I've Got Jelly Bean on My GS3 and This Is What I Think!

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to open up a thread for those with the update while the other threads work on getting everyone to download the update.

I do find the "buttery goodness" of JB to have a noticeable impact on how the phone feels. I explained it to a friend that it almost seemed like the touch screen was perfectly clean and just felt better. Google Now seems very interesting and I will likely spend most of the weekend playing around with it. There are certainly more options/menus/settings that I can play with but so far I'm happy with the update.

I'd be curious to get the opinion of others regarding new features/settings they are using or other observations!

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed some new features in txt messaging,
1. You can now pic a custom background for txt messages instead of the built in ones
2. You can also mark messages as spam now
3. There's an option for message alert repetition ( I don't remember seeing that before)

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Bigchris,

Thanks for mentioning those points. Its funny that you did because those were a couple of things I found as well. The custom background pic I just noted when I updated to the one I had previously used. Additionally I changed the setting for alert repetition because with texts I like to know I have them. I did not remember that from before, but I wasn't sure if it was an update.

As for the S-Note/S-Memo, I also have S-Memo but I haven't used it much. I was wondering if S-Voice got an upgrade at all since I haven't used it, but I'm looking forward to Google Now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One thing I hate is the little arrows under wifi going away. Very very small complaint but I like knowing when my device is transferring data :x

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
One thing I hate is the little arrows under wifi going away. Very very small complaint but I like knowing when my device is transferring data :x

Im glad those things are gone. They were ugly as hell. If only they made it possible to change the toolbar icons color. I'd jump for joy

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I thought SMemo was being replaced with SNote.
I still have SMemo.

S-Note is a pretty large app for GS3 (works best with stylus and larger display) although I think some developers are trying to work with it for the GS3. It might be a while.

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Wichita, KS here, I received the update at exactly 6 this morning, and am enjoying everything about it! As much as I have been playing with all the new features, I still have 88% battery after 5 hours of use, which I am impressed with.. Thanks for the post about being able to change the messaging background, really digging that one.. The Touchwiz as a whole seems much smoother, and the phone overall is much faster, IMO..

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

I havent updated yet, but I agree with you that those arrows are useful to know if I need to further diagnose my connection.
__

Anyone test the official OTA with a car dock yet? Feedback on this would be great, especially concerning the audio out and charging.

ExTheGod

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I havent updated yet, but I agree with you that those arrows are useful to know if I need to further diagnose my connection.
__

Anyone test the official OTA with a car dock yet? Feedback on this would be great, especially concerning the audio out and charging.

I believe I saw in one of the other threads that someone tested it and said it was working fine

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Talk a while just to figure out where google now was. Didn't do it yet but now know where it is. Just tap on the google search bar and it will come up. Still playing around a bit and they fixed the "call standby" bug. Yea!!!!

Bcool

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that bothers me is it does seem to drain the battery faster. I see it is faster and some other minor improvements, but it seems like I am paying for it with battery. It was already pretty fast and I'm not sure if I like the trade off. Perhaps it enabled some programs I disabled? Is that something the update would do? Looking at the battery drain I don't see anything out of whack or much different from what it was before. I do notice that texts vibrate much more strongly now so I was wondering if there was a way to decrease the vibration intensity. Also google now running and watching I would guess would use a little but to me it seems noticeably faster draining.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
bdc give it a few more cycles in the battery before judging the battery life. I have noticed that every time there is an update the battery isn't good for the first few cycles.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
BDC1974 - As ATL10PNR mentioned, it definitely takes a few cycles to figure out what the actual battery life is going to be. I've seen this since the days of the Evo, S2 and now my S3. Any Android update tends to create a period of a few days where battery life isn't exactly what you want it to be, but it does get back to where it was. Ive noticed that the actual RAM usage appears to have gone down since the LI3 update (I kept seeing between 700-800MB up to 1.1GB with usage, after clearing I'm mid to low 600s). I do expect Google Now to take away a little battery, but that remains to be seen. My usage patterns are very consistent, and I have reset my average life in GSam Battery Monitor to see if I improve. I went down with LI3 (1d 2-3hrs to 1d 1hr) just a little bit, expect it to hold steady or maybe improve.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You can set your vibration intensity in the sound menu in settings.

The one thing that bothers me is it does seem to drain the battery faster. I see it is faster and some other minor improvements, but it seems like I am paying for it with battery. It was already pretty fast and I'm not sure if I like the trade off. Perhaps it enabled some programs I disabled? Is that something the update would do? Looking at the battery drain I don't see anything out of whack or much different from what it was before. I do notice that texts vibrate much more strongly now so I was wondering if there was a way to decrease the vibration intensity. Also google now running and watching I would guess would use a little but to me it seems noticeably faster draining.

- - - Updated - - -

I flashed a JB rom a couple of weeks ago and this was one thing I was super excited about... I'm ALWAYS changing positions from sitting up to laying down or whatever, and I HATE when the phone turns the screen! lol...

There is a new Display setting Smart Rotation, which if works will keep the phone from rotating when laying in bed. Hope it works.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm McLovin' it so far. Like having a Big Mac with extra cheese and special sauce!

I noticed a few things:

On the lock screen at the top, it now says Sprint. Also noticed it says Sprint at the bottom of the notification curtain....I thought JB was removing all but 5 of the setting buttons in the notification area...but ALL seem to be there intact which is awsome!

So far phone is buttery smooth without the slipperyness and has been a joy so far. Really pleased with this update. Now we just need to get 4.2 on here before Xmas that I've read about.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I found some major battery drain. I then restarted the phone and it went away.

Damn auto correct. You always end up posting some thong you didn't Nintendo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang