Thinking of trading in SIII for EVO LTE, Need Advice!

Darthgrady

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
HELP Need advice!

I got my Samsung Galaxy SIII last Thursday, and activated it last Friday. I have been having connectivity issues with this phone that I never had with my previous phone (HTC EVO 3D). With the SIII I can't send text messages while in my office, although I can receive them. They just show as undelivered, and I have to manually resend them later. With the 3D I could easily send/receive in that same room. Also, the SIII seems to roam and miss calls a lot more than my 3D did. I love the SIII as a device, but as a phone I'm pretty dissapointed. I went to the Sprint store today, and the rep changed some settings around for me while I was there, updated the profile and PRL, and restarted, but it did not fix the texting issue.

The Sprint rep says I can return it within 2 weeks of shipping (which was last Wednesday), so I have until next Wednesday to decide if I am going to keep it or switch it out for an EVO LTE. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I have always been a long time HTC fan, I only got the SIII this time because I hate the idea of the EVO's sealed-in battery. But I guess I could deal with it if it functions better as a phone. Anyone dealt with this, or have any ideas?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I would get it switched out first. Sounds like maybe you got a lemon. I don't live in a great signal area, but not having any of those issues.

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Make the switch to the EVO LTE for you will not be disappointed. Better everything period and as multitasking has been an issue for some everything this else is better on the Evolte. As for the radios, HTC has far better radios than those craptastic Samsung radios. Join us and feel free to move about the country.

carlos516x

May 11, 2012
Visit site
It could be a lemon or it could be the phone or even the s4 chipset. You might experience similar problems with the EVO 4G LTE. In my experience, I noticed both the EVO 4G LTE and S3 to be worse reception wise compared to my HTC Arrive. The S3 was slightly better but not by much. I would advise that you return the S3 in store for a full refund and get your upgrade reinstated in store.. Then purchase the Evo 4g LTE and you will have another 14 days to test. but the downside is that you will have to pay the activation fee again.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
HELP Need advice!

I got my Samsung Galaxy SIII last Thursday, and activated it last Friday. I have been having connectivity issues with this phone that I never had with my previous phone (HTC EVO 3D). With the SIII I can't send text messages while in my office, although I can receive them. They just show as undelivered, and I have to manually resend them later. With the 3D I could easily send/receive in that same room. Also, the SIII seems to roam and miss calls a lot more than my 3D did. I love the SIII as a device, but as a phone I'm pretty dissapointed. I went to the Sprint store today, and the rep changed some settings around for me while I was there, updated the profile and PRL, and restarted, but it did not fix the texting issue.

The Sprint rep says I can return it within 2 weeks of shipping (which was last Wednesday), so I have until next Wednesday to decide if I am going to keep it or switch it out for an EVO LTE. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I have always been a long time HTC fan, I only got the SIII this time because I hate the idea of the EVO's sealed-in battery. But I guess I could deal with it if it functions better as a phone. Anyone dealt with this, or have any ideas?

I'm having the same issues. I had a evo lte & didn't have those connectivity problems. I'm past the return date :mad:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
The local sprint store here in Knoxville,TN says they have had 11 of the 20 prordered EVo LTE's returned for software issues. I saw one while i was there that had text running on the side of the home screen. Just letting you know the Evo might not be any better. Just my .02

Software can be fixed. Weak radios cannot be fixed.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

spepi

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I used th EVO 4G LTE for a few weeks, and decided to try the S3, just because I have to find phones for my end users....I have had the S3 for a day now, and I actually like it better than any phone ive had, which includes alot of them...htc hero, Evo 4g, Evo 3d, Evo Shift, Motorola Photon, EVO LTE, and now S3. I am in a trial mode, so I am trying to really beat it up, but at the end of the day, I am not a power talker like my end users, a salesforce of 200. But, with unplugging yesterday at 6am, I finally got the battery to drain totally at 830am today, so not too bad on standby, with some phone usage, Exchange Activesync, facebook, streaming. The building I am in has horrible phone signal, and when talking on the S3 yesterday, I actually had a full conversation without saying, hello? Can you hear me? Which I couldnt do on the EVO 4g LTE, or the Photon. I would trade in while you can, try it, and if you dont like it, go back...

Darthgrady

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So, from the responses it seems like it will be a gamble either way. It certainly doesn't sound like the EVO is bulletproof in the connectivity department, so I could be trading one problematic device for another. But if I don't trade in by Wednesday, the Sammy might never be right.

I will miss the 32GB storage and 2GB RAM on the Sammy (both double what the EVO is packing); but I've always liked Sense and I really like the kickstand. It's a very tough decision. :confused:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you're not happy with the S3 reception now, it's only going to lead to greater frustration down the line as you try to live with it.
You're not going to know unless you give it a try. You need to see which one works better for you, in your everyday environment doing what you normally do with a phone.

Coorsleftfield

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I traded in a evo lte for the gs3 and I like the gs3 better.

Remember when talking about radios you are talking 3g. I'd like to see someone compare the radios on LTE, because that's what will matter soon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
... and when talking on the S3 yesterday, I actually had a full conversation without saying, hello? Can you hear me? Which I couldnt do on the EVO 4g LTE

That's because the EVO 4G LTE has such crystal clear voice reception that when there is a pause in the conversation you don't here any background noise so you *think* it dropped the call. :p

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Software can be fixed. Weak radios cannot be fixed.

Actually some quick edits in the ##data# menu saw my gs3 go from having 2 bars in my house to a steady 4.

bryanw504

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a lemon I would swap it 1st Samsung radios have improved drastically. Had the OG evo and my signal strength is far far better on my gs3 wifi and and plus gps locks veymry fast. Tried the new evo on a friend's phone its ok I love HTC but wanted something different and the multitasking was a deal breaker for me. Plus to me the gs3 feels better in the hands love the white version

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Mkay, so a few idiots carry a thin aluminum phone in their back pockets, sit on them, and wonder why they bend... :rolleyes:
I carry my phone in my front pocket, all day, every day, and I have no problem. I don't wear skinny jeans though ;)

while its true that you should never sit on your phone, it does show the limitations of having an aluminum made device. My wife's OG droid back cover was made of metal, and it got so bent out of shape, it will not even go back on perfectly.

I really have no idea why do people think phones being made out of more maliable materials with less elasticity is more ideal and more premium and better build quality vs a light weight phone that is practically indestructible, but gets light scratches easily.

I would rather have a ton of tiny scratches on a $5 back plastic cover that is easily replacable than a bent/dented metal phone from a hard drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12