I've Got Jelly Bean on My GS3 and This Is What I Think!

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and say that neither of us are crazy and it did get bigger. Really not a huge deal, but glad to know at least it appears that way to others.

Overall I'm liking the feel of Jelly Bean, I'm a fan of the effort that was put into "Project Butter". While I know someone wasn't a fan of the new folders, I actually like them. The larger icons do a good job of triggering what some of the items inside are.

I'm with you on the "project butter" smoothness, too. I'm impressed with the increased speed and slicker transitions. As for the folders, I'm glad that old style is gone; they were annoying. I really like this new folder style, a marked improvement!

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I wish Google Now would allow me to enter College sports! And I wish you could map Google Now to the double press of the home button instead of S Voice.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I wish Google Now would allow me to enter College sports! And I wish you could map Google Now to the double press of the home button instead of S Voice.

I'd like to see that as well. I wouldn't be surprise if that gets added as Google Now continues to evolve. I'm liking it so far. I just through a button on my home screen for Google Now. Someone mentioned adding it to the Lockscreen so that you can swipe directly into Google Now.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see that as well. I wouldn't be surprise if that gets added as Google Now continues to evolve. I'm liking it so far. I just through a button on my home screen for Google Now. Someone mentioned adding it to the Lockscreen so that you can swipe directly into Google Now.

Google now is on the home button...long hold. It's the middle button.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

UltraDSA

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Google now is on the home button...long hold. It's the middle button.

Google Now is accessed even faster on the Menu button (long press). Rather then holding the middle button to get to the Google Now button, the menu button directly launches Google Now. The Google Now icon is supposed to display from a bottom swipe up but the menu long press is even faster because your not doing 2 steps to launch.

Biga173rd

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Man Loving the all the new features witch of course all of you guys have mentioned. Battery life is slightly a little more higher and I did notice on the stock browser there is now a back and forward arrow witch is cool and it's even more faster and flash still works that's a plus. Also hopefully in the future with the next realese they will bring back the wifi arrows and make the screen a little more darker not feeling the gray no big deal. Everything overall is just buttery smooth i have no major complaints. The GS3 was already a beast this update makes it a beast on steriods lol. :D

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Man Loving the all the new features witch of course all of you guys have mentioned. Battery life is slightly a little more higher and I did notice on the stock browser there is now a back and forward arrow witch is cool and it's even more faster and flash still works that's a plus. Also hopefully in the future with the next realese they will bring back the wifi arrows and make the screen a little more darker not feeling the gray no big deal. Everything overall is just buttery smooth i have no major complaints. The GS3 was already a beast this update makes it a beast on steriods lol. :D

After completely re-formatting my SD card and doing a factory reset on my phone last night, the battery life is on par if not, better than ICS!! I suggest everyone start backing up their files and doing this if you have any type of battery problems or weirdness on your S3 after your update.

Last edited:

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Swipe up doesn't launch Google now for me in any instance.....

I also can't launch it this way. I want to because it reminds me of webOS and its easy to access from any app.

Most have moved on making your gripe a none issue. Please join us... MOVE ON!
I share this gripe. I would've bought the 32gb version instead of spending on my sd card. While it's an issue, it's not one that I have struggled with.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
After completely re-formatting my SD card and doing a factory reset on my phone last night, the battery life is on par if not, better than ICS!! I suggest everyone start backing up there files and doing this if you have any type of battery problems or weirdness on your S3 after your update.

This is really what I'm trying to avoid. As much as I understand this works, and it has in the past, I'd rather not go ahead and reformat everything on the phone. Between progress in various games, all of the settings/layouts, widgets, apps, etc that I have installed, its just too much work to do it again, and I'm sick of losing all my info. This is really the only thing that I think is better with the iPhone software, that all backups include this app data information. And yes, I know I can root and save, reformat, reroot and then reinstall my apps and data. Just not interested in doing that again.

I'm hoping a battery pull, battery re-calibration, and a couple of charging cycles will help things along.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
After completely re-formatting my SD card and doing a factory reset on my phone last night, the battery life is on par if not, better than ICS!! I suggest everyone start backing up there files and doing this if you have any type of battery problems or weirdness on your S3 after your update.

I have done a factory reset today, although I had installed JB after a factory reset but I haven't reformatted my sd card and don't understand the correlation. Can you explain how you reformatted and what you did with the files you needed to save in the meantime? I have clockworkmod backups and a crap-ton of pictures and music that I don't want to lose...give me a tutorial?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have done a factory reset today, although I had installed JB after a factory reset but I haven't reformatted my sd card and don't understand the correlation. Can you explain how you reformatted and what you did with the files you needed to save in the meantime? I have clockworkmod backups and a crap-ton of pictures and music that I don't want to lose...give me a tutorial?

Copy all of your pictures, music and files to your computer. Install EaseUSPartitionMaster on your computer. Insert card in card reader. Open partition master. Choose go to main screen. Choose you sd card. Choose format partition on the left. Choose your file system (fat32). Choose ok. In the upper right corner choose apply.

When complete copy only what you need back to the phone. You should always store you pictures on your computer and not your phone. If you want to access your pictures from your phone there is always dropbox. As for music and other files you need. copy it back to your sdcard and re-install in your phone.

EaseUSPartitionMaster

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Copy all of your pictures, music and files to your computer. Install EaseUSPartitionMaster on your computer. Insert card in card reader. Open partition master. Choose go to main screen. Choose you sd card. Choose format partition on the left. Choose your file system (fat32). Choose ok. In the upper right corner choose apply.

When complete copy only what you need back to the phone. You should always store you pictures on your computer and not your phone. If you want to access your pictures from your phone there is always dropbox. As for music and other files you need. copy it back to your sdcard and re-install in your phone.

EaseUSPartitionMaster

Thank you!! I'm considering getting a bigger card so I will do this tomorrow and to the new one.

I have absolutely no idea which files the phone needs me to keep in the card, is it safe to keep just the music and photos? I know I need my backups... will changing the format of the card mess up my backups?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!! I'm considering getting a bigger card so I will do this tomorrow and to the new one.

I have absolutely no idea which files the phone needs me to keep in the card, is it safe to keep just the music and photos? I know I need my backups... will changing the format of the card mess up my backups?

Good question... If you have ringtones or such on your sd card, they of course will need to be there. Backups with Titanium back up you will want. Just copy the TitaniumBackup Folder back to the sdcard and your set. Nandroid Backups you may also want to save. Copy the entire clockworkmod folder back to your sdcard as well. Music files the same way.

There are NO system files stored on the sdcard that you will need. And since we all know by now that apps aren't moved to your sd card, there is really nothing that absolutely needs to be there.

Just think of your sdcard (on this phone) as just a big storage shed to store all your stuff. Some are just more organized than others. :D

Formating the card will of course delete anything on the card. However the file system doesn't make a difference on what can be put on it. You can copy your files back to your sdcard no matter which file system its formatted to.

All 64gb sdcards are formatted with the exfat file system. While your gs3 will read and write to exfat, recovery will not. So if you plan on flashing anything in recovery you file system needs to be fat32.

Here is a very basic explaination of the file systems. File systems are made up of millions of what's called clusters. You can only put 1 file on each cluster but a large file can span hundreds of clusters. But since you can't put more than one file on a cluster, the smaller the clusters, the more efficient the file system.

Let me explain it like this. if you have a 2 kb file and your file system has clusters that are 50kb in size you have just wasted 48 kbs because only 1 file can be put on a cluster. Now if your cluster was smaller lets say 5 kb, you would only be wasting 3kb of space.

The exfat is a new file system that has smaller cluster sizes but is a proprietary file system from Microsoft. Microsoft is not open like Google and therefore not free. While Samsung can pay the price, these smaller dev communities can't or refuse to because it is closed and not open.

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there any type of utility to check for corrupt files? I will be putting a lot of music and pictures back on the phone and don't want to put anything that is corrupted back on it...

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you have a card reader either widows can do it or EaseUSPartitionMaster can.

in windows my computer, right click the sd card or the drive the files are located (such as c) and choose properties. Choose the tools tab and finally check drive for errors. yes it can take quite a while.

In PartitionMaster use the check partition option. make your selection and choose apply at the top.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Overall I like the update, and am still finding little things here and there. I really only have two complaints:

1. I want my send/receive icons/arrows back!! I am a status junkie, and want to know when data is (or is not) moving in either direction!!
  2. Events with multiple handlers now takes an extra tap. For example, assume you have Chrome installed. When you tap a URL, a box comes up allowing you to select which browser you want to use. For some items (like the browser), I like the freedom of choosing each time. With ICS, you just had to tap the browser you wanted and it went. There was a checkbox that you could select to make it the default before you selected your browser. NOW, you have to select your browser, then either hit "Every Time" or "Just Once". That's annoying. Give us the checkbox back. Why the extra tap?!

While I've disabled all the fancy Google Now stuff (would probably rarely use any of it), I'm STOKED that "universal search" is now back!! That's one of the things I loved about webOS' "just type". I could start typing and get apps/contacts pop up as well. So glad that's back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance