Just returned my SGSIII...

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I loved 95% of the phone, but coming from an area that is covered with 4G Wimax service, leaving that behind was not happening. I tried this phone on Sprint's 3G service, and as my 12 year old would say, OMG.

The speeds are awful! I spend a large amount of my day running around, and with that I also do a lot of waiting around. Trying to watch a video, or browsing the net on the gorgeous screen was almost impossible for me. Wifi spots are never in the areas that I roam, so that option is out the window. Damn, this sucks for me lol.

The worst part, LTE is set to hit my area late 2013. Sticks to be me :-[

Reactions: Dark_Knight2

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
ya if you have wimax in your area and rely on it, it is best to wait till you have lte for a new phone.

If you dont have wimax just 3g like me, than it wont hurt. Luckily i get an average of 1.2 mbps download

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
ya if you have wimax in your area and rely on it, it is best to wait till you have lte for a new phone.

If you dont have wimax just 3g like me, than it wont hurt. Luckily i get an average of 1.2 mbps download

Damn, you get those speeds on 3G? Nice...

I was no where near those speeds.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Damn, you get those speeds on 3G? Nice...

I was no where near those speeds.

205548237.png

Reactions: Zulqarnain Nizamani

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I never got 4G worth a crap indoors, I didn't see the point and don't miss not having 4G on my LTE. I think occasionally I used it to download podcasts while on the go but that was just because I could. I never NEEDED it.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I had thought about switching to Sprint a short while back until I went into a local Sprint store and did a network speed comparison.

We currently have USCellular and I started a download of Angry Birds on both my phone and an Evo 4G LTE.

I was able to download, install and start playing on my phone before the download had hit 25% on the Evo.

I had heard that the Sprint 3G left a bad taste in peoples mouths, I just did not realize it tasted like that.

Needless to say, I am still shopping around, but looking at AT&T since their 4G LTE is live in St. Louis and it screams.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
so you bought a phone knowing that you wouldn't be able to use lte and would be stuck with sprints god awful 3g speeds?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had heard that the Sprint 3G left a bad taste in peoples mouths, I just did not realize it tasted like that.

It's all relative. When I was getting 20kbps (little b, bits) at work consistently with AT&T, I had everyone I knew bring over their phones. Verizon got 50kbps and Sprint got 800. I went with sprint.

Most parts around town are faster for AT&T, but at my house calls sucked, texts were late, and AT&T was unusable at work.. so I went with Sprint. Not perfect, but for MOST of my situations it was at least the same if not better

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
As everyone says, if you get Wimax now and rely on it, and 3G is not good where you are, then it would probably be a good idea and wait.
I am actually lucky, where I live in Connecticut, I am right near a tower and get really good 3G and Wimax speeds.

I just ran 3G speeds

Results: Download: 1.28 Mbps; Upload: 0.80 Mbps, which is pretty good.
WIMAX Download: 13.59 Mbps: Upload: 1.41 Mbps (download is fast, but upload is a little slow)

Just wait until LTE is activated in your area. Don't waist your money. There isn't going to be any new WIMAX phones made.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
And the Wimax towers that are up are getting converted to LTE right? So for instance the HTC Evo 4G will be sort of obsolete soon?

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
so you bought a phone knowing that you wouldn't be able to use lte and would be stuck with sprints god awful 3g speeds?

Negative on both counts lol. I haven't used 3G the way I did yesterday, and today since the EVO 4G came out.

As for Sprint's LTE service. I was told that Sprint would begin testing late this year with a possible release for later on the year. But, Sprint is falling behind according to a few techs.

So I guess I need to get my hands on a SGSII.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
And the Wimax towers that are up are getting converted to LTE right? So for instance the HTC Evo 4G will be sort of obsolete soon?
Some towers are getting upgraded to LTE while others are getting shut down for different reasons.

4g Wimax will not be turned off tomorrow or even the next day. Sprint has said they will support Wimax I think it was until the end of 2013 into 2014. Basically by then most people will have upgraded anyways to a newer LTE supporting phone so it shouldn't be an issue.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, such a gorgeous phone and it can't be taken advantage of in real world situations. Sprint better get into gear.

sizzle7

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Eh every person's case is different but most of the time I'm surrounded by free wifi so I hardly ever take advantage of 3g/4g coverage. I'm with Sprint due to unlimited data. Yeah, the calls drop in frequency but who talks on the phone these days? Lol plus you have Google voice that makes calls via data

jostnyc

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
so what youre saying is the new 4g lte phones arent backwards compatible and can use the 4g that was available before the lte came out?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta