Why all the fuss about the GS3?

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
The meaning of this post is completely different from what you may think from the title :) I have been thinking because there is all this negative posting from Apple fanboys and HTC fanboys and that is fine. (although I have no idea why they don't stay in their own forums. How could our love for our own phones offend them?) The phone you choose is very subjective. Different people like different features and different interfaces. I guess that is why there are Democrats and Republicans (although who in their right mind would be a Republican? Just kidding to my GS3 Republican friends) Let's not make this political.

Anyways, I was thinking about why I like my GS3 so much better than my previous phones and some of you Apple guys have inquired about the significance of the upgrade from the GS2 (Epic 4G Touch in the Sprint world) The answer is quite significant.

4.5 to 4.8 - The larger display is a great feature for me. Makes the whole phone experience better.

480x800 - (217 Pixel density) to 1280x720 (306 pixel density) Once again the visuals are for me very important as I am barely literate.

Gorilla Glass to Gorilla Glass2 - 20% thinner while maintaining great damage resistance, toughness, and scratch resistance. The thinner Gorilla Glass 2 enables slimmer devices, brighter images, and greater touch sensitivity.

TouchWiz4 - TouchWiz Nature UX - This is huge. I love the intuitiveness, flexibility, and feel for this latest version of the interface. There are so many new features and this interface is really fun to use. Here is an article for those who don't own the phone:
TouchWiz Nature UX: The definitive guide | Android Central.

3G/4G to 3G/4GLTE - The jury is still out on this. Sprint (so they say) is doing all it can to make the upgrades ASAP. This ultimately will be a much faster internet experience but not fully implemented yet and is a definite negative for now. This being said, I personally don't have this problem because I usually have access to WIFI and 3G suits my internet needs for now.)

1.2GHz dual core CPU with 1Gb RAM to 1.5Ghz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon with 2Gb RAM - This makes for a much faster and smoother interface. (They say it's like butter, I don't know about that but it is very nice)

The camera has pretty much the same specs as the G2 but they have added a lot of new software features which makes this camera as good or better than on any phone.

1650mAh battery to 2100mAh battery - This gives you much greater time to make calls, use the internet, play games, do research, etc before having to re-charge your battery. Often, a fully charged battery will get you through the day easily, and the flexibility of the removable battery gives you additional options to have a second battery available or upgrade to a larger one.

There are probably other features that I haven't mentioned, but after all this, I would say yes, this upgrade is significant and certainly makes for a much better smartphone experience; well worth the upgrade.

One more thing for the Apple fanboys. The Android open architecture allows for changes to the interface, adding features to our phones, and changing features to make them better. If you don't have the experience, time or the patience, our technical and generous Android programmers and developers make them available to our Android community which makes owning an Android device an even greater experience. AND we don't have to sue for the round corners on our phones, and your other ridiculous patented "original" ideas like spell checker. You want everyone to buy an Apple product in order to have spell checker on their phone or tapping a phone number on an email to dial the number? Are you kidding me? They are both nice phones with tons of features. I just hope Apple stops these frivolous law suits already so both companies can move forward and make even better products.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree with you on most points. I am personally very happy that the LTE network from Sprint is being deployed.. I live in Jacksonville and I know it will be here by novemberish :D.

All the other things though I do love... While I don't use my camera that much I really do like the camera on the s3.. Just how fast it can snap photos is very nice.

I used to own an iphone till the 4 then swapped to the s2... Now the s3. I personally don't know why people argue on phones because it's really just about what you like. I love android and the galaxy series so that's why I dropped iphone.. Yet I know many friends who still love it and I can't blame them since it does what they want and they like it. Arguing an opinion related option for me is pointless.. If I like a certain product that is what I will get. Relate it to PC video cards... I am a die hard nvidia fan. Always have been.. If someone who likes ati sat there for 4 hours explaining why ati is so pro it wouldn't matter because I like nvidia. Now not to say I'd turn a blind eye because I will try stuff from time to time.. Like I have tried ati and then nvidia and I like it more.. Just like I tried iphone but like my android more.

/rant

Either way.. I just like my s3 and I am sure the iPhone 5 will suit the iPhone people :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What I tell people is to buy the phone that best suits their needs. I for one use my phone to stream nfl games at work, because I work Sunday mornings and I miss the games otherwise.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree whole heart idly about your post i feel same way but i gotta go with ati with this one :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
May I ask what app or how you stream live nfl ?
I am not using any app. I simply go to wiziwig.eu from my browser and click on the links to watch the games. It's a life saver.
You can watch any sport you want: soccer, baseball, football, hockey, wrestling, and much more.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The meaning of this post is completely different from what you may think from the title :) I have been thinking because there is all this negative posting from Apple fanboys and HTC fanboys and that is fine. (although I have no idea why they don't stay in their own forums. How could our love for our own phones offend them?) The phone you choose is very subjective. Different people like different features and different interfaces. I guess that is why there are Democrats and Republicans (although who in their right mind would be a Republican? Just kidding to my GS3 Republican friends) Let's not make this political.

Anyways, I was thinking about why I like my GS3 so much better than my previous phones and some of you Apple guys have inquired about the significance of the upgrade from the GS2 (Epic 4G Touch in the Sprint world) The answer is quite significant.

4.5 to 4.8 - The larger display is a great feature for me. Makes the whole phone experience better.

480x800 - (217 Pixel density) to 1280x720 (306 pixel density) Once again the visuals are for me very important as I am barely literate.

Gorilla Glass to Gorilla Glass2 - 20% thinner while maintaining great damage resistance, toughness, and scratch resistance. The thinner Gorilla Glass 2 enables slimmer devices, brighter images, and greater touch sensitivity.

TouchWiz4 - TouchWiz Nature UX - This is huge. I love the intuitiveness, flexibility, and feel for this latest version of the interface. There are so many new features and this interface is really fun to use. Here is an article for those who don't own the phone:
TouchWiz Nature UX: The definitive guide | Android Central.

3G/4G to 3G/4GLTE - The jury is still out on this. Sprint (so they say) is doing all it can to make the upgrades ASAP. This ultimately will be a much faster internet experience but not fully implemented yet and is a definite negative for now. This being said, I personally don't have this problem because I usually have access to WIFI and 3G suits my internet needs for now.)

1.2GHz dual core CPU with 1Gb RAM to 1.5Ghz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon with 2Gb RAM - This makes for a much faster and smoother interface. (They say it's like butter, I don't know about that but it is very nice)

The camera has pretty much the same specs as the G2 but they have added a lot of new software features which makes this camera as good or better than on any phone.

1650mAh battery to 2100mAh battery - This gives you much greater time to make calls, use the internet, play games, do research, etc before having to re-charge your battery. Often, a fully charged battery will get you through the day easily, and the flexibility of the removable battery gives you additional options to have a second battery available or upgrade to a larger one.

There are probably other features that I haven't mentioned, but after all this, I would say yes, this upgrade is significant and certainly makes for a much better smartphone experience; well worth the upgrade.

One more thing for the Apple fanboys. The Android open architecture allows for changes to the interface, adding features to our phones, and changing features to make them better. If you don't have the experience, time or the patience, our technical and generous Android programmers and developers make them available to our Android community which makes owning an Android device an even greater experience. AND we don't have to sue for the round corners on our phones, and your other ridiculous patented "original" ideas like spell checker. You want everyone to buy an Apple product in order to have spell checker on their phone or tapping a phone number on an email to dial the number? Are you kidding me? They are both nice phones with tons of features. I just hope Apple stops these frivolous law suits already so both companies can move forward and make even better products.

I know I will probably get slammed, but if you compare what you listed between the SGS2 and the sgs3 with the same things apple added from the 4S to i5 it is sort of the same thing.

I truly despise apple but as I was reading it dawned on me that maybe I am wearing Google goggles. I have the sgs2 so I was comparing the differences and wishing I had the sgs3. Then I realized that the update could be comparable.

I know the sgs3 is way better than the s2 but... Ya just saying.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I know I will probably get slammed, but if you compare what you listed between the SGS2 and the sgs3 with the same things apple added from the 4S to i5 it is sort of the same thing.

I truly despise apple but as I was reading it dawned on me that maybe I am wearing Google goggles. I have the sgs2 so I was comparing the differences and wishing I had the sgs3. Then I realized that the update could be comparable.

I know the sgs3 is way better than the s2 but... Ya just saying.

I was thinking the same thing. Most phone companies at this point are doing minimal upgrades. Everything is at the point to where it is a great product it just needs refined. Screens are getting brighter and more energy efficient because we are to the point where the ppi doesn't need to go higher. Processors we are to the point of making them thinner smaller NM and more energy effecient. Ram getting slimmer and faster. When Android first came out it was who is gonna make the first 1ghz proc!? First dual core!? 512mb of ram!?! Omg 300ppi!?! We are past the one upping really in my opinion. They need to make things more efficient and catch the software up to efficiently use the crazy hardware we are putting in the phones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
When Apple is comfortable with a device they tend to get lazy with major upgrades. This year, the major upgrades are a 4" screen and thinner. Battery is smaller and the processor is not the A15 core that everyone thought it would be during the speculation summer. All in all, a similar product to last year.

But that is Apple's bread and butter, to offer a product that is similar year after year and still charge top dollar for it.

Samsung and other manufacturers offer devices numerous times a year at all performance levels. The high end devices get the most attention with large memory stores and top end CPUs. Samsung itself is ready to release the quad core exynos processor that is in the Galaxy Note 10 in phones. I believe it should be in the Note 2, but we will have to see when they are finally released. Apple won't release their A15 are until the 5s, it seems.

Also remember that just because two different devices look the same on paper, that means nothing most of the time. Sometimes the greatest difference between two devices is in the updated driver caches and OS updates that add new features other than hardware.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
When Apple is comfortable with a device they tend to get lazy with major upgrades. This year, the major upgrades are a 4" screen and thinner. Battery is smaller and the processor is not the A15 core that everyone thought it would be during the speculation summer. All in all, a similar product to last year.

But that is Apple's bread and butter, to offer a product that is similar year after year and still charge top dollar for it.

Samsung and other manufacturers offer devices numerous times a year at all performance levels. The high end devices get the most attention with large memory stores and top end CPUs. Samsung itself is ready to release the quad core exynos processor that is in the Galaxy Note 10 in phones. I believe it should be in the Note 2, but we will have to see when they are finally released. Apple won't release their A15 are until the 5s, it seems.

Also remember that just because two different devices look the same on paper, that means nothing most of the time. Sometimes the greatest difference between two devices is in the updated driver caches and OS updates that add new features other than hardware.

Ya because the s3 was ground breakingly better than the s2. Ha right the apple chip is much better than the And and A5X. What can they do to the screen to make it better really? Size is personal opinion if that's ur only problem with the screen. It does have minimal refined upgrades which all make a big difference. Nothing different than android phone makers do.
Also the battery is said to be 10mah bigger and in the engadget review in the video loop test the iPhone 5 got 10 less minutes than the razr maxx. If that is true then the battery life will be better than 99% of android phones

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Ya I have to agree with ryanr509. I'm not debating that the SG3 is better because I think it is. But Apple's upgrades get the big "that was lame" song from everyone when most updates are similar. Our software does more so we are ahead anyway but in terms of hardware it looks very similar on paper to me.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ya because the s3 was ground breakingly better than the s2. Ha right the apple chip is much better than the And and A5X. What can they do to the screen to make it better really? Size is personal opinion if that's ur only problem with the screen. It does have minimal refined upgrades which all make a big difference. Nothing different than android phone makers do.
Also the battery is said to be 10mah bigger and in the engadget review in the video loop test the iPhone 5 got 10 less minutes than the razr maxx. If that is true then the battery life will be better than 99% of android phones
That's true what you said about the screen. Personally, I am fine with the s3. I don't know if I want a bigger screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2