New to Galaxy S III

splattered

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Long time Evo 3D user here about to make the transition to the GS3 due to the Black Friday sale... already got my order in now i'm just waiting for the phone to arrive.

I usually change phones out fairly often but i have been surprisingly content with the Evo 3D since its launch. My uncle has the S3 though which i have used a bit and have been impressed with and so i just couldn't resist the upgrade sale.

I currently have a stock Evo with the otterbox commuter case... i took a look at the commuter for the GS3 online and it has a ton of complaints about it being tough to press the buttons. Does anyone here use the case and would be able to chime in with advice on whether or not to get this case despite the iffy reviews on Amazon?

The last time i transferred my phone data in a sprint store everything came over but the app data seemingly did not... all my settings and scores in games etc were reset. Had to re-download all apps etc but i expected that. It really sucked to lose all that progress in angry birds etc though haha ... whats the best free app out right now i can use to back up all my data etc without rooting the phone? I saw on another thread here Titanium as a suggestion but when i checked it out on the play store it says your phone needs to be rooted :/

trinamorgan88

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Long time Evo 3D user here about to make the transition to the GS3 due to the Black Friday sale... already got my order in now i'm just waiting for the phone to arrive.

I usually change phones out fairly often but i have been surprisingly content with the Evo 3D since its launch. My uncle has the S3 though which i have used a bit and have been impressed with and so i just couldn't resist the upgrade sale.

I currently have a stock Evo with the otterbox commuter case... i took a look at the commuter for the GS3 online and it has a ton of complaints about it being tough to press the buttons. Does anyone here use the case and would be able to chime in with advice on whether or not to get this case despite the iffy reviews on Amazon?

The last time i transferred my phone data in a sprint store everything came over but the app data seemingly did not... all my settings and scores in games etc were reset. Had to re-download all apps etc but i expected that. It really sucked to lose all that progress in angry birds etc though haha ... whats the best free app out right now i can use to back up all my data etc without rooting the phone? I saw on another thread here Titanium as a suggestion but when i checked it out on the play store it says your phone needs to be rooted :/

I'm a former EVO 3D user, now on a 32gb GS3. I have the OtterBox Defender on mine and the power button you gotta hold on to it when you start. I don't notice any other difference.
Yes, you are going to lose your progress in Angry Birds and other apps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Irish#AC

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if it is free but titanium backup should be able to back up all your app data onto dropbox and then put it on your new phone

splattered

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: New to Galaxy S3

Well i see that Titanium Backup has a free version but the product description says that you need to have a rooted phone, so i dunno?

I guess i can live with losing game progress etc in my apps, but i want to be able to backup pics and everything else and then reformat my card before i put it in the S3.

Should i just do this manually on the PC via USB or is there an easier solution out there? My GF has the GS2 and is also getting the GS3 and wants to do the same thing.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You have to be rooted to save app data, no way around that.

As far as backing up the sdcard, I find what you said to be the easiest. Hook the usb up, make a new folder on the pc, move the files there, disconnect, format the card, reconnect, replace the stuff on the sdcard.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well i see that Titanium Backup has a free version but the product description says that you need to have a rooted phone, so i dunno?

I guess i can live with losing game progress etc in my apps, but i want to be able to backup pics and everything else and then reformat my card before i put it in the S3.

Should i just do this manually on the PC via USB or is there an easier solution out there? My GF has the GS2 and is also getting the GS3 and wants to do the same thing.

Yes just copy and paste your files over to the computer with the usb or card reader of you have it. If you format your external sdcard it is best to do so in the fat32 file system.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

I bought Rerware's MyBackup Pro awhile back when I moved from my HTC Hero to the HTC EVO 4G (OG!). You don't need to be rooted or anything. It will backup your apps and/or data. I just found my activation code yesterday, manually downloaded the apk from their site and activated it on my Galaxy. On my EVO, I did an online backup of my contacts, text messages, and bookmarks. (All my programs pretty much came down automatically from Google Play anyway, so there wasn't much of a point in moving them with the data backup). On my Galaxy, I opened the program, hit restore, chose online and selected the backup I had initiated on my EVO. It brought all my items down without issue.

What's really nice about that program is that if you ARE rooted, you can freeze the bloatware and other things as we've been doing with Titanium. Because i have the pro version of MyBackup, I just will use that to do my freezing of apps that I'm unable to freeze with the stock OS.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm...i never rooted my Hero way back when. I brought over my sms messages, pictures, and other random settings. I thought I brought over my screen settings and layout with it. I don't think I brought over any apps from that phone but it was a long time ago. I restored it onto the EVO which at the time was not rooted. After rooting the OG, I definitely ran some backups of apps and data and all that fun stuff. Nonetheless, it's a nice program to get things from point A to point B and it's on sale for $2.99 which is well worth the price of admission.

splattered

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Woo Hoo! Got my phone yesterday and i love it... so awesome :D
I already imported my contacts via Google sync and redownloaded all my apps via the google play and amazon stores...
Last thing to do is transfer over my pics i guess?
I'd rather not drag both phones into a sprint store... i could transfer all my pics off my current SD card and reformat the SD card and then transfer the pics back i guess... would there be anything else stored on the SD card or phone that i wouldn't get if i don't take the phones into a store and have them do a data transfer there?

splattered

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

HOLY CRAP... haha i just looked a my contacts from when i first sync'd with google when i activated this phone and it threw 189 contacts in my list. Argh. I only had maybe 20 i was actively using with my Evo 3D... tons of these look like instant messenger names from Yahoo/MSN/ETC .. how do i get rid of all the ones i don't want? Just manually delete them all? Is there a way to de-select them from an options list somewhere?

Also, when i set up my yahoo e-mail it pulled in 25 older e-mails i already opened and had sitting in my yahoo inbox... i don't want these sitting there staring at me every time i open my e-mail, is there a way to undo this without deleting them? Cause it syncs with my actual Yahoo account, right? I delete them in one place or the other and they go bye bye?

***Ok, one more thing bothering me... i transferred my photos from my SD card to PC, reformatted FAT32, put it in the new phone... took a picture and selected send pics to external SD card. So... i used my GFs phone to send my new phone a picture, hooked my USB cable to my S3... looked for the downloaded pic directory to transfer my saved picture to and... doesn't exist. Whaaa? I went and found the saved picture and checked the details and the phone sends it to my phones internal memory. Grrr. I can't find how to change a phones download file location anywhere via Google either. Why did they do this?

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Problem one is a snyc issue. Somewhere you are syncing these in. To get rid of them faster, sync them up with Google, go into your Gmail account an delete them there. Then resync.

Problem two is I don't think you can do anything with except create a new folder on yahoo, move them there. That way they will not be in your inbox

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Problem three is also a nothing you can do about it kinda deal. Google wants to kill the sdcard so that is where android saves everything... Internally.

Ytsejamer1

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

HOLY CRAP... haha i just looked a my contacts from when i first sync'd with google when i activated this phone and it threw 189 contacts in my list. Argh. I only had maybe 20 i was actively using with my Evo 3D... tons of these look like instant messenger names from Yahoo/MSN/ETC .. how do i get rid of all the ones i don't want? Just manually delete them all? Is there a way to de-select them from an options list somewhere?
I found that I had to manually configure which contacts I wanted to sync to my phone. I picked only Gmail, but it brought in addresses from every Tom, Dick, and Harry that emailed me or vice versa. I went into my People/Contacts>brought up the menu>Chose Contacts to Display>Clicked on Customized List at the bottom of the accounts to sync contacts from and hit the little gear icon to the right>Expanded my Gmail account (or yahoo for you, whichever email account has your contacts will do)>then selected only the My Contacts which is Google's default contact list container. I think by default, the phone has its own contacts list, Google has five different auto-populated lists, etc. It's a real PITA. But customized list is most likely your answer.

Also, when i set up my yahoo e-mail it pulled in 25 older e-mails i already opened and had sitting in my yahoo inbox... i don't want these sitting there staring at me every time i open my e-mail, is there a way to undo this without deleting them? Cause it syncs with my actual Yahoo account, right? I delete them in one place or the other and they go bye bye?
Go into the account sync properties and only sync 3 days of mail or something. By default, it may grab 14 days of mail.

***Ok, one more thing bothering me... i transferred my photos from my SD card to PC, reformatted FAT32, put it in the new phone... took a picture and selected send pics to external SD card. So... i used my GFs phone to send my new phone a picture, hooked my USB cable to my S3... looked for the downloaded pic directory to transfer my saved picture to and... doesn't exist. Whaaa? I went and found the saved picture and checked the details and the phone sends it to my phones internal memory. Grrr. I can't find how to change a phones download file location anywhere via Google either. Why did they do this?
When I input my SD card, then eventually opening the camera app, it detected there was an external card and asked if I wanted to save my pictures there. I said yes. As such, all pictures taken by the camera are present in that location. On your phone, open My Files, click on extSdCard, there should be a DCIM\Camera\ folder structure. If not, create one and move the files from the internal "sdcard" to that folder. Then try getting rid of the "sdcard" DCIM\Camera folder structure. Hopefully that way, it'll just find it on the card, looking in the "secondary" location. Again...I'm taking a guess as to what will work for a phone set to use the default "sdcard" directory. Worse comes to worse, just recreate the folder structure and all should work normally again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12