Got Jellybean, now my battery life SUCKS!

Pebb1e

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. I tried doing a hard reset and turning off my phone to fix any files not installed completely.

What fixed it was with a full discharge at 0% and charged (turned off) until 100%. Then I unplugged for 15 minutes and continued to charge until another hour. Hope that helped.

JohnnyRanz

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone like two weeks and my battery life is terrible. It is a refurbished phone (I had an EVO LTE) and that had better life. I tried hard reset but I'm not too familiar with Samsung devices. I had 3 previous EVOs. What else should I do to get battery life? I'm usually connected to wifi at home and work, and bluetooth in my car. No gps on and weather syncs every couple hours. Anything else I should do or apps to download?

Btw just typing this I lost 2 percent on wifi. And my screen is on auto which is usually on the lowest setting as I'm never in bright areas lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had the issue licked until I restarted my phone. Whatever Media Server process runs, it takes a week or so to complete....then after that, battery life returns to normal. I restarted my phone yesterday while doing some troubleshooting on the Google Music issue...after the restart, the stupid process came back and never let up. I went through the night from 98% charge to 65% charge...commuted with the phone plugged in and it was up to 84% at around 6AM EST. A few minutes ago (12:50PM EST), it was down to 18%.

I shut the phone down...but smacked myself as upon reboot the process will start again. That process is SUPPOSED to run...but for what, I just have no idea.

*EDIT* Well...Media Server didn't run for too long after the reboot. The only thing I could think that might effect it was that I did away with Titanium Backup and all backup files contained with the application.

Last edited:

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My wife's SGIII worked great with ICS, but once she updated to JB her battery doesn't even make it until noon. I have tried doing a hard reset, turned off google now, and I downloaded "phone info" app to try turning off different radios manually and none of it works. I have called Sprint, and all I keep getting from them is this is a Google and Samsung issue and they cannot do anything for her. I have suggested they replace her phone because I know it isn't happening on every phone that received the update, but they will not replace it. Sprint's customer service has never really been that great. So, I wasn't expecting much, but this is BS.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife's SGIII worked great with ICS, but once she updated to JB her battery doesn't even make it until noon. I have tried doing a hard reset, turned off google now, and I downloaded "phone info" app to try turning off different radios manually and none of it works. I have called Sprint, and all I keep getting from them is this is a Google and Samsung issue and they cannot do anything for her. I have suggested they replace her phone because I know it isn't happening on every phone that received the update, but they will not replace it. Sprint's customer service has never really been that great. So, I wasn't expecting much, but this is BS.

1. back up important files and/or folder.
2. Factory reset device.
3. Reformat SD card (if you have one)
4. Finished!

mmohn01

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
1. back up important files and/or folder.
2. Factory reset device.
3. Reformat SD card (if you have one)
4. Finished!
Already tried all of those. According to Sprint, the update is causing some devices to leave on of the radios on. I just cannot figure out which one it is.

Buck69

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem since updating to Jellybean. GrooveRite stated that doing a hard reset and reformatting SD card did the trick for him.
I didn't want to do a hard reset, who does, it's a pain to go through if you aren't rooted (which I'm not) and backed up.
Well I broke down and did it, and fortunately it did the trick. It's worth trying if you've tried everything else. Sorry to hear others are still battling
the problem after a reset and reformatting. I haven't heard anything about the radios being left on. If it's so, hopefully they send out a fix soon.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem since updating to Jellybean. GrooveRite stated that doing a hard reset and reformatting SD card did the trick for him.
I didn't want to do a hard reset, who does, it's a pain to go through if you aren't rooted (which I'm not) and backed up.
Well I broke down and did it, and fortunately it did the trick. It's worth trying if you've tried everything else. Sorry to hear others are still battling
the problem after a reset and reformatting. I haven't heard anything about the radios being left on. If it's so, hopefully they send out a fix soon.

Thanks for stating that it worked for you! Perhaps some people are confused about what a factory reset is. I always thought that a soft reset was when you basically restart your phone through the device option feature in it and a hard reset is when you take the battery out for 10 seconds while the phone is on. Perhaps people are getting this mixed up. Again, if you want to do a factory reset, do the following on your SGS3.....

-System Settings
-Back up and reset
-Factory data reset
-Press 'Reset Device'

And to reformat your micro SD card.....

-System settings
-Storage
-Format SD card
-Press 'Format SD card'

The Needlemouse

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
2% aint bad. really? 2% per hour is 40% gone in 20 hours, 2 days standby without using is CRAP.
I'm losing 2% per 5 minutes having it on.

And I'm a software engineer so it's no "bad settings" crap. .. and I'm on 3f net. LTE drains 2% per 2 minutes.

jacksonista

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
This is precisely why I cannot push the "install" button from the JellyBean update notification that I receive on my phone about 30+ times per day. Yes, I get a push notification that many times and more daily from Samsung to take this update and I just cannot do it. I was a happy owner of a GS2 running GingerBread and happily took the ICS update when it came out. With that update, I got a max of 4 HOURS on a phone that used to last well over a day with moderate use and processes running in the background.

To try to get the battery to last longer, I had to reflash ROM, do a factory reset, cycle the battery, turn off all processes and background updates, and still only got about 5 hours from my phone. I finally broke down and upgraded, at a pretty penny, to the S3 and now I read all of the horror stories about the upgrade to JB and I just cannot believe that Samsung, Google and Sprint don't do extensive beta/field testing before these roll outs and offer some sort of way to revert back to the OS you were using if things go south.

I would have happily taken back gingerbread with my S2, a phone that in some ways I liked more than my S3, mainly the brilliant display it had. The S3's display may be slightly finer resolution, but it is washed out compared to the S2.

Okay, I hope you try a couple of the other things offered by people here to get your battery life back to what it was. It stinks to lose the "mobile" part of mobile phone...

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
This is precisely why I cannot push the "install" button from the JellyBean update notification that I receive on my phone about 30+ times per day. Yes, I get a push notification that many times and more daily from Samsung to take this update and I just cannot do it. I was a happy owner of a GS2 running GingerBread and happily took the ICS update when it came out. With that update, I got a max of 4 HOURS on a phone that used to last well over a day with moderate use and processes running in the background.

To try to get the battery to last longer, I had to reflash ROM, do a factory reset, cycle the battery, turn off all processes and background updates, and still only got about 5 hours from my phone. I finally broke down and upgraded, at a pretty penny, to the S3 and now I read all of the horror stories about the upgrade to JB and I just cannot believe that Samsung, Google and Sprint don't do extensive beta/field testing before these roll outs and offer some sort of way to revert back to the OS you were using if things go south.

I would have happily taken back gingerbread with my S2, a phone that in some ways I liked more than my S3, mainly the brilliant display it had. The S3's display may be slightly finer resolution, but it is washed out compared to the S2.

Okay, I hope you try a couple of the other things offered by people here to get your battery life back to what it was. It stinks to lose the "mobile" part of mobile phone...

The more I've used my s3 with jelly Bean, the better it has gotten. My S3 came with it from factory and my wife's didn't. We get exactly the same life with the exception of some day with more usage out of the normal....especially since I drive all day.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357491155808.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357491155808.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357491167678.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357491167678.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 18

Peter19081

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the exact same effect.The phone drains even when it's off now at an alarming rate.
I tried turning off everything posible, and guess what, still drains at an alarming rate of about 1% every minute or two.
Really makes the phone unusable as a mobile device because now I have to be tied to a power outlet.
Thanks to my carrier for being the last one to release this update but really what was the point in delaying the release when you still released it with this terrible flaw.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos