Calendar / Maps problem

PayDay99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I searched but couldn't find a thread on this. On my EVO, I could input an appt. in google calendar from my computer along with the address. Then I could pick up my phone in the car and touch the "target" icon next to the address and it would transfer to google maps and I could navigate to the location.

With the S3, when I try the exact same procedure, there is no "target" icon in the appointment on the s3, and the address isn't one hyperlink but a series of hyperlinks, e.g., 123 main street, anytown, ST 00000 . So when I touch any one of those, nothing transfers to maps.

I am happy with the s3 otherwise, but this is a major headache so far.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it and it works on GS3 just fine. I entered the entry from the computer just as you described. After saving my appointment, I opened up the calendar app on the phone and clicked on the appointment, it displayed Location with the hyperlinked address. When I clicked on the hyperlink, It then asked me if I wanted to use Maps or Telenav to navigate to my location. When I choose Google Maps, I get a map or directions. I am using the LIH leaked version of Jelly Bean so maybe it was added in JB but it works exactly as you described on your (cough cough) EVO.

PayDay99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying this. I bought two S3s at the same time for different lines and it doesn't work with either one so I guess I'm stuck with this issue until the update you have (unless someone else has a work around).

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Jelly Bean is coming pretty soon. If you are feeling adventurous, you can root your phone, and flash the latest leaked JB ROM. It really is stable and you will have a running JB phone in less than an hour with the calendar option you prefer and all the rest of the bells and whistles; Goggle Now, speedier interface, JB animations, and a really fun and functional phone. 3 months ago, I thought rooting was for the phone geeks, now I realize it's so simple, anyone can do it and enjoy the benefits.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying this. I bought two S3s at the same time for different lines and it doesn't work with either one so I guess I'm stuck with this issue until the update you have (unless someone else has a work around).

My stock phone works fine. When I tap on an appointment it takes me to the 'detail view', where I can tap on the address shown under 'Location'. That leads to a 'Complete action using' screen where I can use either Google Maps or Maps to get directions. Again, my phone is stock, not rooted. Don't understand why it won't seem to work for you. Maybe has to do with how you're entering addresses in your Calendar? Good luck with it.

Irishgator

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend double checking the syntax of his you have written the address. Sometimes it gets picky. Haven't nailed it down, but I usually check for commas after the street address and after the city...usually fixes it for me. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have this same issue in the stock touchwiz calendar. I didn't research any solutions but found that using another casket app works. I use Business Calendar. You can see how the casket entry's address doesn't have one consistent link, it has multiple ones. If i click on the zip code, it actually launches the phone app! uploadfromtaptalk1351259238976.jpg

So I'm interested in finding out what me and the original poster has different than the rest of you.

PayDay99

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend double checking the syntax of his you have written the address. Sometimes it gets picky. Haven't nailed it down, but I usually check for commas after the street address and after the city...usually fixes it for me. Good luck.

Thanks to kgilbertsen and Irishgator!!

I just tested this on one entry, but as soon as I took out the punctuation between the street and the city, it works as it should.

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I have this same issue in the stock touchwiz calendar. I didn't research any solutions but found that using another casket app works. I use Business Calendar. You can see how the casket entry's address doesn't have one consistent link, it has multiple ones. If i click on the zip code, it actually launches the phone app! View attachment 43151

So I'm interested in finding out what me and the original poster has different than the rest of you.

That's exactly how mine used to look before the punctuation solution.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, none of my calendar entries have punctuation (habit).
uploadfromtaptalk1351275240508.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1351275259977.jpg
As you can see, no punctuation in either the stock changes or Business Calendar. But when i open the entry in the stock calendar and choose edit, i can successfully click on the map it button and get this:
uploadfromtaptalk1351275368661.jpg

I will continue to use Business Calendar but unless you're referring to spaces, i have no punctuation. I even checked the desktop version of Google calendar.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
After updating manually to the official Sprint jelly bean firmware, I now have a consistent hyperlink in the stock calendar app! And I like the improvements they made.
uploadfromtaptalk1351309324159.jpg