how to deactivate my s3

Charlie Blair

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
So heres the story. I have a galaxy s3'that is activated with sprint under my x gf parents account. It was a bad break up and out of spite they stopped the signal to the phone but its still actively in service. I dont have the account password and they will not deactivate the phone or let me switch out the phone with another so I can sell it. Is there anyway to whip the hard drive or some how get the phone deCtivated with a clean esn so I cant sell it to someone and have it able to use.

gilbequick

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope, the phone is under their account. You can't do squat, only the account holder.

You can't put a new esn on a phone.

Why wouldn't you want to use it, why do you want to sell it? It's time to put on your big boy pants and get your own account.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, if it's any consolation they are still having to pay for your service even though they turned of access to your phone (of course that might only be $20/month).

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Your pooched. Only the account holder can do anything with the account. I'd be carefull though cause if they wanted to be a-holes, they could come after you for theft (which would be a felony) if you don't give it back.

jhill110

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
So heres the story. I have a galaxy s3'that is activated with sprint under my x gf parents account. It was a bad break up and out of spite they stopped the signal to the phone but its still actively in service. I dont have the account password and they will not deactivate the phone or let me switch out the phone with another so I can sell it. Is there anyway to whip the hard drive or some how get the phone deCtivated with a clean esn so I cant sell it to someone and have it able to use.

These phones still command a nice chunk of change even with a bad esn. Check eBay out and you can get a good idea of what they go for. Hell, my first android phone had a bad esn. I just went ahead and... Well, never mind... Don't want to get the hack police around here after me. :D

Oh, and as far as being charged with theft... If they bought it and gave it to you to use don't worry about getting charged. A way to check is call CS (*2 may still work) and ask if the phone is reported stolen or what the status is just to be sure.

Boy, My mind is so damn devious. :cool:

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My sister is going through the same thing with her ex. Her phone is under his name, and he keeps threatening to block her service just to spite her and because he doesn't want to pay her $350 ETF (which I suspect is a big reason your ex's parents won't remove your phone).

I'd say to just get your own phone and account for now, and when you finally get them to stop being douches and your ESN is cleared, sell either of the phones to recoup the cost. That's what my sister's doing, except instead of her own account, she's gonna be on mine.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
These phones still command a nice chunk of change even with a bad esn. Check eBay out and you can get a good idea of what they go for. Hell, my first android phone had a bad esn. I just went ahead and... Well, never mind... Don't want to get the hack police around here after me. :D

Oh, and as far as being charged with theft... If they bought it and gave it to you to use don't worry about getting charged. A way to check is call CS (*2 may still work) and ask if the phone is reported stolen or what the status is just to be sure.

Boy, My mind is so damn devious. :cool:

If they bought it and gave him the phone as a gift...then no, theft isn't an option for them. But they could take him to small claims court to "try" to get it back. Now, if they added a line and paid 200 bucks for it and let him "use" the phone till such time they want it back and he doesn't deliver it....then yeah...they can report it stolen and have him arrested for grand theft. That's the way the OS's bounce......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87