Manually Update from LG8 to LI3 (UNROOTED STOCK PHONES) Sprint Only

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
You don't need stock recovery... as in previous updates, get the zip, reboot to CWM, apply the update the WITHOUT REBOOTING, apply the "root from recovery" zip file, and then reboot... You will have an updated phone with root and cwm

I tried this method because it looked to be the easiest. But didn't get too far. While installing the update, the screen showed:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("/system/app/accuweatherDaemon.odex , xxxxxx) the xxxxx refers to a bunch of numbers.
E: Error in (the update zip file)
(Status 7) Installation aborted.
It seemed to happen while verifying my current system.

The only system file I changed was an apk google search file in order to see contacts, etc. from google search.
I am rooted with CWM recovery and currently using the High On Android rom.

Any ideas out there? Would going to stock recovery be any different than using this method?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried this method because it looked to be the easiest. But didn't get too far. While installing the update, the screen showed:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("/system/app/accuweatherDaemon.odex , xxxxxx) the xxxxx refers to a bunch of numbers.
It seemed to happen while verifying my current system.

The only system file I changed was an apk google search file in order to see contacts, etc. from google search.
I am rooted with CWM recovery and currently using the High On Android rom.

Any ideas out there? Would going to stock recovery be any different than using this method?

Going to a custom recovery won't help as your problem is your custom rom.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Download the following update zip and place it on your external sd. Go to settings/security and make sure unknown sources is unchecked.

Shut off phone. Press volume up, power and home button at the same time. As soon as you see a flash, let go of the buttons. This will put you in stock recovery. Using the volume bar to select and power button to activate, select update from external storage. Choose the file you previously put there. Push your power button. Your update will begin.

This is only for those with STOCK unrooted phones with STOCK recovery.

Get your zip file here...

Hello there and thank you for these easy instructions, I just downloaded this new update on my phone.:)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Going to a custom recovery won't help as your problem is your custom rom.

Thanks Skunk, so in summary you are saying that to upgrade to LI3, I should remove my custom ROM. What is the best way to do this? Can I flash stock rom? If so, do you have this file? Thanks in advance.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think I can pull something together for you.

Edit: Remember always make a Nandroid of your current configuration. Download and flash in CWM "LG8-update-FULL-Odex.zip"

This is a ROOTED STOCK LG8 ROM. So you should be able to get updated with this. Like it was said earlier... Install ots RootKeeper and save your root before applying the update. If I were you I would try flashing the rom wiping only cache and dalvik.

Last edited:

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Edit: Remember always make a Nandroid of your current configuration. Download and flash in CWM "LG8-update-FULL-Odex.zip"

This is a ROOTED STOCK LG8 ROM. So you should be able to get updated with this. Like it was said earlier... Install ots RootKeeper and save your root before applying the update. If I were you I would try flashing the rom wiping only cache and dalvik.

I think I have a Nandroid backup. Can I just restore from the BU or do I still need to flash the stock rom along with the all the other stuff? Thanks. Sorry about the noob questions. I plan to know this stuff really well in a few months. :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think I have a Nandroid backup. Can I just restore from the BU or do I still need to flash the stock rom along with the all the other stuff? Thanks. Sorry about the noob questions. I plan to know this stuff really well in a few months. :)

if you have a nandroid backup of your stock setup that should work fine. However you should still install ota root keeper as you will lose root when you flash the ota. But if you are comfortable flashing in cwm that shouldn't be a concern.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Your file seemed to work great. I am rooted with CWM recovery and back to original LG8. Made Nandroid BU and wiped only cache and dalvik. But when I flashed the update file to LI3, I got a similar error to the last one while verifying my current system. This time it seemed to abort on a different file however:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7: and then a bunch of numbers")

Any ideas? I think I'm getting close now. Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Your file seemed to work great. I am rooted with CWM recovery and back to original LG8. Made Nandroid BU and wiped only cache and dalvik. But when I flashed the update file to LI3, I got a similar error to the last one while verifying my current system. This time it seemed to abort on a different file however:

"assert failed: apply patch check" and then listed in parentheses ("EMMC: /dev/block/mmcblk0p7: and then a bunch of numbers")

Any ideas? I think I'm getting close now. Thanks.

Ok I'm having the same issue. I even tried unrooting and going to stock recovery. Did some searching and (freeza) the same guy that provided the flashable stock LG8 zip has now updated his thread with the stock LI3 zip. This is the Stock rooted LI3 update but without the radio. So you will have to also down load and flash the LI3 modem separately. Both links provided below for your flashing pleasure. You should be able to flash both of these by just wiping cache and dalvik.

[ROM]9/20/12 LI3 Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 3

LI3 Modem / Radio

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm having the same issue. I even tried unrooting and going to stock recovery. Did some searching and (freeza) the same guy that provided the flashable stock LG8 zip has now updated his thread with the stock LI3 zip. This is the Stock rooted LI3 update but without the radio. So you will have to also down load and flash the LI3 modem separately. Both links provided below for your flashing pleasure. You should be able to flash both of these by just wiping cache and dalvik.

[ROM]9/20/12 LI3 Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 3

LI3 Modem / Radio

Thanks. I already have the LI3 modem. It's a good thing because my torrents run a lot faster than this download. (75k/second?) Using my very up-to-date PC and it's been running for 15 minutes and only 1% complete. Oh well, I really appreciate your generosity with your time and efforts Skunk. I will complete later after the poker tournament. Playing holdem in a $150k guaranteed at noon. I will keep you posted. (unintentional pun)