Did my rooted phone update?

wc4r

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Newbie here...
Got the Galaxy G3 on Sprint -- rooted it. I get notifications now and then about a system update. I allow the update to process. As it restarts, it always stops on the CWM menu to reboot recovery.
I chose that option and all seems fine. I do not get another update notification for a couple more weeks at least so I assume it updated.
How can I be sure?
My device build number shows: IMM76D.L710VPALG2

Can a rooted device update OTA?

Thanks, Joe

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Usually the custom recovery causes it to fail.

FWIW, my wife's SGSIII is on IMM76D.L710VPALG8

So it appears your device didn't update.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Newbie here...
Got the Galaxy G3 on Sprint -- rooted it. I get notifications now and then about a system update. I allow the update to process. As it restarts, it always stops on the CWM menu to reboot recovery.
I chose that option and all seems fine. I do not get another update notification for a couple more weeks at least so I assume it updated.
How can I be sure?
My device build number shows: IMM76D.L710VPALG2

Can a rooted device update OTA?

Thanks, Joe

If you are still on the stock rom, you can update it by installing ota rootkeeper, saving your root and then installing your stock recovery. Get root keeper from the playstore and the rest of what you need (including the stock recovery) here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210369

wc4r

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks folks.
I played and experimented this past weekend and I did the upgrade manually with ODIN 3.07.
Got the LI3 zip file downloaded and put it on my SD card. When I chose to update and selected the LI3 file, the system updated perfectly. I checked the root, WiFi tether, and new LI3 features; they all work well.
I'm comfortable around Linux and found a rooted S3 with ODIN as a tool, modding the phone ends up quit easy (but not for a novice).
Maybe it is Samsung or Android or the combo, but I see why it is so popular (speaking as a long time BlackBerry user).
After I escape from the newbie realm, I will look forward to some custom hacks :cool:
Thanks again so much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech