TPU, Seidio, etc cases actually cause MORE SCRATCHES!

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why everyone here is TPU, Seidio, etc case fans...they actually cause more scratches!!

Why is this? Dirt and grime get in between the case and phone and everytime you hold your phone, it presses on the dirt/grime into the phone causes many microscratches.....

So why even put a case on? If you're going to get scratches on it, might as well leave the sides and back uncovered, right?

I understand that they are better at absorbring impacts, but it's going to do nothing to prevent micro scratches from happening

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I run with a full body protection from Phantom skinz or similar and a Seidio naked belt holster. Doesn't protect from the drops (or swims) but works. My wife's iPhone 4s is starting to scratch from the case she bot, body glove or armor, can't remember but it gets dirty and acts like sandpaper.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to know is if anyone has ever seen these scratches on their phones from these particular cases? Looks like this.....

img2058vw.jpg

img2061mi.jpg

This was on my Epic 4G with a Seidio Active X case.

Is it due to the type of material used on these cases that causes this?? Are silicone and rubber better than TPU or hard plastic to prevent these types of problems??

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I run with a full body protection from Phantom skinz or similar and a Seidio naked belt holster. Doesn't protect from the drops (or swims) but works. My wife's iPhone 4s is starting to scratch from the case she bot, body glove or armor, can't remember but it gets dirty and acts like sandpaper.

Do you remember what type of material her case was made of? I agree, the dust/dirt that gets into these cases becomes like sandpaper on the phone. I just wonder if certain materials are more prone than others.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to know is if anyone has ever seen these scratches on their phones from these particular cases? Looks like this.....

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

This was on my Epic 4G with a Seidio Active X case.

Is it due to the type of material used on these cases that causes this?? Are silicone and rubber better than TPU or hard plastic to prevent these types of problems??

those scratches are from dirt and grime getting in between the phone and the case...not form the case itself....

it stays there and every time you grip your phone, it digs into the phone causing those ugly scratches

Thank for proof of my original statement

I think the softer rubber silicone cases are more prone to it than tpu or seidio since they are more loose and stuff can get in between more easily

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
those scratches are from dirt and grime getting in between the phone and the case...not form the case itself....

it stays there and every time you grip your phone, it digs into the phone causing those ugly scratches

Thank for proof of my original statement

I think the softer rubber silicone cases are more prone to it than tpu or seidio since they are more loose and stuff can get in between more easily

I understand its not from the case itself but rather the dust/dirt that gets in there. What I want to know is how can one prevent this in the future? Are certain materials less or more prone than others or does it not matter? I'm looking to use a case but I want to be sure that the case I get doesn't contribute to this problem.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I would actually know a better case solution as well. Maybe what has a tighter fit? My tpu case fits pretty well but dirt is already always stuck under there. Took it off today and sure enough I have a few small scratches. I want to sell this phone in the future, but not the type that can go without a case ( read: clumsy)

fasnic

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had a TPU case on my Epic Touch for 8 months now, I swap out batteries (I have two spare) every week, and simply clean off the phone, and case when I do. I have no scratches and the thing looks brand new. Just because you have a case on it, doesn't mean you don't have to clean it off... As this shows, dirt still gets in and accumulates in there.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying I don't use any cases at all...I just dont use TPU and seidio, rubber, silicone, etc

What I do use is leather or neoprene pouches instead

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just need a tighter case. I cleaned mine twice a week but dirt gets in quickly and as I said I notice little scratches at the top. I'll do some searching. Didn't have th problem with my last case and phone but the thing was way too bulky.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying I don't use any cases at all...I just dont use TPU and seidio, rubber, silicone, etc

What I do use is leather or neoprene pouches instead

I cant carry my phone in a leather pouch on me at the gym. I definitely need a case! The gym is where most of my old phones have taken the most beatings, lol!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I just need a tighter case. I cleaned mine twice a week but dirt gets in quickly and as I said I notice little scratches at the top. I'll do some searching. Didn't have th problem with my last case and phone but the thing was way too bulky.

Is there a case that can lock dust/dirt out?? Does it exist?!...lol At this point, I suppose I can just take the case off once a week to clean the dust/dirt out but I know myself....I'll get lazy and forget!

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The only case-induced scratches I ever got were on my og EVO 4G, using the Best Buy Seidio two piece case. I switched to TPU for the remainder of the time that I owned it, and used them the entire time that I owned the Epic Touch (which my wife now has, and looks brand new) and now on my S3. Can't see going back to a hard case...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I've been thinking if I use phantom skins full body protector would those tiny nicks still happen with the tpu and seidio cases?

dna.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree about cases introducing the possibility of dust/dirt causing scratches and have had it happen to an iPod Touch before... so for my last phone (Palm Pre) I got an Invisible Shield and it worked well. Also made it easier to grip and less prone to sliding off tables/car dashboard/couch armrest/etc.

I would say for protection and grip as I described, go with the Invisible Shield or other similar product. For shock absorption (does that really even help?) or water protection and the like, go with a well made case.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think more since its the Epic 4G slider that your phone was pushed and pulled more then if you just had the a regular phone. I've had a TPU case and it was tight fitting but it still aloud dust in. The best for me has been hybrids. They have a silicone case and a hard shell that will go over the silicone case which locks in tighter to the phone. Dust does still get in but not much. Best way is to remove what ever case and wipe clean. another solution would be to get a clear full body shield then case it. I am looking into a water proof body wrap and case.

azizur05

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
seidio case

Nobody else is except about using good thing as per this meaning everybody buy something best one. So if you want to take a best thing like phone case just go http://www.cellpower.com/ this link. I think it would better for you.

Last edited:

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I use a OtterBox Defender on my GNex, and I work in a high dust/grit environment. Solution? Out of the case and cleaned a minimum of once a week. Unless your case is physically bonded to your phone, this is a habit you should get into. Of course, a little OCD on my part doesn't hurt, plus the knowledge that I'm protecting my rather expensive communications device.

Moral: Good Habits are Good.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a basic TPU case on my GSII, and yes it has caused some micro scratches on one side of the plastic casing. However, I also dropped my phone out of my SUV door (pretty high up) onto the pavement below where it landed on a corner towards the back. Without the case there's no doubt it would have had a major ding. With the case I picked it up without a scratch.

For me, the drop protection outweighs the minor debris scratches.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol