Bricked Phones

kailasmitty

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I need help! I know we dont take bricked phones lightly around here.. So, being a complete noob to all this - I will allow you to tell me if my phone is the b word!

I just purchased a used Samsung Galaxy Note 1 - Model SHG-i717R (Rogers - Canada)only a few hours ago. The phone was owned by a kid, who advertised it as rooted and unlocked. I only really needed the unlocked part! Put my SIM in at it worked. Got home,boyfriend looked at it and the counter was already at 5 and the binary read "custom". The model number in the phone info read something like N7005 (if that makes any sense - it didn't match the model # on the back of the phone). The boyfriend decided he was going to install the original rom on it which he downloaded from sammobile, specifically for Rogers - Canada. He attempted the update in Odin, and it failed (twice). After it failed the screen stated the following:

ODIN MODE
Product Name: SGH-i717R
Custom Binary Download: YES(5 counts)
Current Binary: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE. PLEASE SELECT RECOVERY MODE IN KIES & TRY AGAIN.

Tried Kies, but it wouldn't recognize the phone.

He attempted to get the phone back into download mode with no luck.

When you pull the battery and put it back in and press the power button it does vibrate - but then shows that above mentioned screen. Also, when connected via USB to computer it makes the connected noise, and searches for the drivers but can't find them.

So, question is - am I bricked (soft or hard)? And, if not - is there a way to fix this?!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I need help! I know we dont take bricked phones lightly around here.. So, being a complete noob to all this - I will allow you to tell me if my phone is the b word!

I just purchased a used Samsung Galaxy Note 1 - Model SHG-i717R (Rogers - Canada)only a few hours ago. The phone was owned by a kid, who advertised it as rooted and unlocked. I only really needed the unlocked part! Put my SIM in at it worked. Got home,boyfriend looked at it and the counter was already at 5 and the binary read "custom". The model number in the phone info read something like N7005 (if that makes any sense - it didn't match the model # on the back of the phone). The boyfriend decided he was going to install the original rom on it which he downloaded from sammobile, specifically for Rogers - Canada. He attempted the update in Odin, and it failed (twice). After it failed the screen stated the following:

ODIN MODE
Product Name: SGH-i717R
Custom Binary Download: YES(5 counts)
Current Binary: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

FIRMWARE UPGRADE ENCOUNTERED AN ISSUE. PLEASE SELECT RECOVERY MODE IN KIES & TRY AGAIN.

Tried Kies, but it wouldn't recognize the phone.

He attempted to get the phone back into download mode with no luck.

When you pull the battery and put it back in and press the power button it does vibrate - but then shows that above mentioned screen. Also, when connected via USB to computer it makes the connected noise, and searches for the drivers but can't find them.

So, question is - am I bricked (soft or hard)? And, if not - is there a way to fix this?!

Thanks in advance!

Can you get into recovery? How is he trying to get into download mode?

kailasmitty

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know we can't get into any screen, and now the battery is dead from trying so much. It did allow us to the Triangle page where you then select volume up to continue or volume down to exit. Once you select continue it goes right back to the same screen... I believe he was pressing and holding volume buttons and the power button. Everything we have looked at online has the home screen button in the directions - but we dont have a home button.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know we can't get into any screen, and now the battery is dead from trying so much. It did allow us to the Triangle page where you then select volume up to continue or volume down to exit. Once you select continue it goes right back to the same screen... I believe he was pressing and holding volume buttons and the power button. Everything we have looked at online has the home screen button in the directions - but we dont have a home button.

I'm not familiar with your phone as you are really on the wrong forum. But i would say that your boyfriend owes you a phone. If you can't get into download mode you are pretty much stuck.

Check you pm's.

Ranvir Sahota

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know if you think my phone is bricked or not. I installed Rom manger(on my phone) and SuperOneClick (on my coumputor) to root my phone after I finished the steps required to root my phone SuperOneClick made a message saying my phone has been successfully rooted. When I turned my phone off and on and when I attempted to turn it on after truing it off it wouldn't boot up it was just stuck on the boot loading screen and when I tried to do a factory reset the screen turned purple.
Below is a link where it describes my phone and has it's picture and model.
Huawei-IDEOS-X1-0-jpg.jpg

This is the website I used to get my instructions

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is the Sprint, Samsung Galaxy S3 rooting forum. You're not likely to find a lot of knowledge about a different model of phone on T-Mobile. But if the phone will turn-on, it's probably not truly bricked. How to go about fixing it is another question, however, and not one I can answer for you. By the way, I don't see any links in your post.

IvicaK

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I hope U can help me out.
I have LG p690, and 4008 error in KDZ, after that even emergency mode want turn on, phone is not reacting in any way...is there way to bring it to life, or I can call it bricked?
Thanks in advance.

ivica.kolacko@gmail.com

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is a forum for the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy S3, so I don't think you'll find much expertise about LG phones. But if you can't boot into either recovery or download modes (and I have no idea how to do that on your LG phone), then you're most likely bricked.

James Green3

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
tried this with many different roms ranging from the original stock rom to custom roms in recovery, it says installing, but one second later it finishes and when i go to reboot it says "no os installed" nothing will install correctly. Even tried to install all these in .tar files thru odin and every single one fails every time. Ever since the first rom failed thru odin i cant even get into recovery anymore.. when i go to get into recovery instead of loading it the phone just says "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in kies and try again." Usb debugging was never checked before i lost my os, maybe this has something to do with it? So now that i cant get into recovery and odin always fails how can i install a rom? Even tried to reinstall a recovery thu odin and that fails aswell.

Thadd Valeika

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I hard bricked my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 a few days ago. i dont want to spend money on a USB JIG even though its like $5.00 on ebay, just in case it wont work. i flashed a kernel that wasnt meant for my phone and it told me to go into TWRP menu and tap "reboot recovery" i did that and nothing happened. i tried to go into recovery mode. wont do it. download mode? wont do it. but, when i take the battery out and hook it up to my computer the LED lights up red and i hear a connection sound to my computer and says QHSUSB_DLOAD found and when i try and install the drivers it says that the wizard could not find the specified drivers and wont install anything. my phone is not recognized by Odin either. i have looked all over the internet and cannot find the drivers that it wants me to install but i go on XDA and there are people who have had the same exact thing happen to them and they somehow found the driver download on Google somewhere, installed them on their PC and now get a COM10 box in yellow that shows up on Odin. then after about a minute my LED light turns off. do you know anywhere i can find them drivers?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion would be to ask those folks on XDA where they found the drivers. I'm not aware of anyway to repair the phone, other than perhaps a jig, if you can't get into recovery or download.

Seriously, though, you have a $500 phone and can't spend $5 to try to fix it?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I hard bricked my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 a few days ago. i dont want to spend money on a USB JIG even though its like $5.00 on ebay, just in case it wont work. i flashed a kernel that wasnt meant for my phone and it told me to go into TWRP menu and tap "reboot recovery" i did that and nothing happened. i tried to go into recovery mode. wont do it. download mode? wont do it. but, when i take the battery out and hook it up to my computer the LED lights up red and i hear a connection sound to my computer and says QHSUSB_DLOAD found and when i try and install the drivers it says that the wizard could not find the specified drivers and wont install anything. my phone is not recognized by Odin either. i have looked all over the internet and cannot find the drivers that it wants me to install but i go on XDA and there are people who have had the same exact thing happen to them and they somehow found the driver download on Google somewhere, installed them on their PC and now get a COM10 box in yellow that shows up on Odin. then after about a minute my LED light turns off. do you know anywhere i can find them drivers?

I'm not going to sugarcoat this... If you can't get into download mode you are done with. Period... Odin will not recognize your phone if you are not in download mode. Period... Install all the drivers you what , it won't be fixed with drivers. There are several places that will fix your phone for you but they aren't free, most cost between $30 -$50. Or you can spend the money on the JTAG and try it yourself.

Toryn Green

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

I'm in desperate need of some assistance. I am very much a noob when it comes to custom roms, so please be gentle. I rooted my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 using Odin 3. I then decided to try out crDroid V14. This is when the problems began. I made it through the boot/recovery menu and into the actual crDroid Installation Menu. I went through and selected all of my installation options and clicked Install. The phone ran through a process that appeared to be the installation. A message came up that my phone was going to reboot, however it never did. It powered down and that was it. I will add that my battery was very low during this time. The phone will not turn on at all, so getting back in to flash back to stock isn't appearing to be an option at this point.

I have attempted plugging the phone in to the USB cord and connecting it to my computer. The only thing that happens is a short sound on the computer signifying that the device is connected, however when going into the device manager, the only thing that shows is QHSUSB_DLOAD.

I truly believe that my phone is hard bricked and I'm really hoping that you guys are able to prove me wrong.

Any advice on what I can try to get it up and running other than using a JTAG service through MTV or similar?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice and understanding.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A quick Google search seems to indicate that this ROM is for the international version (i9300) of the Galaxy S3, not the Sprint version. Yes, you are hard bricked. No, there's no way to repair your existing phone other than with a jtag device.

The best piece of advice I can give a noob to rooting is READ, READ, READ. Be positive you know what your doing before you start. Had you researched carefully, you would have learned that not all Galaxy S3's are the same, and every carrier's version requires a different ROM. Trying to put an AT&T ROM on a Verizon phone, or any other mismatch, will turn your phone into an expensive door stop.

In the future, if it's not stated with absolute certainty that a ROM is for the Sprint L710 version of the S3, stay away. In fairness to you, I looked at the XDA thread for this ROM and nowhere does it really state that it's for the international version of the phone. ROM makers need to be much more responsible when it comes to labeling their products.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I'm in desperate need of some assistance. I am very much a noob when it comes to custom roms, so please be gentle. I rooted my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 using Odin 3. I then decided to try out crDroid V14. This is when the problems began. I made it through the boot/recovery menu and into the actual crDroid Installation Menu. I went through and selected all of my installation options and clicked Install. The phone ran through a process that appeared to be the installation. A message came up that my phone was going to reboot, however it never did. It powered down and that was it. I will add that my battery was very low during this time. The phone will not turn on at all, so getting back in to flash back to stock isn't appearing to be an option at this point.

I have attempted plugging the phone in to the USB cord and connecting it to my computer. The only thing that happens is a short sound on the computer signifying that the device is connected, however when going into the device manager, the only thing that shows is QHSUSB_DLOAD.

I truly believe that my phone is hard bricked and I'm really hoping that you guys are able to prove me wrong.

Any advice on what I can try to get it up and running other than using a JTAG service through MTV or similar?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice and understanding.

Meyer said it best, the only thing I would add is if you are unsure ask. If on forums like XDA, or here, it only takes a couple minutes to register, and then, once done, you are free to ask all questions you have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol