Best app for texting over Wi-Fi ONLY!?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I barely get any service at my house (upstate NY in the mountains) and my Sprint Router at the house broke and a new one isn't coming till next week, so until then I was wondering what a good app for texting over Wi-Fi?! Does Handcent allow that or no? Thanks in advance!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp, Viber, Voxer, Vonage are all good choices. :thumbup:

Don't really like Voxer I've had it before and uninstalled it. On the other ones is it FREE and do I text from my number or does the app give you a number? If possible I'd like to keep my number lol.

qhinton

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Use Google voice its the best one. Also if you port your number to Google you can use GrooveIP to receive and make calls over WiFi. So in short use Google voice + Groove IP

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Use Google voice its the best one. Also if you port your number to Google you can use GrooveIP to receive and make calls over WiFi. So in short use Google voice + Groove IP

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is it free or will it charge my Google Account money??

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
sooo do you know a name of the app so you can txt with wifi only while the phone is disconnected ?

You can download the application "Google voice". You must setup a google voice number via www.google.com/voice.

You'll be required to have a current working number or at least someone with a working number that can let you use it to verify your google voice account (spam prevention?).

You can also try textplus which requires no number verification. I've also heard good things about whatsapp.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using GO SMS Pro since my first Android phone. It's highly customizable and easy to use. WIFI or over the network, it's the best. Check it out. And...IT'S FREE!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CSquare43

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been using GO SMS Pro since my first Android phone. It's highly customizable and easy to use. WIFI or over the network, it's the best. Check it out. And...IT'S FREE!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the recommendation. Does GO SMS Pro allow you to use your own phone number or is it one of the services is that assigns you a new number?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. Does GO SMS Pro allow you to use your own phone number or is it one of the services is that assigns you a new number?

You use your own phone number. Also, if you use the GO Chat feature with your contacts, texting is free even on the network.

alyb243

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Do any of those apps route through your actual phone number? Like is there an app that send messages through wifi while using your already excising number? Kinda how imessage works for iphones

wess580

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Try pinger works great you can all make phone calls but you cant use ur cell number but you get to choose from a list and its somewhat free.... incoming calls and text msg are free if you want more mins you can buy them or look at ads for mins I use it on my ipod touch and my phone

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

LBGIRL

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Im looking for free texting app thats via wifi or their own data that I can enter or port my own #. My service is gonna be interupted for approx a week but need to still receive texts on it. Thats very important. Hopefully 1 thats really free no credits to buy or earn?

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Im looking for free texting app thats via wifi or their own data that I can enter or port my own #. My service is gonna be interupted for approx a week but need to still receive texts on it. Thats very important. Hopefully 1 thats really free no credits to buy or earn?

By service interruption, are you saying something will be happening to your cell account with your provider?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance