WiFi turns off and back on by itself, am I the only one?

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have looked around on this forum and done some searching elsewhere. I don't see many complaints about it. If I go into the dialer and *#0011# and turn off the power save mode for WiFi then it stops doing it, but if not then it randomly and frequently throughout the day will turn the WiFi off and then right back on. It will do it while trying to use data, it will do it while sitting the idle. It doesn't seem to matter.

The most frustrating part is that this setting will toggle back to on (by itself) and start the madness all over again if I power the phone off and on again.

I can't figure why the second symptom would be related but if I have this WiFi power saving setting in the default ON position then I also get a situation where about every third or fourth time the screen comes on (doesn't matter if it is the power button to wake it or proximity sensor during a call) the touch input won't work for 3 to maybe 8 seconds. This is often enough time to miss a call beeping in on call waiting because the phone won't register touch input for my to answer even though the screen is on.

If I make sure to turn off the WiFi power saving setting through the dialer then both of these issues seem to go away completely.

Am I the only one with these issues?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
instead of using the dialer code use the menu.

Menu settings/under wireless and network settings choose more settings / mobile network / automatic connections / uncheck Sprint automatic connections

Leave the power saving mode in the dialer menu alone. This is the way it's supposed to work. Since WiFi uses less power it automatically looks for WiFi. Go into the menu and turn off Sprint automatic connections and leave the dialer setting alone. It will no longer try to find WiFi.

skunk%20Banner100pix

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

bryanw504

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of that problem there is also a power saving mode toggle switch when you press the menu button from the home screen.
48979d9a-6bc4-8e7e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have that one turned off as well :)
Both settings mentioned were off before going into the dialer and turning the WiFi power saving setting off. I am curious to see if it is ON or OFF in other peoples phones now.

kpurcell

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue. Every couple of minutes the phone just drops the WiFi signal and then almost instantly reconnects. At first I quite using the AN radio on my router only using the BGN and that seemed to fix it. But now its happening on the BGN network. After reading this thread I tried to engage the Power Saving mode from the Notfication center because it was always off. Since turning it on I've not had a problem with dropping WiFi. Its got me confused.

Reactions: fivegear

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issue. Every couple of minutes the phone just drops the WiFi signal and then almost instantly reconnects. At first I quite using the AN radio on my router only using the BGN and that seemed to fix it. But now its happening on the BGN network. After reading this thread I tried to engage the Power Saving mode from the Notfication center because it was always off. Since turning it on I've not had a problem with dropping WiFi. Its got me confused.

this is a different issue all together. His phone turns WiFi on when he wants it off.

skunk%20Banner100pix

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply but that isn't the same setting. This is a power saving setting only.

So what is this setting supposed to do? When i enable the power saving mode it disconnects and reconnects but none of the settings change in the dialer menu at all. You have obvious used this before. I never before bothered looking at these. I'm not trying to be an jerk, I am trying to learn here. Cause I don't understand what it is your trying to do or why. I mean how does it save power?

skunk%20Banner100pix

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I made this very same topic, so if you searched properly, you would have seen it.

And if you read the thread you'll notice this isn't the same issue so please keep the poor attitudes like that on the less friendlier forum.

Edit#2. Thanks :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mc_gusto

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this happens to me. almost everytime the screen goes to sleep for a couple of minutes it disconnects wifi. I wake the phone and its on 3g. When I unlock it connects to wifi. Is this similaar? the sprint smart connections thing or something different?

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
To add insult to injury my phone added the "sleep of death" to my day yesterday. That makes the 4th time it has performed that neat trick (sarcasm). So that was the last straw, I filed a warranty claim on it! Please note that I spent time on the phone with both Samsung and Sprint (including more than one hard reset) trouble shooting this phone to attempt to resolve the issues before proceeding with a claim.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious too. If i'm using my phone, I'll repeatedly see a message appear that reads something like "connecting to xxxx wifi." I've unchecked the sprint automatic connections feature because I saw that on some other forum, and that worked for a while, but it started up again last night. I went through to make sure that the sprint auto connect hadn't somehow been re-activated; it hadn't. So, I don't know what's going on. The connection remains fine, meaning I can still use my phone as normal; it's just annoying that the message repeatedly pops up at the bottom of the screen, which is indicative that something isn't functioning quite right.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
MIne does same thing. Turn off wifi and then in a few minutes wake up phone and it is connected to wifi again. Very annoying

I think what you are experiencing is Sprint's automatic connections. This is different from that. This is a random powering off and then immediately back on of WiFi.

furnace

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I think what you are experiencing is Sprint's automatic connections. This is different from that. This is a random powering off and then immediately back on of WiFi.

Fivegear,

Thanks for starting this thread. My S3 WiFi (on Sprint) is also constantly turning itself on. I think you've solved this issue in your first post though. I entered the code you mentioned and got to that WiFi menu. I saw that the "WiFi power save mode" is checked on by default.

I think this is what is turning the WiFi back on randomly. It makes sense: I've read in many forums that the WiFi radio uses less power than 3G or 4G. Therefore, it makes sense that if "WiFi power save mode" is on, then the phone will always periodically look to connect to a WiFi network in order to save power. It stands to reason that if you turn OFF this feature, then it won't be trying to save power by finding a WiFi network to connect to on an ongoing basis.

I will report back and let you everyone know how it goes...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Fivegear,

Thanks for starting this thread. My S3 WiFi (on Sprint) is also constantly turning itself on. I think you've solved this issue in your first post though. I entered the code you mentioned and got to that WiFi menu. I saw that the "WiFi power save mode" is checked on by default.

I think this is what is turning the WiFi back on randomly. It makes sense: I've read in many forums that the WiFi radio uses less power than 3G or 4G. Therefore, it makes sense that if "WiFi power save mode" is on, then the phone will always periodically look to connect to a WiFi network in order to save power. It stands to reason that if you turn OFF this feature, then it won't be trying to save power by finding a WiFi network to connect to on an ongoing basis.

I will report back and let you everyone know how it goes...

Yes this is good in theory but in actuality not so good. As the majority of places have their wifi password protected, it will be rare to find an open signal. So unless you are in an area that has wifi you can connect, to it is wasting battery by continually searching for what it will rarely find.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar