SGSIII off contract or wait?

jebba

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I really want the SIII from sprint (currently using the epic with CM9) but my upgrade isn't until February. Would it be worth it to buy the SIII off contract for $600+ with tax or wait for the next best thing?

I know that I can always sell my SIII when my upgrade comes if there is a better phone, but don't want to wait. Any advice or rumors of new sprint phones that would be worth waiting for? Thanks in advance.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Being Worth it is a relative term only to you. For me its not worth it unless its new contract price, but other people will buy off contract.
Only you your self can decide if its worth it.
Are you in a current or very near LTE market? Are you in a current WiMax market?
Do you get good or bad 3G service where you are now?
Are you on WiFi a lot?
Those are questions that you need to ask your self.
Doesnt matter how bad ass a phone is or what specs it has, if you have poor network coverage, no data or no wifi the phone is still a brick.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Being Worth it is a relative term only to you. For me its not worth it unless its new contract price, but other people will buy off contract.
Only you your self can decide if its worth it.
Are you in a current or very near LTE market? Are you in a current WiMax market?
Do you get good or bad 3G service where you are now?
Are you on WiFi a lot?
Those are questions that you need to ask your self.
Doesnt matter how bad ass a phone is or what specs it has, if you have poor network coverage, no data or no wifi the phone is still a brick.

I agree. For me, no phone is is worth +$300. Period... There is absolutely no way I could justify spending that on a phone in today's economy and with my salary. Perhaps if I was making more money it would be different.

Everyone puts a different value on things. So if it's worth it to you, then don't worry about what others say.

jebba

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I think the only way I could justify buying it without an upgrade would be if I could sell it for a good price. Do you know if these phones actually sell for the amount that people on Craigslist post them for, or are they all smoking crack? I am very good at keeping my phones in good condition and always buy a case for them.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

mitsueks

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just bought mine off contract for $485... I have a 1 month S2 that I will sell to cover almost $250 of it. So that is almost the cost of on contract but I am not up for one until May of next year. I am in an LTE area and it's killing me not having an LTE phone.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I agree. For me, no phone is is worth +$300. Period... There is absolutely no way I could justify spending that on a phone in today's economy and with my salary. Perhaps if I was making more money it would be different.

Everyone puts a different value on things. So if it's worth it to you, then don't worry about what others say.

Actually if you went gsm and paid 600 for the phone, you'd save a lot of money in the long run.

A lot of that contract price is simply making payments on the phone and when the contract is up, they don't deduct it, you're still paying for the phone.

One lump sum will save you hundreds

Sent from my htc_jewel using Tapatalk 2

Coorsleftfield

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
A lot of that contract price is simply making payments on the phone and when the contract is up, they don't deduct it, you're still paying for the phone.

One lump sum will save you hundreds

Sent from my htc_jewel using Tapatalk 2

I pay the same on Sprint whether I am under contract or not, so might as well get a new phone out of them and sell my old one for some money.

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If you wait 6 months until you're upgrade eligible, you can come back to this forum, to see us talking about how outdated the S3 is.
They way technology is advancing, it doesn't matter when your contract expires, you will be within 3 months of the "Last big thing", or "The next big thing".

rpconrad

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Just bought one off Ebay for $450 brand new (shipped , no taxes) from a reputable seller

I would buy off contract and save the upgrade

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add my opinion. The only phone to get off contract I would say is a nexus branded phone. Since those get updated they stay relevant software wise longer than a carrier locked phone. Plus you don't have to wait on said updates, if they are important to you that is.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add my opinion. The only phone to get off contract I would say is a nexus branded phone. Since those get updated they stay relevant software wise longer than a carrier locked phone. Plus you don't have to wait on said updates, if they are important to you that is.

Kind of feel the same here. IMO... There's not a phone in the world worth $400. I think the $199 and tax is about as much as I would spend on a phone. I just couldn't justify spending any more than that. I was able to get one for my daughter as well but only because I was able to sell back 2 phones for $130 off.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Another thing you can ask for that sprint doesn't actively advertise is ask if you qualify for a early upgrade. Some customers and I was one of them upgraded a year early and got the full discount but I had a 50 dollar early upgrade fee on my bill.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Kind of feel the same here. IMO... There's not a phone in the world worth $400. I think the $199 and tax is about as much as I would spend on a phone. I just couldn't justify spending any more than that. I was able to get one for my daughter as well but only because I was able to sell back 2 phones for $130 off.

Only thing about getting a phone subsidized ( under a contract via carrier ) is that, you end up paying more for the phone over a two year contract than if you buy it unsubbed. "Low" upfront payment with higher yearly cost with a subsidized phone versus a high upfront payment but low yearly cost after on a unsubbed phone. Honestly most phones are not worth the 500 - 700 price tag they come out with. I could buy a laptop for that much.

I'm on the fence between subbed and unsubbed now but I don't think the next nexus will be in my price range.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Another thing you can ask for that sprint doesn't actively advertise is ask if you qualify for a early upgrade. Some customers and I was one of them upgraded a year early and got the full discount but I had a 50 dollar early upgrade fee on my bill.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Technically you didnt have an early upgrade. You paid 50 bucks to buy out of your old contract and get a new one. If you didnt pay the 50 bucks you would not have been able to get a new contract.

Its an early buy out program.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine brand new on Ebay as well. No way was I going to renew my contract with Sprint, especially since their LTE rollout is extremely slow. Just keeping my options open to see what the situation will be when my contract is up.

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Have you checked your local cl yet? Here in DE, I found a white SGS3 16gb for $300 cash. Clean esn, and with all the oem items. I would never buy a cell phone at full retail, that is just nuts, but that my 2 centabos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo