16 or 32GB phone? please help!!

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Twice the space for only $50 more, well worth it!! 32gig!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I doubt if I will ever use close to all the space available...but, you never know! So, I went with the 32gb. Why not? It's only $50 bucks more and may make a difference in trade in value if/when that time comes.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I went ahead and got the 16gb white S3 and got a 32gb card, also have 50gb on my drop box account. So that is more than enough space for me. But thanks all for the suggestions.

Disturbd1

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't fathom why someone would buy the 32gb unit. Not when there is expandable storage with the microSD. That's like buying the largest cup available when they all have refills. It's just greedy and stupid, IMO. 16gb is a profound improvement over my original Evo 4G, and even if it wasn't, I have my 16gb microSD card, and if THAT proves not to be enough...I can always go and buy a larger card for a much cheaper price than paying the extra money for the internal storage. :cool:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I received my 50gb for my dropbox. Is it because I signed up with my existing account??? Should I have created a new account in order to have received it?? I'll factory reinstall if I have too!!

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I can't fathom why someone would buy the 32gb unit. Not when there is expandable storage with the microSD. That's like buying the largest cup available when they all have refills. It's just greedy and stupid, IMO. 16gb is a profound improvement over my original Evo 4G, and even if it wasn't, I have my 16gb microSD card, and if THAT proves not to be enough...I can always go and buy a larger card for a much cheaper price than paying the extra money for the internal storage. :cool:

See these are my thoughts exactly! Why does one need the 32GB version when it has expandable memory>> am I missiing something here?

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I received my 50gb for my dropbox. Is it because I signed up with my existing account??? Should I have created a new account in order to have received it?? I'll factory reinstall if I have too!!

I used an existing account and still received the 50 gigs. I received an email from dropbox 2 or 3 days after activating the phone.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site

See these are my thoughts exactly! Why does one need the 32GB version when it has expandable memory>> am I missiing something here?

Kind of depends on the power consumption of the card vs. the built in memory. Without testing I couldn't say for sure but you might get better battery life in the internal memory.

As an example, on my old Palm T|X I could read ebooks for days between charges when using only the internal memory, but with a SD card installed it dropped to hours because accessing the external card used significantly more power than the internal flash memory.

Now I know that the technology has gotten better over the years, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was still a measurable difference in power usage, and therefore battery life, when a external card is installed.

Additionally, you max out (with what is currently available) at 96GB with 32GB internal and 64GB card vs. 80GB with only 16GB internal and 64GB card. That might be important for some, probably not for me but for some. Personally I'll probably get the 16GB and a 32GB card. I'm fairly certain that will meet my needs, but I would not assume that it would meet everyone's needs.

And I always get the largest cup :p

Last edited:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

ya, i will be getting the 16gb one, a huge jump from my optimus s with only like 160 mb of storage.

Disturbd1

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I bet if you took a poll, well over 90% of smartphone users use their internal memory primarily for A) Apps, and B) Music. With cloud storage and streaming available for the latter, that leaves an option to save quite a bit of money on expandable external storage, or additional internal storage. Clearly the reason they give 2 options is to make more money, it has nothing to do with demand. As I mentioned before, if I could get by with my measly <1gb internal storage on my Evo...I think it's safe to say storage isn't really even a gripe when it comes to our phones. We've all had the "oh crap, I need to delete an app to free up space for a new one" moments, but overall I think it's the least of anyone's worries. As for a difference in battery life, it would be miniscule at best. I applaud Sammy for giving the option, because it simply means more money in their pocket. Oh, and since ICS and beyond seems to introduce the ability to attach external devices, including external storage...the need for a microSD card to be huge is lessened even more (though it would obviously be a hassle to lug around an external drive with you, it would be cool to have for long road trips for easy attachment to listen to your music library).

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Only thing is... If you install alot of apps, they get stored on the phone and so far no way to transfer to SD. With a 16gb after the phone takes what it needs to run you will be left with about 11-12gb to save apps to. A 32gb version will leave you with 27-28gb for apps. The SD card will be for Pictures, Videos, Music... So I opted for the 32gb and a 64gb SD card and I still have my 50gb of Dropbox too.

On my EVO and S2 I could save apps to SD card... Cant with S3...unless I have heard wrong or missed something new.

A person could run out of 11-12gb in app storage pretty fast.

Posted from my Sprint White GS3 via Tapatalk

Reactions: Unfranchise33

Sykotc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
No matter which size of S3 u got, you can transfer to extsd manually through the my files app.