Phone turning itself off randomly

starsofthelid

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had the S3 since its release. No major problems up until this one a few days ago. I'll leave my phone sitting somewhere, I go back to pick it up and it's completely off. Battery levels are fine.

Tried taking the battery out and restarting, and this is still happening.

I thought maybe the batter is loose and coming off the contacts, but I've tossed it around a bit and it stays on. Can't be overheating, the phone doesn't seem hot at all compared to the temperature it gets when running numerous apps.

Anyone else have this issue? Might have to take it back in. :(

medeski7

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I was having this problem last week. It would shut itself down every couple of days and enter a coma. The only way to get it back on was to remove the battery and replace it. Sometimes it would happen a few times in a day, and sometimes it would happen only once a week.

I called Verizon and they asked me to run the phone in safe mode to see if the problem persisted. Basically to see if it was an app issue or a hardware issue. The phone ran fine in safe mode for a couple of days and then it started doing it again.

I contacted Verizon again to provide them an update. They concluded that it must be a hardware problem and sent me a new phone. When I say "new" I mean the phone they sent had a wrapper and sticker on it that said "certified like new replacement." So for all I know I got a refurb from someone else with a similar issue.

On the positive side, Verizon has been working with me to correct the problem without me having to go to a Verizon store. They've paid all shipping charges as well. I activated my new phone and have had it for only one day. So far so good, but we'll have to see as time passes.

My advice would be to create a tech history report ASAP. That way, if you do need to get a replacement they will have a record of your problem. Hope we get this fixed. I'm told this was a common issue on the GS2.

medeski7

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Well here I am, a hour later to report that my replacement phone has done this for the first time. Here on just the second day of owning it. Time to consider going back to HTC. I never have had problems like this with any other Android device.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well here I am, a hour later to report that my replacement phone has done this for the first time. Here on just the second day of owning it. Time to consider going back to HTC. I never have had problems like this with any other Android device.

With no apps installed?

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site

Yeah good luck with that, I had the same problem with my Evo 3D. Not to mention the other problems I had with the following 2 replacements. In the end I just stopped caring because I knew I was getting the S3 in less than a month.

Seb132

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
When i turn my phone on, after 2 seconds, it turns off, then turns on and then on and off and on and off and on and off and so on.........
HELP PLEASE!PLEASE!!!!!!!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you have a case? If so, take it off and make sure it's not pressing on the power button.

Has the phone always done this, or did it just start?
If the phone is brand new and it's doing this, take it back.
If it used to work and this just started, what changed recently? Did you install any apps, or try to root, or change any configuration options?

If the answer to the above is nothing has changed, then try pulling the battery, leaving it out for a few minutes, and see what happens when you restart.

Finally, if nothing else, try a factory reset. With the phone off, boot into recovery by pressing the power button, the home key, and volume up all at the same time. As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all three buttons.(if you release the buttons a little too early or too late, the phone will try to boot normally. Just power it down and try again.) Assuming you're not rooted you use the volume control keys to choose the factory reset menu option, then press the home key to select it.

If a factory reset doesn't fix it, then I'm afraid it's a hardware problem. Take it back to where you bought it, or go to Samsung's web site for warranty support.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you try any of the things suggested in the post above yours? If not, start there. Also, if you have an SD card, try removing it and see if that makes a difference. I had a bad card that caused my phone to shut down, and if I removed the card all was well.

If you've tried every above, try to provide us with some information to go on. Is your phone rooted? If so, what have you changed / flashed / deleted?
Did you recently install any new software? If so, uninstall it and see what happens.
Have you changed anything in settings recently, especially in developer settings?

What else might you have changed before this started happening?

Without information, there's little we can tell you.

Nyra Roddey

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC Inspire that turns off all the time, even in the middle of a text or something. It's a new phone i bought "grade C". I've had problems with other phones doing this before to me too. What the heck?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Recently, my phone has restarted itself in the middle of phone calls. It doesn't happen often, but enough to be annoying. No problem with low battery or anything else I can see. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Recently, my phone has restarted itself in the middle of phone calls. It doesn't happen often, but enough to be annoying. No problem with low battery or anything else I can see. Any suggestions?

Have you cleated cache in recovery?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No. It only happens maybe once every couple of weeks, so it's not a huge problem. Just annoying. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Gemma Morgan

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi got a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone have had it for a year us so its on contract and runs out next year.. But since then I haven't had no problems with it until three days ago the phone keeps knocking it self off and been charging it up when it's low battery in it and seems that got to take the battery out and put it back in and put it back on again it comes bk on then and for a few mins it goes off again so really don't know weather need a new battery or something is up with it could you help some how

Lisa Farney

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I hate to tell you but I have the HTC and mine is doing the same thing. It just shuts down for no reason. Fully charged. I just have to turn it back on again and enter password. It's a pain and thank god it's never done it while I was on it. Just when it's not being used sometimes I'll catch it because I hear it or feel it ( mine's on vibrate) any way. I wish I knew? I just know it's not the battery. :-\

I wish I could say it was but I don't even use the net on mine because I don't pay for a data plan however it's available, I just don't use want to pay for it. Still any way it could be a virus? ---> nit wit, when it comes to this tech. I'm old ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol