How do I actually use/incorporate Google Now?!

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I only have 1 "card" for the football game from yesterday (I set up my fave sports teams). But no other cards such as weather or anything else is popping up, even though I set it up. Can someone perhaps guide me through how to actually incorporate Google Now on my phone? Thanks!

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else with some tips? Also wondering how to get more "cards" to appear? Thanks!

Go into the settings and enable web history. Use Google search as much as possible. Also make sure you have location and gps enabled. Other than that just give it a few days to pick up on your habits. It will automatically start showing you more cards once it 'learns' your movements and interests. Believe me, things will start getting really creepy in no time lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Go into the settings and enable web history. Use Google search as much as possible. Also make sure you have location and gps enabled. Other than that just give it a few days to pick up on your habits. It will automatically start showing you more cards once it 'learns' your movements and interests. Believe me, things will start getting really creepy in no time lol

Speaking of creepy. I posted this a month ago. And it still sends shivers up and down my spine....
I'm rooted, using WS ROM. So I have google now....
Last night, I was searching for my prescription for the info I need to refill it from CVS.
I asked my wife "Have you seen my prescription refill slip from CVS?"
She said no.
Today, I flipped on google now, and there's directions to CVS in the navigation card.
True story, I swear to God.
I'm still a little freaked out truth be told.
(and no, I had not google searched anything to do with cvs, from any device)

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of creepy. I posted this a month ago. And it still sends shivers up and down my spine....
I'm rooted, using WS ROM. So I have google now....
Last night, I was searching for my prescription for the info I need to refill it from CVS.
I asked my wife "Have you seen my prescription refill slip from CVS?"
She said no.
Today, I flipped on google now, and there's directions to CVS in the navigation card.
True story, I swear to God.
I'm still a little freaked out truth be told.
(and no, I had not google searched anything to do with cvs, from any device)

Yeah that is creepy as hell! I know it picks up on any places that you frequent. I get notifications all the time asking ' is this place important to you?'. Places that I go often. Like my favorite convenience store, local Walmart, and my mother-in-law's house. What makes it creepy is the card pops up right when I'm about to go to one of those places. Like Now is reading my mind.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is creepy as hell! I know it picks up on any places that you frequent. I get notifications all the time asking ' is this place important to you?'. Places that I go often. Like my favorite convenience store, local Walmart, and my mother-in-law's house. What makes it creepy is the card pops up right when I'm about to go to one of those places. Like Now is reading my mind.

It never asks me anything like that lol... how'd you get that enabled? I have (and always have had) search history enabled and my location is enabled as well...

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done anything other than what I said in my first post. The next time you get a new traffic card swipe it away. When the card disappears it will ask you if the place is important to you. Tap yes and it will start to appear regularly.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done anything other than what I said in my first post. The next time you get a new traffic card swipe it away. When the card disappears it will ask you if the place is important to you. Tap yes and it will start to appear regularly.

I never get any traffic cards though and they are enabled! I get sports scores and weather...

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The updated version scanned my email, where I have a flight confirmation. Google Now started a card for that flight. It wasn't even in my calendar yet and I never searched Google for it. Cool... And definitely creepy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I wish it worked that way for me. I keep getting cards for random places I've never been. I have no idea what's at these locations, nor do I go anywhere near these places. It's starting to get annoying.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So guinea pigs.....I mean, fellow Android users.....how does it feel to be monitored by your government....I mean, Google??

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So guinea pigs.....I mean, fellow Android users.....how does it feel to be monitored by your government....I mean, Google??

It's liberating embracing the truth. I'd like it more if it showed more than just one upcoming meeting and allowed me to have my college teams added.

But if you're a "fellow android user", then you are also being tracked. You're just not benefiting from it like we are.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It does not get creepy. I use my Nexus 7 every day and use the Google Search in Google Now to search for everything. The only cards I get consistently are a weather card and a calendar card. Cards for football games usually show up a day or two after the game if at all, sometimes it shows me the route I never ever take to work because Google thinks an hour commute vs. my 40 - 45 minutes commute is better and it shows random Google Maps searches; not the most recent Maps searches but random searches from the time I got the Nexus a few months ago.

I swear Google Now is by far the most pointless app that has ever been pushed onto people. It may one day get kinda cool, but until that day comes Google needs to stop hyping it and talking about it altogether.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It's liberating embracing the truth. I'd like it more if it showed more than just one upcoming meeting and allowed me to have my college teams added.

But if you're a "fellow android user", then you are also being tracked. You're just not benefiting from it like we are.

Amen to having college teams added. I only care about the NFL because of Fantasy Football. Adding college teams to Google Now would be awesome, only if it worked in a timely manner though.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I only have 1 "card" for the football game from yesterday (I set up my fave sports teams). But no other cards such as weather or anything else is popping up, even though I set it up. Can someone perhaps guide me through how to actually incorporate Google Now on my phone? Thanks!

This will be the last thing I say about Google Now for a while. If you need instructions on how to "incorporate" it into your phone then it is a horribly designed app that is not worth using.
For Google Now to be as great as Google is trying to hype it to be, it needs to be so simple that the most novice of smartphone users look at it and know how to use it without going to the internet to find a user manual.

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This will be the last thing I say about Google Now for a while. If you need instructions on how to "incorporate" it into your phone then it is a horribly designed app that is not worth using.
For Google Now to be as great as Google is trying to hype it to be, it needs to be so simple that the most novice of smartphone users look at it and know how to use it without going to the internet to find a user manual.
We are just looking for ways to maximize it's potential. Without doing anything, it identified my drive to work and home, places of interest, weather and other items in 48hrs. But us nerds just want to see if there is anything else we can do to maximize it's use and show off the features. It also works well with natural voice unlike the first google voice search which required commands so I find it IS so simple that anyone can use it. If anything, it is us who are trying to hard because we are so used to voice search requiring configuration, commands, and a user manual when in reality Google Now is natural and requires virtually no setup.

bergeronjc#WN

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
We are just looking for ways to maximize it's potential. Without doing anything, it identified my drive to work and home, places of interest, weather and other items in 48hrs. But us nerds just want to see if there is anything else we can do to maximize it's use and show off the features. It also works well with natural voice unlike the first google voice search which required commands so I find it IS so simple that anyone can use it. If anything, it is us who are trying to hard because we are so used to voice search requiring configuration, commands, and a user manual when in reality Google Now is natural and requires virtually no setup.

Not really. I use the Dolphin browser voice search quite a bit and use the Google Now voice search. I think the voice search is awesome since it recognizes everything I say; I'm just saying that Google Now is pointless for all the reasons I listed. I've activated every setting as well and it still sucks (for lack of a better word).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke