Battery Life Tips & Tricks

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
What are some tips & tricks to increase my battery life? I'm on 47% and I've only gotten 6hrs and 45min out of it. What are some things I should/can do to improve this? Also when I am out with my friends, and on Twitter/Instagram/etc. my battery just drains by the minute it seems. Any tips & tricks out there for me to make my battery actually last a full day? Thanks!

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That's pretty short battery life for the S3. I know a poster will come along with a good link, but try increase the time of notifications in social apps (from 15 minutes to hours), on weather apps make sure you for 6 hrs or more for refresh on temp/weather new, set the screen brightness below 50%, etc.

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Imo the biggest battery hog is google maps. Make sure that it isn't a running process when you're not using it. In addition, turn off gps when you don't need it. I don't think brightness plays much into it because I keep my brightness at 100 and I have pretty good battery life. Use WiFi over 3g/4g whenever you can because it saves ALOT of battery. Other than that...Close applications using the ics multitasker when you don't need them open? Lol that's all I got.

Reactions: ectoren

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I solved any battery problems by purchasing the extra battery and charger kit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Imo the biggest battery hog is google maps. Make sure that it isn't a running process when you're not using it. In addition, turn off gps when you don't need it. I don't think brightness plays much into it because I keep my brightness at 100 and I have pretty good battery life. Use WiFi over 3g/4g whenever you can because it saves ALOT of battery. Other than that...Close applications using the ics multitasker when you don't need them open? Lol that's all I got.

How do you totally turn off/terminate Google Maps? Because whenever I close it/end it, it always just re-appears seconds later...

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes me too. But like I said, it reappears seconds later. And sorry, not rooted.

That's weird because mine doesn't. Maybe you could try ending the process in the task manager, although that could have adverse effects; I'm not entirely sure. You could try turning off all your location services when you don't need maps running, without them I would think maps can't run anyways. Thats all I got lol sorry, good luck!

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Try to turn off your carrier network (4g or 3g) when you are not using it. The way to turn off the carrier network is Settings> Wireless and network> Mobile networks> Uncheck "Use packet data" If you want to reuse the carrier network, simply recheck "Use packet data" Hope this helps! :D:thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap guys.... I charged my phone to 100% fully charged last night... turned it on 11:30 (25 min ago) been texting my GF and that is it... and it's already down to 97%. I am at home, connected to my Wi-Fi. What the GIVES!!??

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Check battery settings to see if it tells you what has used the most during the 25 min. I recommend OS Monitor app as it shows all processes and their CPU load. Last night things seemed slow. Looking at o s monitor I noticed a system process chugging at 75 percent constantly for no reason. Rebooted phone and that solved it. I wonder if the recent update will be updated based on the very negative feedback?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Check battery settings to see if it tells you what has used the most during the 25 min. I recommend OS Monitor app as it shows all processes and their CPU load. Last night things seemed slow. Looking at o s monitor I noticed a system process chugging at 75 percent constantly for no reason. Rebooted phone and that solved it. I wonder if the recent update will be updated based on the very negative feedback?

45 min on the battery and it's already down to 94%.

26% Screen
17% Phone
13% Cell Standby
12% MapServiceSamsung (WTF is this??)
10% Android System
6% Android OS
6% Handcent
3% Weather
3% Media server
2% Instagram

It's weird bc I have the screen on like 35% brightness and I have not made any calls, just texting my GF as I stated. Also wondering WTF "MapServiceSumsung" is and how I can turn that off. Thanks to everyone so far for the help.

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
45 min on the battery and it's already down to 94%.

26% Screen
17% Phone
13% Cell Standby
12% MapServiceSamsung (WTF is this??)
10% Android System
6% Android OS
6% Handcent
3% Weather
3% Media server
2% Instagram

It's weird bc I have the screen on like 35% brightness and I have not made any calls, just texting my GF as I stated. Also wondering WTF "MapServiceSumsung" is and how I can turn that off. Thanks to everyone so far for the help.

I would like to start by saying that 6% in 45 minutes is not bad, because its the amoled screen thats sucking the battery anyways, regardless if you are texting or not. Also, the fact that cell standby is so high means that you get bad cell reception wherever you are. Bad cell reception = bad battery life. You could try going to a different radio (LG8 maybe). And I have no idea what mapservicesamsung is lmao.

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
How do you disable S-Voice?

Go to the app and turn off the double home press to launch s-voice. Then turn off the "say google" (or whatever) to launch s-voice. Btw, if you haven't turned off the voice launch, that'll really help because otherwise it's always listening just in case you say the word, and that wastes battery. Then just close the app and don't use it anymore.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Go to the app and turn off the double home press to launch s-voice. Then turn off the "say google" (or whatever) to launch s-voice. Btw, if you haven't turned off the voice launch, that'll really help because otherwise it's always listening just in case you say the word, and that wastes battery. Then just close the app and don't use it anymore.

Done.

But yesterday I did all the battery tricks I could think of.... still only got 12hrs of use with it. And that's about medium usage, went on Twitter/Instagram only a few times but was constantly texting my GF and only made 5-6 calls. What gives?!?! -___-

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Done.

But yesterday I did all the battery tricks I could think of.... still only got 12hrs of use with it. And that's about medium usage, went on Twitter/Instagram only a few times but was constantly texting my GF and only made 5-6 calls. What gives?!?! -___-

Do you remember what the screen on time was or how good your signal was on average throughout the day? And also, did you predominantly use 3g or wifi? Those 3 contribute most towards battery life so I would think your problem stemmed from one of those.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you remember what the screen on time was or how good your signal was on average throughout the day? And also, did you predominantly use 3g or wifi? Those 3 contribute most towards battery life so I would think your problem stemmed from one of those.

By "screen on time" you mean what?? I just charged it to 100% so we'll see what happens...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85