Battery Life Tips & Tricks

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I would like to start by saying that 6% in 45 minutes is not bad, because its the amoled screen thats sucking the battery anyways, regardless if you are texting or not. Also, the fact that cell standby is so high means that you get bad cell reception wherever you are. Bad cell reception = bad battery life. You could try going to a different radio (LG8 maybe). And I have no idea what mapservicesamsung is lmao.

That's approximately 15 hours of texting on one charge. Not too shabby, actually.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes me too. But like I said, it reappears seconds later. And sorry, not rooted.

I've noticed a lot of things running in the background of the o s as well but much of it does not affect battery life until it's actually called by an application. It's just hanging out in the fat ram chip that Samsung gave us, waiting to strike when called. I wouldn't kill or disable too many things as they could prove useful when you need them.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of things running in the background of the o s as well but much of it does not affect battery life until it's actually called by an application. It's just hanging out in the fat ram chip that Samsung gave us, waiting to strike when called. I wouldn't kill or disable too many things as they could prove useful when you need them.

So how do I improve my battery life??!! -___-

My battery has NEVER lasted me more than 1/2 a day worth (usually around 12 hrs is when it gets to 5% and I have to charge it).

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

My battery has NEVER lasted me more than 1/2 a day worth (usually around 12 hrs is when it gets to 5% and I have to charge it).

Next chance you get, when your battery is really low, go to Settings --> Battery. Click on "screen on" and see how long your screen has been on overall. If you have your screen on for like 4-5 hours (Jesus Christ), then that's surely why your battery life blows. Also, make sure you're using WiFi over 3g as much as possible. Along with bad reception, if you're not suffering from any of these issues, then maybe its just a bad battery? It's unlikely but there's always that one guy I guess.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Next chance you get, when your battery is really low, go to Settings --> Battery. Click on "screen on" and see how long your screen has been on overall. If you have your screen on for like 4-5 hours (Jesus Christ), then that's surely why your battery life blows. Also, make sure you're using WiFi over 3g as much as possible. Along with bad reception, if you're not suffering from any of these issues, then maybe its just a bad battery? It's unlikely but there's always that one guy I guess.

Just charged it to 100% an hour ago.... so I will let you know how it goes.

jg16

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm at 81% after unplugging about 9 hours ago. I've listened to music on my commute, snapped a few photos, and browsed FB during my lunch break.

Coming from the Epic 4G, this battery life feels INCREDIBLE.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Finally more people are starting to see what I have been whining like a middle school child about.

Me and my family are not going crazy, the battery is draining super fast now.

This sucks, but at least if more people see it, they will fix it.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 81% after unplugging about 9 hours ago. I've listened to music on my commute, snapped a few photos, and browsed FB during my lunch break.

Coming from the Epic 4G, this battery life feels INCREDIBLE.

What the hell are your settings?!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
OK so here's today's battery life.

13 Hrs (It is at 12 1/2 hrs and on 10% I'm not gonna be using it much so it should last till 2)

32% Screen (3 HR time on)
20% Cell Standy (Time without signal= 12%)
13% Android System
11% Handcent
8% Android OS
6% Media Server (wtf is this...??)
5% Voice Calls
3% Device Idle (9hrs 55 min)

Metroid64

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
People like me having the real battery problems shouldn't have to turn off all the syncs, disable all the stock apps, lower screen brightness, turn off 4g, change wifi during sleep, get rid of all the widgets, disable GPS, blutooth, ect ect (none of this even matters in the end anyway, do all this and you've gone back 5 years in tech). This battery is supposed to be the best on the freaking market! Instead I have to constantly babysit it with power saving controls to get through my workday without it dying on me. There has to be a real fix out there. My Droid Incredible lasted longer than this and that was without reconfiguring the features and turning everything off to make it last. We've tried all the tweaks, now we need Samsung to acknowledge and act.

TLO201

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
my main issue with this battery is the cell stand by.. my EVO LTE never gave me this problem.. that phone would go 2 days with use on one charge... it sucks.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

Try this. Turn off GPS and keep everything else you like turned on. Network signal will still feed location data to apps but is only accurate within a mile or two. Adequate for most needs. Let us know if anything improves.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
OK so here's today's battery life.

13 Hrs (It is at 12 1/2 hrs and on 10% I'm not gonna be using it much so it should last till 2)

32% Screen (3 HR time on)
20% Cell Standy (Time without signal= 12%)
13% Android System
11% Handcent
8% Android OS
6% Media Server (wtf is this...??)
5% Voice Calls
3% Device Idle (9hrs 55 min)

3 hours of screen time along with the associated CPU usage of whatever you're doing will give you the 13 hours battery life which you encountered. Especially if you're screen is displaying a white background the whole time. Running a dual core beast with a large and bright display takes a lot of juice. A bigger battery vs slim form factor is the main trade off with the S3.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
3 hours of screen time along with the associated CPU usage of whatever you're doing will give you the 13 hours battery life which you encountered. Especially if you're screen is displaying a white background the whole time. Running a dual core beast with a large and bright display takes a lot of juice. A bigger battery vs slim form factor is the main trade off with the S3.

What is "Media Server"?

PS- I always have GPS turned OFF.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I would guess it's referring to any kind of streaming from your phone to your network at home. Stuff like music, video, photos et cetera.

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing. With two batteries I don't have to deal with the bull.

I bought this extended battery on Ebay. Well worth it and i don't mind it being a little thinker. They are starting to make thicker cases too:

4800mAh Extended Battery + White Door Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII i9300 | eBay

This was the result after the 2nd full charge:
Screenshot_2012-08-03-22-56-28.png

jg16

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
What the hell are your settings?!

Nothing too customized. wifi on at work, GPS off. Screen at 50% brightness.

Today I unplugged at 7am, and it's now 12:29pm and my battery is at 91%. I haven't used it for anything but music and text messages today, though.