S3 Radio quality?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've read, on some forum threads for other brands, comments that the radios on Samsung phones aren't great, and connection quality and strength are not as good as with other phones. Any comments or thoughts on this?

Please don't take this as an attack on your favorite phone and get all defensive. I'm looking for information to make a phone choice, not choose a religion.

Thanks,

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The S3 connects better then all the other phones i have had and have on my account.

Damn auto correct. You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I really think its hit and miss across the board.
Lots of people do complain about signal reception issues and i would have to believe some of them are legit.
Mine has been great. But i also remember back to my original Epic and how flashing different modems would help or hinder reception.
FlashForward to the Epic Touch where some updates killed GPS.. Flash another radio and its fixed.
I have to believe that they really need to fine tune their hardware and software. OR get better quality control on the assembly lines.

coop486

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I definitely see a decrease in signal strength from the Motorola Photon 4G to the Samsung Galaxy S. I never dropped a call with my Photon on my daily commute, and now there are numerous places on my daily commute where I loose signal. I think this is related to Samsung devices. My wife had the Nexus S 4G and we would be standing right next to each other and she would have 4 bars less than me in the same location.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
That's actually what I'd heard about Samsung - terrible radio/GPS quality. I was very hesitant to get the S3. However, the US S3 uses a Qualcomm SoC to provide the radios, so we're not depending on Samsung's in-house radios. That fact changed my mind, and I took the plunge.

Compared to my Evo 4G, my S3 has similar, if not slightly better, reception. GPS is almost instantaneous in proper conditions (takes a while indoors, but that should be expected), and I haven't had loss of signal at all. All in all, I'm perfectly happy with the radios in the S3.

coop486

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That's actually what I'd heard about Samsung - terrible radio/GPS quality. I was very hesitant to get the S3. However, the US S3 uses a Qualcomm SoC to provide the radios, so we're not depending on Samsung's in-house radios. That fact changed my mind, and I took the plunge.

Compared to my Evo 4G, my S3 has similar, if not slightly better, reception. GPS is almost instantaneous in proper conditions (takes a while indoors, but that should be expected), and I haven't had loss of signal at all. All in all, I'm perfectly happy with the radios in the S3.

GPS quality has been the best I've seen on any phone I've used. Quick signal lock.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on Sprint

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It seems to have issues with a weak signal, moreso than my Optimus S did. This is not to say that the radio is weak per se - call quality is fine everywhere I've tried it - but when dealing with something blocking the signal (I work in what's essentially a metal box), it seems to glitch a bit on the data connection and drops it frequently (my theory being that it has something to do with the 4G signal in the area being weak, as it won't actually connect to 4G in there, but that would explain why it's dropping it's 3G connection like it is - but this is just pure speculation so it could be other things).

If you do live in an area with decent coverage, particularly with LTE coverage, I'd say the radios should be fine. I'll be taking mine down to Austin later in the month, so I can give a bit of a road trip review on how the radio handles compared to others.

jimatssf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My gs3 not as good as my old lg phone.i got data connection error at my office, which has never happen with my old phone. I have tried couple of ways to improve that but failed.
I went to Sprint and got an air ave for free. And the air ave doesn't work either. It seems my office had weak Sprint signal. Now i let it roam to Verizon, which is 3 bar on gs3.so this could be both Sprint and gs3 combination thing.
Hope this helps.

ivtec21

May 3, 2012
Visit site
My radio in my S3 stopped working all together.....had to order a new phone, kept getting the circle with a slash where the signal bars was supposed to be, even the sprint tech was baffled that it wouldn't connect at all.

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The radio in my GS3 is a little worse than my last phone (Samsung Seek). That sucks, too, because I'm in the dead-center of a residential zone so I'm just out of good range of the cell towers and my house is super old and has two-inch thick walls inside. This house is practically a Faraday cage. Sprint customer support said (about a month ago...) they'd be mailing me a little cellular hotspot for my house that plugs into my home network to fix that, but until then I can't make calls inside the house. I used to barely be able to make calls inside with my Seek.

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Radio quality for me is much better than with my Optimus S. Where I live the Sprint signal is a pretty weak, but with the S3 it picks up a lot better and gives me solid 3G download speeds...I haven't had much of an issue with it at all, and I usually turn off 4G to save battery and since most places I go don't have it yet but will by June.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007