I've Got Jelly Bean on My GS3 and This Is What I Think!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Overall I like the update, and am still finding little things here and there. I really only have two complaints:

1. I want my send/receive icons/arrows back!! I am a status junkie, and want to know when data is (or is not) moving in either direction!!
  2. Events with multiple handlers now takes an extra tap. For example, assume you have Chrome installed. When you tap a URL, a box comes up allowing you to select which browser you want to use. For some items (like the browser), I like the freedom of choosing each time. With ICS, you just had to tap the browser you wanted and it went. There was a checkbox that you could select to make it the default before you selected your browser. NOW, you have to select your browser, then either hit "Every Time" or "Just Once". That's annoying. Give us the checkbox back. Why the extra tap?!

While I've disabled all the fancy Google Now stuff (would probably rarely use any of it), I'm STOKED that "universal search" is now back!! That's one of the things I loved about webOS' "just type". I could start typing and get apps/contacts pop up as well. So glad that's back!

I'm like you. I dislike the way it handles it when you have multiple app choices. And have also disabled Google now. Like voice it's just a novelty that gets in my way.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm like you. I dislike the way it handles it when you have multiple app choices. And have also disabled Google now. Like voice it's just a novelty that gets in my way.

You're crazy. I think it's really cool. Still trying to figure out how to get the full effects of it though.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Where do you disable google now?? I haven't really touched on 'Google now' oddly enough, lol!

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Discovered one more thing this afternoon I forgot about, that I'm not too fond of.

In ICS, I could hit the power button OR the home button to wake up the screen. While they both wake up the screen, the home button returns me to the home screen immediately. When I have the phone lying on my desk and the screen blanks, it's MUCH easier to hit the home button to bring the screen back on. Now, I have to hit the power button or the app in the foreground goes bye-bye. :-\

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You're crazy. I think it's really cool. Still trying to figure out how to get the full effects of it though.

I'm crazy? Really??? :D

How many times does it need to show me how long it will take to get home. How many times does it have to show me The Cowboys lost. :D

It puts so much useless garbage it makes it difficult to find what I'm really looking for. Like I said, I feel it is too much in your face. It needs to be more subdued. It just gets in my way.

If you feel otherwise that's fine. We all like different things. Because I feel it's a nuisance, doesn't mean I'm nuts. :what:

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
im not liking in the notification area it is showing a full preview of email....not sure if or how to turn that off

That's called expandable notifications and all u gotta do is close it with two fingers

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm crazy? Really??? :D

How many times does it need to show me how long it will take to get home. How many times does it have to show me The Cowboys lost. :D

It puts so much useless garbage it makes it difficult to find what I'm really looking for. Like I said, I feel it is too much in your face. It needs to be more subdued. It just gets in my way.

If you feel otherwise that's fine. We all like different things. Because I feel it's a nuisance, doesn't mean I'm nuts. :what:

I agree with you! Plus, I will just never like anything that tracks what I do and how I do things! I mean really...has it come to this that we can't even search for things on our own without having some system do it for us?!?! Are we that handicapped?!?!?!?!?

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm still disappointed that I can't mute the camera sound when taking a picture. The first time I thought it would be muted and I took a nice loud picture in a quiet part of a wedding was fun. I find many places I would like to use the camera quietly: weddings, church, kids recital... and I can't. Really annoying.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm still disappointed that I can't mute the camera sound when taking a picture. The first time I thought it would be muted and I took a nice loud picture in a quiet part of a wedding was fun. I find many places I would like to use the camera quietly: weddings, church, kids recital... and I can't. Really annoying.

Complain to you congressman. They are the cause. It is illegal in many states and counties. To avoid lawsuits, Samsung decided to make it difficult for you to do this.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
With regards to Google Now, I agree about all the cards and stuff in your face. So I have that feature turned off. Different strokes for different folks. However FOR ME, it is useful (and fun) to have it when I do need it. With speech activated, a simple "Remind me to call Gina at 3:00" sets an alarm for me. In the car, say "Broward Community College" and I get a nice map with options for written directions or (I love this) a simple button press to make a call to them without having to key in the phone number. This app can be used in many different ways. It's nice to use for sports info, weather info and airline status. All these features are available with different apps but it's nice to have everything rolled into 1 app. The calendar feature to set appointments is unfortunately not available yet but it will be a great feature that I am sure will be implemented soon. Right now it is rudimentary, but I think in 5 years we will look back and see that this was our future.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
With regards to Google Now, I agree about all the cards and stuff in your face. So I have that feature turned off. Different strokes for different folks. However FOR ME, it is useful (and fun) to have it when I do need it. With speech activated, a simple "Remind me to call Gina at 3:00" sets an alarm for me. In the car, say "Broward Community College" and I get a nice map with options for written directions or (I love this) a simple button press to make a call to them without having to key in the phone number. This app can be used in many different ways. It's nice to use for sports info, weather info and airline status. All these features are available with different apps but it's nice to have everything rolled into 1 app. The calendar feature to set appointments is unfortunately not available yet but it will be a great feature that I am sure will be implemented soon. Right now it is rudimentary, but I think in 5 years we will look back and see that this was our future.

These cards are no longer in your face, they are quietly in your notification bar when u pull it down now. They don't show up on the top like they use to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Complain to you congressman. They are the cause. It is illegal in many states and counties. To avoid lawsuits, Samsung decided to make it difficult for you to do this.

I don't understand this... My GF has the GS3 on Verizon and when she mutes her phone, it also mutes the camera.

Don't get why Verizon would be different than Spring if its a legal issue.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand this... My GF has the GS3 on Verizon and when she mutes her phone, it also mutes the camera.

Don't get why Verizon would be different than Spring if its a legal issue.

Every phone I've had for awhile now has had some default noise with the camera and I wasn't aware of it disappearing when the phone was silent. I understand why its done (the legal issues mentioned above). I'm sure we have all come across instances where we wish it didn't go off, it probably makes sense.

mobdad

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
These cards are no longer in your face, they are quietly in your notification bar when u pull it down now. They don't show up on the top like they use to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No cards in my notification bar which is how I like it. I just use the setting to turn this feature off.

demolester

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Ive observed that driving mode is not working properly, it still says whose calling but it no longer says who has sent you a message.
Driving mode also was removed in notication bar.

Sent from philippines

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ive observed that driving mode is not working properly, it still says whose calling but it no longer says who has sent you a message.
Driving mode also was removed in notication bar.

Sent from philippines

I never had driving mode in my notification bar... how do you access it??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888