LI3 Update Just Popped Up - Should I update?

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I just received a notification that the latest update is now available (LI3). I have been reading the forums here and from what I've read some people are experiencing battery drain issues, bugs with the Sprint Battery Optimizer (not staying off) , new lock screen (no more water ripple?) new swype keyboard now not displaying the voice icon on keyboard (now in settings) and new swype keyboard not the android one (which I actually like) faster imo.

My question is what would you recommend? Are these issues happening widespread? Should I go forward with the update? I am stock, and so far I am in love with my battery usage. On stand by it drains less than 1% per every 1 1/2 hours! I am at 89% right now with 9 hours off charge (mostly stand by) I wake up at 7 am to it goes till 10 pm then the battery is almost dead and add the extra 8 hours at night my phone is off the charger in stand by so usually stays on for 20-24 hours total.

Any thoughts or suggestions is deeply appreciated. I read a lot of people think the battery optimizer eats the battery and for me I have never turned it off and so far I am happy with it on knowing I still get the battery life results above.

Another question, can I still have the option to use the stock android keyboard that has swype pre-installed? This is how the phone came and I got it 2 weeks ago. Or does it make me use the sywpe keyboard as the default with no option of going back to stock android keyboard with swype?

LAST QUESTION, if I skip this update will it be ok if I get the next update and just bypass this one and others? Like if I want to get Jelly Bean, Do I have to get each one of these updates? Or when JB releases will I just go straight to that one?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have not seen any battery drain.

But really no one can tell you to upgrade or not. I can tell you that the optimizer does turn off. It just turns back on every time you go back in. So turn it off and forget about it. As for the other issues or complaints such as the Swype keyboard, those are for everyone. You just need to decide for yourself if it's worth it. It if the changes would effect your enjoyment or usability of the phone don't do it.

Lawrence76taylor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any big improvement with this updated, so if you're not having any issues i would stay where you're at. The only thing i really like is the Swype is a lot more accurate, but it sucks that the Mikeis gone.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! I am honestly just scared this will give me Android OS drain or something will bad will happen. But it does get annoying that I have to keep hitting the install later button all day lol.

Another question, can I still have the option to use the stock android keyboard that has swype pre-installed? This is how the phone came and I got it 2 weeks ago. Or does it make me use the sywpe keyboard as the default with no option of going back to stock android keyboard with swype?

LAST QUESTION, if I skip this update will it be ok if I get the next update and just bypass this one and others? Like if I want to get Jelly Bean, Do I have to get each one of these updates? Or when JB releases will I just go straight to that one?

Last edited:

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Updates are progressive. Meaning if you don't update to this one. You won't get the next one.

I didn't know that. I want to stay on my current ROM plus my area isn't even upgraded yet anyway so I don't see the point. I was hoping to wait until that happens. I could manually push a later update if I skip this right? I just won't get a notification?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know that. I want to stay on my current ROM plus my area isn't even upgraded yet anyway so I don't see the point. I was hoping to wait until that happens. I could manually push a later update if I skip this right? I just won't get a notification?

Yeah... I'm like you i like the rom I'm on. Never make a decision based on an ota. You can always get updated.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Do you know how I can stop the notification from popping up? I didn't see the option.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you know how I can stop the notification from popping up? I didn't see the option.

If you are rooted and have a custom recovery, accept the update. Your phone will reboot into recovery, let it try to install. When it fails, reboot phone. It will not bother you again.

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I went ahead and updated last night. So far everything is great. Couldn't resist any longer. Texting is much better. The swype keyboard is great but no mic option makes me go back to the Samsung Keyboard. Battery seeming the same.

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
So its been a day without notifications so I guess it worked.
Thanks man!

saleen2002

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
i have the update notification on my s3 also. why should i update if it adds swype and an lte fix ? i dont have lte in my area and probably wont for a long time.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
i have the update notification on my s3 also. why should i update if it adds swype and an lte fix ? i dont have lte in my area and probably wont for a long time.

First of all, love your avatar! Secondly, do the current OTA. The Jelly Bean OTA will be out very soon and Sprint will want you to have the latest update in order to pass on the next one. There is really no downside to activating it. A choice of another keyboard and a few minor upgrades. You will just have to reboot and you are back.

pjg5571

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to mention if you do not like the new swype w/o the mic, you can install swype beta installer instead from Swype | Text Input for Screens. You may need to be rooted because I had to use titanium backup to uninstall the swype that was on the system. I then downloaded the beta swype installer (they send you a code in email to access the download), enabled it and set it as the default. Back to having swype with microphone. You can try and get this if you are not rooted, but mine wouldn't install properly until I removed Swype.

Edit: Was trying to be helpful to the person wanting speech to text swype. I did not realize there was a separate thread on this topic a few topics down on main forum. This was the first thread I opened. {{ Slaps self upside the head, muttering check b4 posting}}

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci