect to a wifi network, the app remembers the cell towers within range, and if you connect to those towers in the future, it turns wifi on automatically. When you leave, it turns it off. The dev removed it (dunno why) but Tasker can also do this and more if you don't mind the cost.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Two things seem to have been working for some folks.

If you have a routed that does both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, set the phone on 5 rather than automatic.

Also, try swapping the security encryption method.

Now that I have switched to 5 Ghz, it's rock solid.

At work where we have only 2.4 it never disconnected once.

Appears to be happening on the ATT version as well.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Two things seem to have been working for some folks.

If you have a routed that does both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, set the phone on 5 rather than automatic.

Also, try swapping the security encryption method.

Now that I have switched to 5 Ghz, it's rock solid.

At work where we have only 2.4 it never disconnected once.

Appears to be happening on the ATT version as well.

Wow native support for the 5 band? Way cool. Better for media streaming and a lot less crowding but denser waves give less coverage :(

I've had my photon a year and although capable, moto never enabled it and the community just got it sorted a couple weeks ago. You guys are lucky

EDIT- so it seems setting it to 5 makes that the prefer band but the phone will default to 2.4 if 5 isn't available? Just curious

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am also having wifi issues. Disconnects randomly. Only had the phone two days and both mornings the wifi says it is connected but won't work until I reboot the phone. This is a router that is rock solid on all other devices. I also have an access point outdoors and it does the same with it until I reboot the phone. Also has HORRIBLE signal strength compared to my EVO LTE and it even manages to be a little bit worse than my SII.

bauer2

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine has been rock solid at the house on both 2.4 and 5 and the signal has been as good as both my laptops.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I am also having wifi issues. Disconnects randomly. Only had the phone two days and both mornings the wifi says it is connected but won't work until I reboot the phone. This is a router that is rock solid on all other devices. I also have an access point outdoors and it does the same with it until I reboot the phone. Also has HORRIBLE signal strength compared to my EVO LTE and it even manages to be a little bit worse than my SII.

Until you flesh out the cause and identify a fix, toggle airplane mode rather than rebooting. Killing all radios and re enabling them will usually fix wonky wifi/3g/bt/etc issues.

Regarding wifi strength ..... my NS4G would drive me up a fracking wall. 10 feet from my router, no walls or obstructions, and i have 2 bars?!?!?!?!?!?! If i step onto my deck wifi drops instantly. My LG and moto and nook tap and HTC and blackberry and chrome laptop will hold wifi all the way across the deck and part way through the yard. Samsung/Google pushed a fix, which only made it so more bars showed, but did nothing for actual signal strength. Yippie ..... now i have 2 bars wifi when it drops LMFAO

EDIT - Free pro tip for new users, go into wifi settings and turn the sleep policy to never. This stops the phone from killing the wifi radio when asleep.

Reactions: scipio11111

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My wifi worked great on my SG11 but it won't authenticate on my G3. When it scans and tries to connect I get an "authentication error occured." Anyone have any idea why wifi won't work on my phone?

EDIT: After more searching, I see the wifi issue is becoming a major problem, in addition to other glitches with the G3. I spent about an hour with Sprint and was connected to Samsung tech support. Neither one could resolve the wifi not connecting issue. I mentioned to the Sprint tech that in several forums, people are complaing wifi won't connect, or if it does, it won't stay connected. He went online while on the phone with me and saw many posts about wifi. He genuinely tried to help fix the issue but said it appears to be a Samsung problem and couldn't do anymore for me. I am not going to download 60 apps on Sprint's 3g on my G3 and I use wifi a lot. This is a major deal killer or me so the G3 is going back to Sprint. I contacted Sprint and had them reactive my E4GT. When the glitches get worked out on the G3, maybe I'll consider it again. I really like my E4GT, so I don't mind waiting a while.

Last edited: