Manual update from LG2 - LG8

dchamero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Well.. if you are stock BUT rooted, you don't need to change the recovery to flash the update, just reboot to CWM, flash from there, and BEFORE rebooting, re-flash the latest "root from recovery" file, and it works fine (and you won't loose CWM).

The only modification I had from stock was the google search (I had replaced the apk on /system with the one previous to the update, the one with universal search) and after applying this new LF8 update, I still have universal search available, so it did not mess with that...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: JS_racer

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Might seem stupid, but can you go more in detail on those who are already rooted, but with the latest update (before the new one a few days ago)? I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

dchamero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Might seem stupid, but can you go more in detail on those who are already rooted, but with the latest update (before the new one a few days ago)? I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Basically, IF you are rooted BUT you are mostly stock (meaning, you are rooted but you have not loaded a new rom, OR you have not deleted system files, etc), you can copy the update to the root of your sdcard (either internal or actual sd card), and also the latest root (look for a file called TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5, I tried to upload both but it is not letting me)

Then reboot into CWM recovery, from there, flash the Update first, and then WITHOUT REBOOTING, flash the root file, then reboot, and that's it...

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Another problem lol, I tried going into recovery, but it's loading the android recovery instead of the clockwork mod recovery. I'm already rooted and everything works. Do I have to use odin again? How do I make the clockwork mod recovery stick?

dchamero

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Another problem lol, I tried going into recovery, but it's loading the android recovery instead of the clockwork mod recovery. I'm already rooted and everything works. Do I have to use odin again? How do I make the clockwork mod recovery stick?

Yes, it looks like you flashed an update without reloading the root.

If you lost cwm recovery, you have to use Odin and reload it from there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

You don't need to flash it with desktop odin. If you use mobile odin you won't add to your flash counts. Instructions file and links below.

Download all the files to your phone and place the CWM on your sd card. No need for your desktop. Make sure you re-enable root first.

1. Place Team Epic Root From Recovery To your external sd.
2. Click on Mobile Odin Lite and choose install (Do not open yet)
3. Click on Mobile Odin Flash APK and choose install
4. Open Mobile Odin Lite and allow root access.
6. click on recovery option and choose external or internal sd (Where did you put your recovery file.)
6. Choose your recovery.
7. Scroll down to flash firmware and select. You will get a warning so press continue.
Your device will now boot into recovery.
8. While in recovery flash Team Epic Root From Recovery

Download CWM
Team Epic Root From Recovery

Last edited:

droid976

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OMFG! Ive rooted and Flashed now I gotta unroot to do all updates? why cant this be simple.... or am I missing something here....I am new to android from IOS so far this is becoming a PITA!

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OMFG! Ive rooted and Flashed now I gotta unroot to do all updates? why cant this be simple.... or am I missing something here....I am new to android from IOS so far this is becoming a PITA!

is alot easier than jailbreaking, backing up, restoring allllll via itunes.

droid976

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
is alot easier than jailbreaking, backing up, restoring allllll via itunes.

actually i didnt have that much of a problem with that....here ypu gotta get an app for everything you do then you gotta figure out that app and if your lucky you MIGHT get your backup back after you do something......I was never much on the software side of doing things.....I'm more of a hardware geek....and design working in cad and catia.......not dealing with code and stuff......

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out. I reflashed CWM via desktop Odin, and was able to enter recovery to flash the update, and then after that (without rebooting the device), flashed the TeamEpic file, and I retained root after updating, so all is well! Thanks everyone!

pjg5571

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

Maybe somebody in this forum can help me out. I currently have:
baseband Ver. L710vplg2
build number IMM76D.L710vpalg2
hardware version L710.14

I have followed the steps outlined above to update to LG8 to no avail. I have odin lite and the apk file to flash for L710. CWM and recovery already installed from earlier root

1) I opened and installed the MobileODIN_FlashKernal_710-v2-3.0.apk
2) Opened mobil odin lite
3) Selected Recovery in odin lite (Internal SD-Card for me "GS3Root folder", from previous Root) CWM-Recovery-LTE-sgs3-v5.tar.md5
4) Selected Flash Firmware within Odin Lite
5) sg3 reboots to CWM
6) I select TeamEpic rootfromrecovery-v5.zip
7) I select reboot system now

Phone reboots but still lg2

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Patrick

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

Maybe somebody in this forum can help me out. I currently have:
baseband Ver. L710vplg2
build number IMM76D.L710vpalg2
hardware version L710.14

I have followed the steps outlined above to update to LG8 to no avail. I have odin lite and the apk file to flash for L710. CWM and recovery already installed from earlier root

1) I opened and installed the MobileODIN_FlashKernal_710-v2-3.0.apk
2) Opened mobil odin lite
3) Selected Recovery in odin lite (Internal SD-Card for me "GS3Root folder", from previous Root) CWM-Recovery-LTE-sgs3-v5.tar.md5
4) Selected Flash Firmware within Odin Lite
5) sg3 reboots to CWM
6) I select TeamEpic rootfromrecovery-v5.zip
7) I select reboot system now

Phone reboots but still lg2

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Patrick

Ok Patrick, the instruction you listed is not for updating your phone. The instructions you listed is to reload the recovey if you lost it.

If you are rooted and have a custom recovery. The easiest way to update to lg8 is by flashing the stock rom with the update already applied. You can download it to your external sdcard and flash the zip in cwm. Again... This link is the stock lg8. When you flash it, do not do a factory reset or wipe data. Just wipe cache and dalvik and you shouldn't lose anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3gg31hg26ssq15d/LG8-update- FULL-Odex.zip

After your flash the rom and it restarts your firmware will be lg8. Now to update your baseband (radio). Download and flash the modem installer in cwm. It will ask you to choose which modem you want. Choose the lg8 and install.

Here is the modem installer.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1rtg3u68bokrs8c/ModemFlasher-FreeGS3v1.0.0.zip

Last edited:

pjg5571

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Skunkape60,

Thank you for your reply and instructions for what to do, I'm in the process of downloading the files. Will confirm after successful install.

Patrick