How do I do a Factory Data Reset aka Hard Reset?

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I manually DL'ed JellyBean and bc of the very minor glitches it has I am pondering about doing a Hard Reset. My phone is running wonderfully as I expect it should. I've had it for 4 months and I think this would do no harm and will only help the phone perform better. What steps do I go about doing this and how do I backup my files bc I do not wanna lose everything! I am totally 100% stock. Thanks!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I manually DL'ed JellyBean and bc of the very minor glitches it has I am pondering about doing a Hard Reset. My phone is running wonderfully as I expect it should. I've had it for 4 months and I think this would do no harm and will only help the phone perform better. What steps do I go about doing this and how do I backup my files bc I do not wanna lose everything! I am totally 100% stock. Thanks!

First, get a good backup app, such as MyBackup Pro, etc. Or you can backup everything to your computer. Once you've done the backup, go to Settings>Back up and reset>Factory data reset.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How do I go about backing up to my comp??

I actually use Kies to backup/restore from my phone. After you download Kies to your computer, open it, connect your device and wait for the drivers to download. Run a sync. After the sync completes, choose Backup/Restore and check All in the Backup. Do not unplug your device until the backup is complete. Then you can unplug and do your factory reset. After it's reset, you can go back to Kies and restore everything.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
First off a factory reset will not delete anything off either your external sdcard or internal sdcard. it will only remove your accounts apps and app data. What exactly are you trying to back up.

Pics, videos, and my settings (if possible). I run Nova Launcher instead of TouchWiz and I'd HATE to lose all of my settings on Nova plus the settings from my phone as well. Just wondering if it's possible lol.

And also, what's the reset that deletes EVERYTHING and basically makes your phone like it just came out of the box??

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Pics, videos, and my settings (if possible). I run Nova Launcher instead of TouchWiz and I'd HATE to lose all of my settings on Nova plus the settings from my phone as well. Just wondering if it's possible lol.

And also, what's the reset that deletes EVERYTHING and basically makes your phone like it just came out of the box??

The sdcard and internal sd card contents are safe from all factory resets only if you specifically try to clear that well they be touched. Nova settings are easy to back up. Go to menu / nova settings / back up and import. Nova will backup your settings to you internal sd card which is safe from factory resets.

Phone settings are the ones you want to clear on factory resets. Not much you can do about those.

Right now I'm in the middle of football. I will post a tutorial on resets after the cowboys beat the eagles.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The sdcard and internal sd card contents are safe from all factory resets only if you specifically try to clear that well they be touched. Nova settings are easy to back up. Go to menu / nova settings / back up and import. Nova will backup your settings to you internal sd card which is safe from factory resets.

Phone settings are the ones you want to clear on factory resets. Not much you can do about those.

Right now I'm in the middle of football. I will post a tutorial on resets after the cowboys beat the eagles.

Hahaha ok sounds good, thanks a lot. BTW..... GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

What exactly do you need to know it's pretty simple.

APP Settings can be saved With Titanium backup. But the point behind a factory reset is to start from scratch. It does no good it you put the same crap back on your phone.

A factory reset can be done a number of ways
TWRP
CWM
Stock Recovery
Settings menu

All of them do the exact same thing. It deletes all of your apps, settings, passwords, accounts. It makes your phone the same as if you went to a store and bought a new phone. It Deletes everything except what is on your internal and external sd cards which it doesn't touch.
Some apps such as nova can save there settings. Nova has a save setting option and the settings will be saved in mnt/sdcard/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/backup folder.

Your best friend as far as restoring apps is Titanium Backup. (Get the paid version this is too important to be cheap.) If you can't afford this you shouldn't have bought this phone.
Titanium backup saves all of your apps and app data to your internal sdcard by default. It does this because it knows that files saved here are safe from factory reset. Unless you go in and purposely format your internal sd card or external sd card data saved here is safe from most wipes and formats.

If you have any specific questions ask. This is pretty basic stuff.

Last edited:

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
What exactly do you need to know it's pretty simple.

APP Settings can be saved With Titanium backup. But the point behind a factory reset is to start from scratch. It does no good it you put the same crap back on your phone.

A factory reset can be done a number of ways
TWRP
CWM
Stock Recovery
Settings menu

All of them do the exact same thing. It deletes all of your apps, settings, passwords, accounts. It makes your phone the same as if you went to a store and bought a new phone. It Deletes everything except what is on your internal and external sd cards which it doesn't touch.
Some apps such as nova can save there settings. Nova has a save setting option and the settings will be saved in mnt/sdcard/data/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/backup folder.

Your best friend as far as restoring apps is Titanium Backup. (Get the paid version this is too important to be cheap.) If you can't afford this you shouldn't have bought this phone.
Titanium backup saves all of your apps and app data to your internal sdcard by default. It does this because it knows that files saved here are safe from factory reset. Unless you go in and purposely format your internal sd card or external sd card data saved here is safe from most wipes and formats.

If you have any specific questions ask. This is pretty basic stuff.

Sweet!!! But I have a few ?'s before I go ahead and do this:
1. Isn't Titanium Backup only for rooted phones? I am 100% stock.
2. Wouldn't using Titanium Backup defeat the purpose of doing a factory reset if I'm just going to restore everything after lol?
3. So ALL my pics/videos are safe?!
4. How do I reset my internal memory and my SD card? (probably won't do it, just wanna know for future reference just in case)

Thank you so much.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sweet!!! But I have a few ?'s before I go ahead and do this:
1. Isn't Titanium Backup only for rooted phones? I am 100% stock.
2. Wouldn't using Titanium Backup defeat the purpose of doing a factory reset if I'm just going to restore everything after lol?
3. So ALL my pics/videos are safe?!
4. How do I reset my internal memory and my SD card? (probably won't do it, just wanna know for future reference just in case)

Thank you so much.

Yes titanium backup is only for rooted phones. I use titanium backup for a few apps that are critical. Such as my checkbook...

If your pictures and videos are on either your internal our external sd cards they are safe from a factory reset. To back up these simply copy and paste them from your phone to your computer using the usb cord. Simple as that... then simply delete everything from the card.

Your contacts should be on the google cloud. If not, you you need to get them there.

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes titanium backup is only for rooted phones. I use titanium backup for a few apps that are critical. Such as my checkbook...

If your pictures and videos are on either your internal our external sd cards they are safe from a factory reset. To back up these simply copy and paste them from your phone to your computer using the usb cord. Simple as that... then simply delete everything from the card.

Your contacts should be on the google cloud. If not, you you need to get them there.

Ok so how do I wipe out everything then?!?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes and I said to clear the sd card just delete the files after saving them to your computer. I also told you how to save the contents of the sd sdcard to your computer.

Ohhh I didn't know that it HAD to be manually done, I thought that there was a way to also do that from the phone. Gotcha now though. Thanks a bunch.

Flasoxgirl

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I am having a problem with my camera. I can take pictures but when I click on them the screen freezes. I am thinking a factory reset is the best way to fix it since this is a problem since the day I got this phone (It was a replacement phone). I want to backup my music on the phone, what is the best way to do this. It is supposed to save on the SD card but I have learned the hard way that I can't count on that.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having a problem with my camera. I can take pictures but when I click on them the screen freezes. I am thinking a factory reset is the best way to fix it since this is a problem since the day I got this phone (It was a replacement phone). I want to backup my music on the phone, what is the best way to do this. It is supposed to save on the SD card but I have learned the hard way that I can't count on that.

If you have a pc, make sure Kies is installed, it's kinda slow at first run, but it let's you backup everything, like iTunes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo