Galaxy S III flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other problems

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S III flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other prob

Your sex aside, which i did edit in before your response, is irrelevant .

The point i was making stands...Manning or womaninnng up simply means being an adult and not over blowing minor , petty grievances that anyone with some common sense can clearly see.

The pentile screen that you can see its "granularity" is of the minority. The general consensus is its a beautiful hd screen with black blacks and vivid colors.

To me its silly telling you this , its just stuff you could have taken the time out to see for yourself had you been willing to invest a little time into it.

But to post on a message board , making clear cut excuses and saying how certain functions don't work when everyone else has it functioning proplerly with a certain attitude and welp , you get bad replies.

I for one wasn't down on you , just curious how you could be so full of complaints when the phone just came out lol. What you do is your choice but I will warn you , the evo has its own problems with its most damning is its aggressive memory management.

With you being somewhat particular , i have a feeling you won't like that AT ALL.

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Your sex aside, which i did edit in before your response, is irrelevant .

The point i was making stands...Manning or womaninnng up simply means being an adult and not over blowing minor , petty grievances that anyone with some common sense can clearly see.

The pentile screen that you can see its "granularity" is of the minority. The general consensus is its a beautiful hd screen with black blacks and vivid colors.

To me its silly telling you this , its just stuff you could have taken the time out to see for yourself had you been willing to invest a little time into it.

But to post on a message board , making clear cut excuses and saying how certain functions don't work when everyone else has it functioning proplerly with a certain attitude and welp , you get bad replies.

I for one wasn't down on you , just curious how you could be so full of complaints when the phone just came out lol. What you do is your choice but I will warn you , the evo has its own problems with its most damning is its aggressive memory management.

With you being somewhat particular , i have a feeling you won't like that AT ALL.

Which is why I stated for her to get an HTC phone and call it the day. It seems like she really miss it and have buyers remorse.

I had sense for the past 2 years and wanted something different, which is why I got the GS3, I'm very happy knowing what I got myself into.

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy

chaunsey

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

you can probably thank apple for the flashlight app being called an assistive light app, it was probably to avoid another suit, as for the size of it, its not that big at all, and takes up a minuscule amount of your available 7 screens of space.

or you can just leave it off and take the 1/2 second more to open it from the apps menu.

USB has run perfectly for me.

and you can also use kies or allshare to share files between your PC and phone both work fast and flawlessly for me.

Rwagner34

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site

Having come from Sense, I could no longer take Sense crashing every time I used the internet or any other app. I was at the point of almost throwing the phone into a wood chipper!!!!

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

First, some thank yous:

Seven_Speed, thank you -- you saved me on the capacitive buttons problem. :)

Charlie Hustle, you might be right. You're about the only person who has validated my dissatisfaction with Samsung and TouchWiz, so I thank you for that. I'm strongly considering it. I've also thought about seeing if it's possible to install Sense on my Samsung, so that I have the best of both worlds with storage and UI.

Chaunsey, good point about Apple and the assistive light name, but it is still kind of big for my needs. I am the night owl in my family, and I use flashlight every single night to avoid waking others, so I keep it on my home screen for easy access. That, plus my calendar preview, plus my weather app, plus my e-mail apps ... things that require quick access ... the default takes up one pixel too many. I capitulated and installed TeslaLED to solve the problem.

Issues:

Jacker, I just think we're coming from very different perspectives on this. Human factors are quite important in hardware and software design. My husband is a UI professional; my brother-in-law is, too. My mother suffered carpal tunnel, and I had temporary ulnar nerve damage from sitting eight hours a day in a chair at work that wasn't designed for use with computers because that's all there was. I can't change the size of my hand. Sorry 'bout that, but I can't. And it doesn't have to do with "womaning up," either -- many women have larger hands than I do, and would handle this phone fine. It's simply a physical limitation that I don't think anyone can do anything about other than me getting a smaller device ... but that's not a good option, because I want a top-of-the-line smartphone. It would help me if manufacturers stopped with the trend toward ever-increasing screen sizes -- for me, they've passed the practical width limit -- but it appears I'm in the minority. So, I accept that it's my problem, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe it means I have to decide how best to live with it, but that's not a clear choice, either. I utterly refuse to get an iPhone. It just kind of sucks.

You were right about one thing, though: I am particular.

The big update: I went back to Sprint and got a new USB cable. Still no joy.

When I first connected with the new cable, I got nothing, so I uninstalled the drivers I had manually installed, rebooted the PC, then reconnected the phone. I got this:

DriverInstallation.jpg

Based on a thread I saw elsewhere, I manually downloaded the drivers from Samsung's site, and installed them. I'm still getting the exact same error message I got with the other Galaxy III USB cable when I try to copy a file from my PC to my phone:

CannotCopy.jpg

But again, it works fine with my husband's USB cable for his Galaxy S II. It just doesn't make any sense. I have no idea what's not working, or why. I haven't customized Windows 7 in any way.

Also, the screen fades when I go to my browser. I've tried adjusting the screen brightness; I've tried turning off the power saving option that fades the screen if there's an image on it ... no joy. As it turns out, after talking to a Sprint representative, this is a known issue that they are fixing in about two days.

I just don't know whether to go back and swap for the HTC or ask them to sell me a Galaxy S II cable or ... what to do. I'm really frustrated by this, and have a lot of other stressors going on in my life right now personally -- I don't need to be fighting with my smartphone. :(

Last edited:

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

fully UN-INSTALL the drivers by connecting your phone to your pc, go into device manager, select the phone in device manager, and remove it by right clicking it and doing uninstall. Via Control panel also verify you DO NOT SEE a Samsung USB driver entry, if you do, UN-install, then reboot your pc and download the drivers again from here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...nt_L710_GSIII_Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe

re-install the drivers. take your cable that you state works every time, connect your phone to your pc, go into device manger and make sure you see SPH-L710, transfer data. disconnect, swap cables with the ones you state give you issues, connect, transfer data, if you still have issues with that cable you state gives you problems, then you just have bad luck and have a bad cable(s). that's not the phone's fault, just happens... All of us have had that, as USB cables can be flaky. Stick to one that works, give the other to your husband.

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

First, again, I'd like to say thank you to those who have contributed suggestions in this thread -- I apologize if my frustration has seeped through here and there. I've now given over 24 hours of awake time to this problem, lost a whole day of my weekend to it, and I'm pretty over it. I am about to go out of town next week to care for a family member during chemotherapy. I do not need the stress of my phone not working on top of that. :/

r3ddawn, I followed your instructions. I got all excited when I saw this:

AfterInstallingDriversManuallyThenConnectingWorkingCable.jpg

Notice the new line about ADB at the bottom? That's never been there before. I was hopeful it would work.

Well, again, it worked with hubby's Galaxy S II cable, but not with the new Galaxy S III USB cable I received from the Sprint store. Keep in mind, we're now on the second cable, so it seems unlikely l'd get two flaky ones in a row.

Thank you for trying, but other than that additional ADB element, I'm still where I was before. :(

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm sorry to hear about you and your mother and even though I've never heard of ulnar nerve damage till now (nerve that travels from the hand to the shoulder) I do recognize how important ergonomics is.

With that said I have traveled many forums in search of maybe an answer to your usb/driver problem but without success. All came back to the same suggestions you were offered here. While many women would kill to be petite I guess it's not all its crackled up to be, right? ;)

Oh I was serious about the evo lte and it's version of multi tasking. I would suggest the local Sprint store or YouTube for reference material.

And I know about losing sleep to a tech device that is supposed to make your life simpler and instead robs you of any and all inner peace. And best wishes to the relative.

Sent from my GS3 which you can't have no matter how nice you ask

Reactions: fullofsecrets

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

First, again, I'd like to say thank you to those who have contributed suggestions in this thread -- I apologize if my frustration has seeped through here and there. I've now given over 24 hours of awake time to this problem, lost a whole day of my weekend to it, and I'm pretty over it. I am about to go out of town next week to care for a family member during chemotherapy. I do not need the stress of my phone not working on top of that. :/

r3ddawn, I followed your instructions. I got all excited when I saw this:

Click to view quoted image

Notice the new line about ADB at the bottom? That's never been there before. I was hopeful it would work.

Well, again, it worked with hubby's Galaxy S II cable, but not with the new Galaxy S III USB cable I received from the Sprint store. Keep in mind, we're now on the second cable, so it seems unlikely l'd get two flaky ones in a row.

Thank you for trying, but other than that additional ADB element, I'm still where I was before. :(

YW.... you didn't have the drivers properly installed at first, as in one of the pictures you posted showed, which is why I recommended to fully uninstall and re-install... So you now know that part is fine. As to the cables, trust me from experience, it can be that you have 2 cables that simply are going to cause you problems. I can't get technical about it, but somehow, some reason, these usb cables are created cheap, and at times, cause issues. It's not the phone, not the connector on the phone since you have stated not have ANY issues with the working cable, so my advice, you found a good working cable, stick with that, and give the other to your husband, see if he has any issues with it, and if not, your set.

You could also move away from using the cables on your computer, to using a Wifi app to move your content. The S3 comes with one already built in, or you could use the popular Air Droid, which I think if you try, you'd probably like. It's easy to setup and you can transfer files back and forth with little to no issues... I personally don't ever use a usb cable to my pc unless moving a super large file. Other then that, using WIFI apps will suit you better IMHO... ;-)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, USB cables can be a pain. Right now, I'm dealing with my USB 3.0 hub cutting in and out shutting everything off then it comes right back on making it for a real bad experience.....and this is a samsung series 7 laptop!! lol

Besides, plugging in my GSIII in a USB 3.0 port does. not. work. It refuses. But as soon as I plug it in a USB 2.0 port, it works like a charm.

Wifi is the only way to go transferring small files. I swear by this.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Also, the screen fades when I go to my browser. I've tried adjusting the screen brightness; I've tried turning off the power saving option that fades the screen if there's an image on it ... no joy. As it turns out, after talking to a Sprint representative, this is a known issue that they are fixing in about two days.

The screen fades because it has it's own brightness setting. Go into your browser settings and turn off auto brightness.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S III is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
  2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
  3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
  4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
  5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.

But I could cope with all of the above. No, the real problem is that it won't stay connected to my PC via USB! That's a deal-breaker. What's the point of having 32 GB of space if I can't transfer data?

I was up until 5 am last night trying to get this to work, and no joy. I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

I plugged the phone in, and first, it couldn't install the drivers. Fine, I downloaded them manually. After some trial and error and a reboot, it recognizes the phone when it's connected ... briefly. After a few seconds, the connection flakes out, and I can't transfer any files. Any files that were already in process give an error message that says: "Cannot copy (whatever file was being transferred). The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying/skip this file."

I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine, and I've noticed that it stops responding when the phone screen turns off after it's been connected initially and identifies the USB connection. It's like the driver isn't feeding the information to keep the connection active or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I hate that I've invested nearly $80 in cases/covers/screen protectors at this point, but even so, I am considering cutting my losses and trading it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thoughts? Any help is truly welcomed.

Many thanks!

(This is the fourth cell phone I've had in my life. I've never had a problem like this until now. I loved my original Evo 4G.)

FYI the Evo has adopted the cutesy bubbles in messaging also. Only difference being you don't have color options. Just white.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S III is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
  2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
  3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
  4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
  5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.

But I could cope with all of the above. No, the real problem is that it won't stay connected to my PC via USB! That's a deal-breaker. What's the point of having 32 GB of space if I can't transfer data?

I was up until 5 am last night trying to get this to work, and no joy. I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

I plugged the phone in, and first, it couldn't install the drivers. Fine, I downloaded them manually. After some trial and error and a reboot, it recognizes the phone when it's connected ... briefly. After a few seconds, the connection flakes out, and I can't transfer any files. Any files that were already in process give an error message that says: "Cannot copy (whatever file was being transferred). The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying/skip this file."

I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine, and I've noticed that it stops responding when the phone screen turns off after it's been connected initially and identifies the USB connection. It's like the driver isn't feeding the information to keep the connection active or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I hate that I've invested nearly $80 in cases/covers/screen protectors at this point, but even so, I am considering cutting my losses and trading it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thoughts? Any help is truly welcomed.

Many thanks!

(This is the fourth cell phone I've had in my life. I've never had a problem like this until now. I loved my original Evo 4G.)

By the way, the Evo is as tall as the S3. We have both in my house. Same physical specs. Side by side the S3 looks wider due to the slightly wider screen and white color. White makes items look larger. It looks taller due to the more rounded corners. But held back to back, they're the same height.
You might wanna go to the Sprint store and spend some quality time with the Evo Lte. Make some comparisons. Ask the rep to let you hold devices that are not on display. They have working devices in the back room.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Everyone has their favorite device. Some vigorously defend them in these threads. Most of the time it's spirited fun for the folks whose self worth is NOT predicated on the value of their mobile devices. But those types post too.
You have to make sure you find the device that's YOUR type and fits your lifestyle and criteria. It should be a fun process. Remember, you're not adopting a new born baby, so relax and have fun with it.

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

And I know about losing sleep to a tech device that is supposed to make your life simpler and instead robs you of any and all inner peace. And best wishes to the relative.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really mean that -- I am grateful for the understanding, and it's surprising how much difference a soft word from a stranger can make. Thanks sincerely, Jacker.

For those reading, I know everyone has problems, and I'm surely not trying to overshare on an Android forum ... it just seems wrong somehow in the grand scheme of things that I should be expending all this energy right now trying to solve a technical problem when I need to be giving that energy to supporting my mom, who has a tough time ahead of her. Such is life, I suppose.

As to the cables, trust me from experience, it can be that you have 2 cables that simply are going to cause you problems. I can't get technical about it, but somehow, some reason, these usb cables are created cheap, and at times, cause issues.

I'm beginning to think it really isn't the cables. I tried it with a different USB cable, one I know to be reliable with multiple devices, and it didn't work. Additionally, I tried connecting the phone to my Windows XP laptop: totally fresh install, fresh cable, etc. It didn't work. It could possibly be something with the MTP drivers, given an issue that international Samsung users have seen.

You could also move away from using the cables on your computer, to using a Wifi app to move your content. The S3 comes with one already built in, or you could use the popular Air Droid, which I think if you try, you'd probably like. It's easy to setup and you can transfer files back and forth with little to no issues... I personally don't ever use a usb cable to my pc unless moving a super large file. Other then that, using WIFI apps will suit you better IMHO... ;-)

Unfortunately, when I go to take care of my mother in two weeks, I will not have proper wifi access. I'll be very dependent on transferring data via cable, so I need it to work. :/

Besides, plugging in my GSIII in a USB 3.0 port does. not. work. It refuses. But as soon as I plug it in a USB 2.0 port, it works like a charm.

Wifi is the only way to go transferring small files. I swear by this.

That's interesting about the 3.0 port, but I just had failures with a 2.0 port, too, so ... I'm not sure. I hear you about the wifi, but unfortunately I will be in a place without wifi in about two weeks, caring for my mother for the next few months, so I really need that cable working.

The screen fades because it has it's own brightness setting. Go into your browser settings and turn off auto brightness.

Can you tell me how to do this in the default browser on the Galaxy S III? Because in the store yesterday, neither I nor the Sprint representative could find such a setting.

When I launch the app and press the capacitive button that launches the menu, it displays the following options:

Forward
New window
Add bookmark
Add shortcut to home
Share page
Find on page
Desktop view
Save for offline reading.

No "Settings" option there, as you can see.

If I select the Bookmarks option at the top right of the default browser and press the capacitive button for the menu, it displays the following options:

Thumbnail view
Create folder
Change order
Move to folder
Delete

If I press the button at the top right of the default browser that displays multiple browser windows, the only option I get when I press the Menu capacitive button is Close All.

I've also been in the Settings under Application manager, and examined the browser there, but only have options to Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force stop, or Disable.

So, I'd be delighted to do as you recommend, but after digging, I clearly can't find it on my own. Neither could the Sprint rep (who told me it was a known issue that was going to be fixed in a few days). Can you advise me on how to find this function?

FYI the Evo has adopted the cutesy bubbles in messaging also. Only difference being you don't have color options. Just white.

Yeah, I noticed that when I checked it out yesterday. :/

By the way, the Evo is as tall as the S3. We have both in my house. Same physical specs. Side by side the S3 looks wider due to the slightly wider screen and white color. White makes items look larger. It looks taller due to the more rounded corners. But held back to back, they're the same height.
You might wanna go to the Sprint store and spend some quality time with the Evo Lte. Make some comparisons. Ask the rep to let you hold devices that are not on display. They have working devices in the back room.

I held my Samsung over the Evo yesterday, and saw that they were the same height. The S3 is marginally wider, but it's less than a millimeter, so no big difference in comfort there, I don't think. The main physical improvement would be the button placement with my accursed left-handedness. :)

What I'd really like to do is bring the Evo home and see if it'd connect successfully to my PC via cable, but of course they're not going to let me do that! I wish I knew someone who owned one, but I'm the most techie of my friends ... I'm the one to whom others turn to fix their PC problems, generally. I worked in computer tech support for three years. That's part of why I'm so frustrated with this issue ... I feel like I've done all this troubleshooting and like I ought to be smart enough to solve it. But if it's dirty Samsung drivers, there's nothing I can do about that. :/

You have to make sure you find the device that's YOUR type and fits your lifestyle and criteria. It should be a fun process. Remember, you're not adopting a new born baby, so relax and have fun with it.

This is one of the happiest things I've read in this whole thread. Thanks, Nreeldeep -- you make a good point. Wise perspective, and I agree with you. :) I know it isn't a baby, or brain surgery ... it's just sort of sapping my energy right now when I really need to be focusing it on preparing to care for my mom, but I need my phone to work. That little 3G connection via my phone is my lifeline in a broadband-poor area.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really mean that -- I am grateful for the understanding, and it's surprising how much difference a soft word from a stranger can make. Thanks sincerely, Jacker.

For those reading, I know everyone has problems, and I'm surely not trying to overshare on an Android forum ... it just seems wrong somehow in the grand scheme of things that I should be expending all this energy right now trying to solve a technical problem when I need to be giving that energy to supporting my mom, who has a tough time ahead of her. Such is life, I suppose.

I'm beginning to think it really isn't the cables. I tried it with a different USB cable, one I know to be reliable with multiple devices, and it didn't work. Additionally, I tried connecting the phone to my Windows XP laptop: totally fresh install, fresh cable, etc. It didn't work. It could possibly be something with the MTP drivers, given an issue that international Samsung users have seen.

Unfortunately, when I go to take care of my mother in two weeks, I will not have proper wifi access. I'll be very dependent on transferring data via cable, so I need it to work. :/

That's interesting about the 3.0 port, but I just had failures with a 2.0 port, too, so ... I'm not sure. I hear you about the wifi, but unfortunately I will be in a place without wifi in about two weeks, caring for my mother for the next few months, so I really need that cable working.

Can you tell me how to do this in the default browser on the Galaxy S III? Because in the store yesterday, neither I nor the Sprint representative could find such a setting.

When I launch the app and press the capacitive button that launches the menu, it displays the following options:

Forward
New window
Add bookmark
Add shortcut to home
Share page
Find on page
Desktop view
Save for offline reading.

No "Settings" option there, as you can see.

If I select the Bookmarks option at the top right of the default browser and press the capacitive button for the menu, it displays the following options:

Thumbnail view
Create folder
Change order
Move to folder
Delete

If I press the button at the top right of the default browser that displays multiple browser windows, the only option I get when I press the Menu capacitive button is Close All.

I've also been in the Settings under Application manager, and examined the browser there, but only have options to Clear Cache, Clear Data, Force stop, or Disable.

So, I'd be delighted to do as you recommend, but after digging, I clearly can't find it on my own. Neither could the Sprint rep (who told me it was a known issue that was going to be fixed in a few days). Can you advise me on how to find this function?

Yeah, I noticed that when I checked it out yesterday. :/

I held my Samsung over the Evo yesterday, and saw that they were the same height. The S3 is marginally wider, but it's less than a millimeter, so no big difference in comfort there, I don't think. The main physical improvement would be the button placement with my accursed left-handedness. :)

What I'd really like to do is bring the Evo home and see if it'd connect successfully to my PC via cable, but of course they're not going to let me do that! I wish I knew someone who owned one, but I'm the most techie of my friends ... I'm the one to whom others turn to fix their PC problems, generally. I worked in computer tech support for three years. That's part of why I'm so frustrated with this issue ... I feel like I've done all this troubleshooting and like I ought to be smart enough to solve it. But if it's dirty Samsung drivers, there's nothing I can do about that. :/

This is one of the happiest things I've read in this whole thread. Thanks, Nreeldeep -- you make a good point. Wise perspective, and I agree with you. :) I know it isn't a baby, or brain surgery ... it's just sort of sapping my energy right now when I really need to be focusing it on preparing to care for my mom, but I need my phone to work. That little 3G connection via my phone is my lifeline in a broadband-poor area.

Absolutely its an important investment. Just don't beat yourself up over it. Buy the Evo. Keep the receipt safely tucked away and take it home for tests with your PC.
Remember, your mom needs your best self. So get the right mobile for you then go give her the best that you got.

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

So, I went to Sprint on Sunday, July 15th, and demonstrated the problems we were having. A clean driver install resolved the issues on an XP laptop, so I said I'd go home and try another clean driver install. In addition, the Sprint tech suggested installing Kies, not so much for transferring files, but for the drivers.

I did all of the above, and still no joy, so I returned to my local Sprint store on Monday.

They were completely awesome (everyone was really very kind), restocked the Samsung at no charge, and I traded it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE which, I am tremendously relieved to say, has given me no problems at all. Drivers installed fine first try on both XP and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was a difficult choice because I hate admitting defeat due to a technical issue ... usually, with patience and determination, I'm able to resolve those ... but it was the right decision. I'm much happier overall.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help troubleshoot this!

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

The browser and video apps have their own brightness settings.

Edit: bah, never mind. This page of comments wasn't opening for some reason....

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So, I went to Sprint on Sunday, July 15th, and demonstrated the problems we were having. A clean driver install resolved the issues on an XP laptop, so I said I'd go home and try another clean driver install. In addition, the Sprint tech suggested installing Kies, not so much for transferring files, but for the drivers.

I did all of the above, and still no joy, so I returned to my local Sprint store on Monday.

They were completely awesome (everyone was really very kind), restocked the Samsung at no charge, and I traded it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE which, I am tremendously relieved to say, has given me no problems at all. Drivers installed fine first try on both XP and Windows 7 Home Premium.

It was a difficult choice because I hate admitting defeat due to a technical issue ... usually, with patience and determination, I'm able to resolve those ... but it was the right decision. I'm much happier overall.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help troubleshoot this!

You double posted because it was done with an evo. :D

Good luck with your phone.