New Swype Keyboard with LI3 upgrade

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I really like the new Swype keyboard, but has anyone been able to use Handwriting mode on the new keyboard? I enabled it in settings but I can't find a button to activate it. The speech to text button is in an unusual place but I eventually found it, but no button for handwriting. I appreciate any help out there.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
2 ways to get the speech to text button. While the KB is visible:

1) Hit the menu button on the bottom left and you get 8 options, 1 of which is "speak" with a microphone icon
2) There is a small up arrow in the middle just below the message box (if you are texting). If you press it, it goes into a full screen mode which has a microphone icon.

Now how about the handwriting button?

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If/when I get the update and I already have Swype installed, what happens?

Will there be there duplicate Swype keyboards or will Swype be totally fubar?

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
If/when I get the update and I already have Swype installed, what happens?

Will there be there duplicate Swype keyboards or will Swype be totally fubar?

I am not sure. For me, the upgrade actually defaulted to the Samsung keyboard and I had to switch to the Swype keyboard which was an option in Language and Input in Settings. Guess you will find out soon enough. :)

---------- Post Merged at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:06 AM ----------

1) Hit the menu button on the bottom left and you get 8 options, 1 of which is "speak" with a microphone icon
2) There is a small up arrow in the middle just below the message box (if you are texting). If you press it, it goes into a full screen mode which has a microphone icon.

Gator, I forgot that I use Handcent as my messaging program and my response to you to find the speech to text button was based on that program. The menu and screen options are probably different than the standard texting program. I don't think that there is an actual keyboard button for either text to speech or handwriting in Swype.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have Swype beta installed. This one in the update looks much sexier than this ugly ass beta but how's the functionality? The beta is much better than the one pre-installed last time I checked.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I have Swype beta installed. This one in the update looks much sexier than this ugly ass beta but how's the functionality? The beta is much better than the one pre-installed last time I checked.

No key for "speech to text" or handwriting. I registered with Swype to install the beta but it failed to install because it recognized that I had a Swype keyboard already installed.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yeah, I had the beta installed too and I liked the speech to text option. The handwriting I can live without but my guess is that Samsung took it out because it wants you to use svoice which is nowhere near as accurate.

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
No key for "speech to text" or handwriting. I registered with Swype to install the beta but it failed to install because it recognized that I had a Swype keyboard already installed.

Actually, it says the latest version is already installed (which of course, it is not). I took it one step further and uninstalled the stock version of Swype using TiBackup. I then used Swype Beta Installer to download and install v1.1.1 - Swype Beta didn't do anything but FC every 2 seconds. I uninstalled the Beta and restored the stock v1.0.7x from my backup.

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Yup, Swype Beta appears to have been supplanted by the new ROM-based implementation. Yup, Dragon Dictate appears to be gone. And yup, the beta installer refuses to install the latest beta over this new ROM-based jobber.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The handwriting button is to the left of the space bar.you have to hold it then slide to the T with the pencil next to it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
The handwriting button is to the left of the space bar.you have to hold it then slide to the T with the pencil next to it. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Slll using TapaTalk!

This button works well on the stock Samsung keyboard but is conspicuously missing from the new stock Swype keyboard.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I researched the solution and found it. I am using the Samsung Beta Swype keyboard now and it works great along with keys for handwriting and "speech to text". This will work for only rooted phones because you need to access files from root. I moved the 3 original files to my SD card so if I want to uninstall Swype Beta, I can replace all the original files.

1. Go to Settings/Language and input and set Samsung as your default keyboard (if it is not already)
2. Open your favorite root file manager (I use Root Browser by Jrummy (thank you)) Make sure your file system is set to R/W.
3. Delete or move \system\app\swype.apk (Moving these files to a safe location is best solution so that you can move them back at a later time)
4. Delete or move \data\dalvik-cache\system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex (might be .odex depending on your ROM)
5. Delete or move \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Reboot
7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer
8. Go to Settings/Language and input and set Swype Beta as your default keyboard (Voila)

If you get FC's after installing Swype BETA then remove Swype and the Swype Installer under Manage Apps, re-boot and install the BETA again. Might be some stuff left over from the old version that can cause this problem. Mine worked fine though with no FCs.

Source: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1424457

Enjoy.

Last edited:

ammaralo

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This is so stupid. They took away our beta, and gave us a version that is less advanced. WTF? No speech to text? Why did this disappear?

Anyone know a way we can do this without rooting or installing handcent?

Frustrated....

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it says the latest version is already installed (which of course, it is not). I took it one step further and uninstalled the stock version of Swype using TiBackup. I then used Swype Beta Installer to download and install v1.1.1 - Swype Beta didn't do anything but FC every 2 seconds. I uninstalled the Beta and restored the stock v1.0.7x from my backup.

I did the same as you and my phone did as well, but the force-closes stopped after I rebooted (had to pull the battery). Glad to have my speech-to-text button back!

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
HUh? Not getting this!!!

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Can't find any of what you speak of. Can you do screen shots?

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This is so stupid. They took away our beta, and gave us a version that is less advanced. WTF? No speech to text? Why did this disappear?

Anyone know a way we can do this without rooting or installing handcent?

Frustrated....

This is SO stupid. Just when I start to love Samsung, they remind me to hate them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome