Anyone Else Having Sprint GS III Radio Issues??

uberterrific

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love this phone, as it really rocks. I am however having an issue with the poor radio signal strength versus other cell phones. It seems I am constantly roaming, but my wife's i-phone will have 3-4 bars right beside me. This is not good, as it seems that lately ALL Samsung radios suck, just as they did with the Epic 4g Touch (GS II) & they still have not fixed the problem. If it doesn't work better soon, Sprint can have all of thier new crap phones back & I'll jump ship, as I hear the Evo 4g LTE also has the same problem. All that $$ for a smartphone, that can't hardly even make a call LMAO! :'(

MustangSVO

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I had exactly the same problem.

My family currently has a couple of iPhones and I'm coming from an og EVO, all of which don't have the signal strength issues my Galaxy S3 had. The S3 constantly roamed, and every time it did, there would be a nagging notification alerting me something was wrong. Sometimes it would come back to Sprint, but most of the time it would remain roaming. And to make matters, WIFI was incredibly bad as well. Forget about 802.11n, and 802.11g was half the strength of what it should have been.

To make a long story short, the very next day, I had to return the Galaxy S3 and go back to the og EVO. I'm now looking to try again with another phone.... :(

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My gs3 is working fine. But I've never had any problems with signal strength where I'm at. As a matter of fact the gs3 seems to have a better signal than my old nexus s4g.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love this phone, as it really rocks. I am however having an issue with the poor radio signal strength versus other cell phones. It seems I am constantly roaming, but my wife's i-phone will have 3-4 bars right beside me. This is not good, as it seems that lately ALL Samsung radios suck, just as they did with the Epic 4g Touch (GS II) & they still have not fixed the problem. If it doesn't work better soon, Sprint can have all of thier new crap phones back & I'll jump ship, as I hear the Evo 4g LTE also has the same problem. All that $$ for a smartphone, that can't hardly even make a call LMAO! :'(

The EVO LTE does NOT have these issues. I came from a Photon and the EVO's radios are almost as good. On the other had, my fiancee preordered an SGS3 and got it on launch day and its radios are far inferior to the EVO's, she already returned it. It is difficult to see the difference in radio quality unless you have a Photon or an EVO LTE next to it.

I am still within the return period of my EVO and really wanted to find a reason to exchange it for the SGS3 but found the EVO is superior in almost every way to the SGS3. This is my opinion, so please, no flaming.

My fiancee had a SGS2 previously and the only radio they improved on the SGS3 is GPS, WiFi and CDMA / 3G are still lacking.

Dont get me wrong, they are both badass phones, I just think the EVO LTE is a better phone.

Check this thread, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/175438-sprint-customers-evo-lte-samsung-s3-5.html#anb, people consistently complaining about the SGS3's radios.

Last edited:

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
My S3 is constantly losing data signal and going into roam half the time for data. Frequently it won't send text msgs and I have to retry.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Awake

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Several coworkers of mine have the GSIII, they also complain about poor signal, particularly GPS. I'm very skeptical about those saying they're not experiencing the same issues. These are the same issues I've had with my Epic 4G Touch.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

stlevouser

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The EVO LTE does NOT have these issues. I came from a Photon and the EVO's radios are almost as good. On the other had, my fiancee preordered an SGS3 and got it on launch day and its radios are far inferior to the EVO's, she already returned it. It is difficult to see the difference in radio quality unless you have a Photon or an EVO LTE next to it.

I am still within the return period of my EVO and really wanted to find a reason to exchange it for the SGS3 but found the EVO is superior in almost every way to the SGS3. This is my opinion, so please, no flaming.

My fiancee had a SGS2 previously and the only radio they improved on the SGS3 is GPS, WiFi and CDMA / 3G are still lacking.

Dont get me wrong, they are both badass phones, I just think the EVO LTE is a better phone.

Check this thread, http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/175438-sprint-customers-evo-lte-samsung-s3-5.html#anb, people consistently complaining about the SGS3's radios.

Actually, my evo lte radio isn't as good as my previous evo 4g. And not as good as other phones. Think the antenna got smaller or something, because I'm constantly roaming and not gettting good reception. When the signal is weak, forget about it. Very disappointed because it seems like a great phone. Thats why I came to this thread - to find out what people are saying about the sg3. Tried to return evo lte at best buy and the guy told me to wait for sg3 and exchange evo for sg3. I guess I'll try it, but I'm tired of not getting calls and having voicemail pop up 3 hours later.:(

lenny911

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Go into Settings, under Data Usage tap More Settings,then Mobile Networks to Network Mode and make sure CDMA is checked until LTE is available. Next hit back arrow to tap Roaming, then Roaming Network, then Sprint Only. This should prevent you from Roaming Mode. This should also help with the "Text Not Sent Issue" if you have at least 1 bar signal.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Several coworkers of mine have the GSIII, they also complain about poor signal, particularly GPS. I'm very skeptical about those saying they're not experiencing the same issues. These are the same issues I've had with my Epic 4G Touch.

The gps on these phones are the best I've ever seen on any phone. It picks up the gps signal faster than even my garmin. Not only me but every reviewer has said the gps radio is on this phone is a real preformer. Hearing this makes me wonder if you might be trolling just a bit.

Tell me please what's wrong with this gps? It finds more satellites than there are bars in the graph. The dev will have to update this app to provide a graph to show all the satellites this phone finds.

View attachment 29244

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Me and my wife have/had the same issue. We came from the evo4g and it was never this bad. We get the gs3 and its like the sprints bottom fell out.

We did get an airave and the alleviated most of the problems but still. Roaming notifications and undelivered texts still plague us sometimes.

Personally i feel the gs3 only highlights if you live in a poor reception area. We live in one particular section that sprint techs know about. Hence the airave.

I'm still not down on the phone simply because in other areas of town its fine. Mostly at the house i have these problems . :(

toddwoolf

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had my S III since it came out and have had no problems with signal strength. It is actually a little better than my S II!! Have not used the GPS yet so can't say on that one and the wifi seems to do just fine. Hope those of you that are having issues get them fixed and don't have to turn the phone in!! ...LOVE this phone!!

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Let me show you how skepticism works.
I'm skeptical that several of your co workers have an S3 since it didn't launch until after your post this morning.
Oh they all pre ordered? I'm skeptical of that also.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

That thread began on 5/23. Not close to the S3 launch. Those posters were complaining about the radio issues in the S2 and projecting those issues onto a device that wasn't even released yet. The "My S2 had a terrible radio so I know the S3 will as well." argument is specious and juvenile.

Reactions: ItsMeCD

eckono33

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I returned the EVO 4g LTE for the S3 and though the HTC seemed to have a stronger radio, I wouldnt necessarily say the radio in the S3 is weak. Now I tried the Galaxy Nexus, that phone def has a weak radio. But so Far the radio in the S3 seems average.

tdoom15

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I was worried about the s 3s radios too coming from a great performing pre minus. I was not disappointed with the s3. It gets the same coverage and on average, higher download speeds. Signal is also slightly better than my gfs s2.

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, my evo lte radio isn't as good as my previous evo 4g. And not as good as other phones. Think the antenna got smaller or something, because I'm constantly roaming and not gettting good reception. When the signal is weak, forget about it. Very disappointed because it seems like a great phone. Thats why I came to this thread - to find out what people are saying about the sg3. Tried to return evo lte at best buy and the guy told me to wait for sg3 and exchange evo for sg3. I guess I'll try it, but I'm tired of not getting calls and having voicemail pop up 3 hours later.:(

Dude, thats not normal, have them swap your EVO out for another one, or try the SGS3. They are both great phones, but from my experience, the EVO's radios were much better than my fiancee's SGS3, almost as good as the Photons. The best thing to do is to look at signal strength under settings and not bars, every phone manufacturer measures and displays bars differently, it's all about the dBm's.