Will i be able to update to jelly bean if my device is rooted?

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
a friend rooted my device for me i only use the root access to see emojis...will he need to unroot my device for me to receive ota update to jelly bean?

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Related question to clarify, if I'm running a custom ROM (FreeGS3), I need to revert to stock everything (recovery/rom) in order to receive the OTA update right?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Let me see if I can answer both of your questions...

If your phone is 100% Stock Unrooted without any of the required bloatware removed and stock recovery, you should be able to get the ota without issue. We have seen people completely stock still have issue however few.

If you are rooted, have the stock recovery and haven't deleted any files it's looking for, you will be able to accept the update but may lose root. Get the ota rootkeeper from the play store and save your root. you can also use it to temporarily disable root if it makes you feel better.

If you are rooted and have a stock rom with a custom recovery there will be a way (most likely within hours of the release) for you to update and keep root.

If you are on a custom rom there will no way for you to get the update until your rom's developer updates it.

Last edited:

Chief71

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Let me see if I can answer both of your questions...

If your phone is 100% Stock Unrooted without any of the required bloatware removed and stock recovery, you should be able to get the ota without issue. We have seen people completely stock still have issue however few.

If you are rooted, have the stock recovery and haven't deleted any files it's looking for, you will be able to accept the update but may lose root. Get the ota rootkeeper from the play store and save your root. you can also use it to temporarily disable root if it makes you feel better.

If you are rooted and have a stock rom with a custom recovery there will be a way (most likely within hours of the release) for you to update and keep root.

If you are on a custom rom there will no way for you to get the update until your rom's developer updates it.

I am rooted on the Spring GS3 with the Wicked Sensations ROM..if I install OTA Rootkeeper, can I update to Jelly Bean and then re-root to Wicked Sensations whenever I want? Or do I need to restore one of my earlier Nandroid backups?

Thanks for the help :)

smithe68

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this helps at all but, I rooted using the steps Skunkape60 posted, the one with the touch enabled recovery. Today, I manually downloaded the update for JB, used rootkeeper to backup root, then did the update. When it was done updating, it took me back to the touch enabled recovery, I chose to reboot and got a screen among me if I wanted to restore my root, I said yes and all is good. Everything works, updated to JB, root is good, battery life is good, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DOUBLEGUY

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem i have rooted my android 4.1.2 jellybean now how to update it

my device is a Samsung galaxy tab 2 gtp3100 4.1.2 jellybean

plz help

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think you'll have much better luck asking in the Galaxy Tab forum than the Galaxy S3 forum. Whatever you do, do NOT try to root using instructions for a different device than the one you own.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams