Gs3 and sprint airave

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having major problems with sprint airave and gs3? I'm on my second airave and for some reason half the time my gs3 wont connect to it. When it does, its great. I constantly have to reset my airave and update prl and profile on the phone so that the gs3 can connect to it. I had my internet provider check the connection and all, everything is good according to them. Sometimes my phone also has a hard time sending texts, I get an error message.
Thanx.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having major problems with sprint airave and gs3? I'm on my second airave and for some reason half the time my gs3 wont connect to it. When it does, its great. I constantly have to reset my airave and update prl and profile on the phone so that the gs3 can connect to it. I had my internet provider check the connection and all, everything is good according to them. Sometimes my phone also has a hard time sending texts, I get an error message.
Thanx.

Yes but that is the airave NOT the GS3. Because I had the same problem on my EVO 3D and my whole fam (dad has 3D, mom has EVO, bro has iPhone4) all of em have the same problems you just said. And also when a text does send after getting the error message, it sends it like 10 times lol.

Stbrightman

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the AIRAVE is a major pos. I have one because signal is non existent in my neighborhood, and I always have issues with signal strength with it. I think the problem lies with my neighbor two doors down who also has one. My phone I think will log onto their AIRAVE even though I'm in my house, and consequently I will drop calls, unable to sms, etc. So stupid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Two GS3's on my Airave here and no issues.

Apple's opening court statement...
"It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanx.

Call Sprints Tech Support, they can walk you on actually going into the settings and trying out different values to see if it helps you out... You could also do it yourself if you wanted, but only if you know what your doing in changing settings.. But beyond that, no, I know a few people with airwaves and the GS3 and no issues... Good luck!

anon(848791)

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Call Sprints Tech Support, they can walk you on actually going into the settings and trying out different values to see if it helps you out... You could also do it yourself if you wanted, but only if you know what your doing in changing settings.. But beyond that, no, I know a few people with airwaves and the GS3 and no issues... Good luck!

Called them a few times. They have no idea what they are doing there.

Crawfordcade1

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Call Sprint because there is an air-rave update that needs to be sent out because the new devices are having a hard time picking then up. If you need the Sprint Air-Rave number just reply and I'll post

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Called them a few times. They have no idea what they are doing there.

lol, have them bump you to Tier 2 support or ask for a supervisor, they will get you someone who know's what they are doing if you state your ongoing issue and the lack of support from some agents you've contacted..

Roy S

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
This may be a "Work Around" for the Galaxy S3 and Airave texting Error 97 issue. Here's what I am doing. If this quits working I will certainly update or remove this posting, however, it's been working for quite some time now.

NOTE: We were NOT in range of an airave when our phones were activated for the first time. Both phones were activated at the Sprint store.

1: UNPLUG your Airave.
2: Put all of the affected phones into Airplane mode shutting off all radios in the phones.
3: Now plug your Airave back in and let all 4 lights green up solid. (I know, this seems like it takes forever)
4: Wait 2 more minutes. (Have Patience Danielson)
5: Now and only now, take your phones out of airplane mode and give them a few minutes to sync up with the Airave. Don't dial the *99 thing either. just wait until your signal bar goes to full strength while in close range of the Airave.
6: You should now be able to send and receive text messages. (It works at my house anyway)

DO NOT UPDATE PROFILE, PRL, OR ACTIVATE A NEW PHONE WHILE IN RANGE OF AIRAVE. If you have done this, it would be a good idea to get out of range of Airave and acquire cell tower signal, and only then update your PROFILE and PRL.
NEVER ACTIVATE A NEW PHONE IN RANGE OF AN AIRAVE. If you have done this, you will probably need to contact Sprint and have them change your MSID/reactivate your phone while in cell tower range only and away from an Airave.

Here's how I came up with this: Of course I called Sprint tech support first when we noticed the issue with our brand new Galaxy s3 phones. My phone would text fine but her's wouldn't send any outgoing text messages. It kept giving her an error code 97. He tweaked some settings and reset the airave remotely. Now her phone would text but mine quite working and I was getting the error code. He said it was a known issue, and that Sprint was working with the manufacturer of the Airave on a solution. To sum up the entire conversation, he basically said to try resetting the Airave "When" it quit working and "Maybe" that would fix the problem. He confirmed that we were stuck with this issue until a software/firmware update was implemented with either the Airave or the GS3 phones. We would either have cell coverage and no text, or be forced to unplug the airave, go upstairs, and maybe get a signal to send a text or make a phone call. This simply isn't a viable option for us as our main living area is downstairs and we don't get any reception there.

Well, the texting issue bent back and forth between my S3, her S3, and most of the time both S3 phones not sending outgoing texts (code 97). It never once affected the other 2 LG rumor phones in the house and they worked flawlessly. Apparently this issue only affects certain phones and the GS3 is one of them. Simply resetting the Airave was just not doing the trick. Rarely (actually never) did just unplugging or resetting the Airave work on both phones at the same time. It finally dawned on me one day that when her phone would text and mine wouldn't, that she was out of the house when I reset the airave. Her phone would now text and mine wouldn't, Then we had a short power outage at the house another day. I was not home but she was, Then only my phone would text and hers quit working. So a thought popped into my head to run a little experiment and try taking the phones out of service while rebooting the airave. So far so good. Both phones are working 100% of the time unless we have a power blip or the Airave resets while we are in range. Apparently this is an issue that only happens with certain phones, and the Galaxy S3 is one of them. When the Airave resets in range of Galaxy S3 phones, there must be some sort of "handshake" routine that runs during initialization. I believe that this may be the source of the issue. Putting the phones in airplane mode stops this from happening when the Airave goes through the boot sequence and finally acquires "mobile".

I ran further experiments rebooting the airave with the phones radios turned on to see if the problem returned. The problem returned upon the first boot and only 1 phone could send outgoing texts. Further experiments proved (at my house at least) that having the radios turned off while booting the Airave solved the problem. Testing back and forth, and sure enough, when the radios were turned off (airplane mode) both phones worked fine. When the radios were turned on, the problem returned. Anyway, it is working at my home at least, and I can only hope it helps others out there to get around this very frustrating problem.

I love Sprint and my Galaxy S3 phone, I love the fact that they provided me with a free Airave to fix a reception problem, but the Texting bug is a pain in the rear irregardless. I certainly hope they are able to resolve this issue soon.

Good luck and I hope this helps others with this frustrating problem until a permanent solution is found. ;)

Last edited:

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
No issues at all with both my S3's with Airave.

Apple's opening court statement...
"It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: GS3 and sprint airave

We have two S3s. Mine phone has had no problems and was activated at a Radio Shack store. I have had no problems with my phone.

My wife's phone is having trouble dropping calls and it also gets messages and voice mails hours after they were originall sent. It was activated at home where the Airave is located. Sprint had me remove the battery and then sent a signal to the phone but that did not help. I later did a full reset. These were all done at home with the Airave on.

I wonder if doing an activation with the Airave is the problem with her phone?

Comments?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues. Mine was delivered to the house, so it was activated with my airrave on. I've also updated my prl and user data all with the airrave on. I haven't had any issues.

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been using an Airave 2.5 for 2 weeks with an SG3 and an E4GT - working great and always 5 bars. The phones were bought and activated at a Sprint kiosk 6 weeks before getting the Airave. When I began installing the the Airave, I first powered off all computers, cable modem, router, and phones, and powered them on only when called for in the Airave setup instructions. This initial activation process took over 90 minutes to get the four "solid greens."

Stewby85

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had a Airave for years, always worked fine, perfect, untill I got my new gs3. I would connect sometime and sometimes not. I would have full signal then just a bar or 2 and maybe even on roam. Well I have NEVER had the external antenna hooked up. My 3 lights on the airave were always solid. I called in to Sprint got a great teck guy, told me to hook it up make sure it pointed to sky on outside. I did it just through room and out window onto roof. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUE SO FAR. WORKS GREAT again. Maybe that will help some of you ......

Nanobiker

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Airave does not support LTE network mode. you need to select CDMA network mode.
Settings > More settings > Mobile Networks > Network mode > CDMA.
then do an update profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca